Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Japan – let's actually do something?
  • twentyniners
    Free Member

OK, leaving aside the already argued threads – doom, Nuclear Reactors for beginners – how about something like this?

It’s much simpler – and I think but haven’t properly checked – that the Japanese Government want cash. In any event the money could go to the Japanese Red Cross.

Put your spare, extra, back of the box, bike bits that ‘might come in useful one day’ on classifieds. They have come in useful, and that day is now. I’m not talking about old knackered stuff….. I’ll chuck in some top quality gear that is really worth having.

Sell it to other STW’ers who PP Japanese Red Cross, or whoever, You (seller) pay the postage to ‘get rid’ of your own prized possessions. Sorry, but that’s where we’re at.

We’ve (gross generalisation but you take my point) all got stuff in the shed/garage/cupboard. Let’s share it round and get the money where it’s needed.

It’s not going to change the world, but it’s a step towards helping.

Would put tin foil hat on if I was in that kind of mood. And any better suggestions welcome.

Al

ojom
    Free Member

Gimme a shout tomorrow. We are doing a ‘thing’.

Mark.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

That’s a good idea Al. I’ve got some popular stuff in the garage that so far I cling on to in the vain hope I might use it.

So you’ve kicked me into action. I’m going to start my FS thread with

FS Japanese Red Cross- Charge Spoon and more

loddrik
    Free Member

Yeah, lets all buy some Shimano…

TheFlyingOx

This has inspired me to get rid of some quite useful car bits. Thank you.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“Yeah, lets all buy some Shimano…”

Actually, quite a good idea.

murderburgh
    Free Member

“Yeah, lets all buy some Shimano…”

Actually, quite a good idea.

LBS’ could offer some money up too when buying from the big S, would be cool

Jamie
    Free Member

I just donated directly.

…just seems easier.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What about all the other countries suffering from natural/Humanitarian disasters, war, famine, disease, etc?

I admire the sentiment, and genuinely sympathise with all those suffering, but Japan is after all a relatively wealthy nation, and is capable of sorting out a lot of issues by itself. Not to say they don’t need the World’s help, but it’s easy to forget all the other worthy causes when something like this happens.

There are those here in the UK deserving of help too.

Jamie
    Free Member

/cynical mode on

It does seem a bit one sided, but then the little guy always will be last in line.

I mean what has Haiti got to offer us eh?

/cynic mode off

All the same, if someone was previously doing nothing, but will now do something for a someone else then it can’t be bad eh?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Weren’t meant to sound like ‘sod Japan they can sort themselves out’, but I do think it’s important people think of other places and people suffering too.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Agreed

twentyniners
    Free Member

Jamie, good for you – donating directly – and I’m not being sarky

My point was more that there is possibly an untapped resource in the nation’s sheds and now might be a good time to get off our collective arses and do something….. and swap it round a bit.

That’s all.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Weren’t meant to sound like ‘sod Japan they can sort themselves out’, but I do think it’s important people

Well get out of your own arse then! For goodness sake, most normal and rightminded folks try and do the right thing (incl me with Haiti, Pakistan etc) but there are always whingers here.

Some folk want to help. You dont. Well shut the fuch up then!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Some folk want to help. You dont. Well shut the fuch up then!

Now sit down, relax, unclench, breathe, and have a think about what I’m really saying, rather than what you think I’m saying. 

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Japan is after all a relatively wealthy nation, and is capable of sorting out a lot of issues by itself.

That’s my relaxed cut’n’paste of what you said.

ASSHOLE.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

CSW, didn’t you know? you’re not supposed to call elfin names, it makes him sulk and he won’t talk to you now.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Now sit down, relax, unclench, breathe, and have a think about what I’m really saying, rather than what you think I’m saying.

so what are you saying? I shouldn’t give cash to Japan I should give it to some other nation? I should give to Japan and another nation or I should give to everyone?

I’m so worried I may do the wrong thing I will just go spend the cash down the pub instead. Fancy a pint?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Elfin… Japan is not a ‘relatively wealthy nation’ it is a very wealthy nation… a GDP possibly twice the UK’s, I’m guessing the 3rd largest economy behind the US and China.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

So, you din’t bother to read this bit then:

Not to say they don’t need the World’s help

S’ok CharlesMungus; it’s an emotive subject, and it’s predictable that some people may misinterpret my words.

Fortunately, it’s apparent others understand what I meant though.

Make mine something suitably ostentatious and expensive, Rubber Bucc…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I think it may be because you used too many negatives, it makes it ambiguous for some folks.

Not to say they don’t need the World’s help

Is that better for everyone?

oh and I’m no more a Charles than Junkyard is a Junkie

twentyniners
    Free Member

TSY – and with a population of circa 127 million, GDP per capita puts them at mid 20’s. GDP total, yes, 3rd.

sputnik
    Free Member

I kinda agree with elfin.
    Read this : Don’t donate money to Japan

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

That’s a really good article sputnik. Yes ideally donations should not be “ring-fenced” or in anyway be restricted/targeted. This quote sums it up beautifully :

“I’ve just donated $400 in unrestricted funds to MSF. Some of it might go to Japan; all of it will go to areas where it’s sorely needed. I’d urge you to do the same, rather than try to target money at whichever disaster might be in the news today.”

Unfortunately the weakness in that argument is that people are motivated primarily by what they see on the telly (and with the amount of video cameras per capita in Japan that’s a lot) so if they don’t give to a highly publicised disaster then it is very likely that they won’t give at all.

And of course anything is better than nothing.

Agencies need to exploit headline grabbing disasters, but they should not be forced to direct all the donations to a specific disaster. Really it’s up to those who organise, set up, and coordinate, donations from collection points such as banks, to guarantee that they are set up in such a way which is not restrictive, eg, “donate here to the Red Cross following the earthquake in Japan” but leave it the Red Cross to decide how it uses the donation.

cynic-al
    Free Member

agree with Fred…your money could save WAY more lives being donated to numerous other less prominent causes.

or you could help me run a marathon :p

http://www.justgiving.com/alanscole

billybob
    Free Member

It’s not just Japan that needs help at the moment? The countries that Shelterbox is in here are probably more in need of your donations cos they haven’t made the news…

DrJ
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks Paul

paulosoxo
    Free Member

No worries

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Japan – let's actually do something?’ is closed to new replies.