• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Japan disappeared completely?
  • schrickvr6
    Free Member

Or just from the news? So everything is hunkydory there now and the cleanup was a roaring success?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Fukushima nuclear power plant earlier today.

They’re just setting out the sushi and sake.

bigjim

I think the media got fed up that there wasn’t going to be an almighty nuclear explosion they could shoot their load about and that there are more explosions and injured children to film in Libya.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I am sure there is still plenty of reporting going on about Japan and the current situation but the news streams have simply decided it is no longer ‘headline’ news – I am not sure there is anything wrong in that. Surely if you are interested you can go and find the news – you don’t have to wait until someone tells you it.

Trimix
    Free Member

Ive often wondered where storys go. There are loads the fall off the media radar. It must be someone job to decide whats worth hyping up and whats not – who are they and how do the decide.

miketually
    Free Member

I’d assumed all was hunky dory in Libya as it had disappeared from the news, which was full of Japanese earthquake/tsunami/meltdown.

You’d think there would be room for multiple stories on 24 hour rolling news, rather than the same one repeated over an over. Maybe even for some depth of coverage and alternative analysis.

cynic-al
    Free Member

meanwhile, lots of folk die avoidably on a daily basis in other poorer parts of teh world…

kaesae
    Free Member

The problem I have is who decides what is news ❓

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ive often wondered where storys go.

They get packed off to a tropical island where they quietly spend their remaining days.

Fukushima was news last week partly because there was something new happening every day. I believe that things are pretty much stabilised these days and there isn’t much new to report.

The problem I have is who decides what is news

Well one of the persons who decides what is news is my niece. She’s responsible for 3 News at Ten bulletins per week, plus she’s ITN news input editor. She bases her decisions on what she believes to public wants to know. Her decisions have been a source of some disagreement between me and her in the past, but who am I to argue with her – her uncle is building worker, and she and her team have won broadcasting awards including a BAFTA.

cbike
    Free Member

News = What’s NEW. It’s not a soap opera.

hora
    Free Member

Aye in a way its ‘new’s.

Libya?
    Japan?
    What about the still growing body-count in Iraq? 100,000+ isn’t it?

crazy-legs

You’d think there would be room for multiple stories on 24 hour rolling news, rather than the same one repeated over an over. Maybe even for some depth of coverage and alternative analysis.

I think you’re massively over-estimating the intelligence and attention span of the average viewer of rolling news channels…

cheers_drive

Some colleagues of mine have been flown back to the UK as a precaution and they said the western media has totally over blown the nuclear thing and are shooting a normal check-in queue and making it look like thousands of people leaving. They are also shooting all the people wearing white masks which is normal in japan in hayfever season or if you have a cold.

CountZero

Japan was featured on tonight’s national news. Your point, caller?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

They are also shooting all the people wearing white masks which is normal in japan in hayfever season or if you have a cold.

Well anyone who walks around wearing a white mask because they are worried about hayfever or cold, deserves to be shot IMHO.

Dobbo

This is interesting from CNN. Probably better watching the link in larger window.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLDcB4cg2gg&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Blower
    Free Member

im sure Daybreak news is more important 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Some colleagues of mine have been flown back to the UK as a precaution and they said the western media has totally over blown the nuclear thing and are shooting a normal check-in queue and making it look like thousands of people leaving. They are also shooting all the people wearing white masks which is normal in japan in hayfever season or if you have a cold

Now that puts it firmly into context for me. When Roma played Man U in Manchester the media portrayed it as a fight/troublefest and showed lots of ‘fighting’ on tv. I walked round the area pre-start with Bingo and all I noticed was alot of camera men crowding around a bottleneck/crowd concentration at the front of the stadium. They got their pics though.

Sadly the bloody Rangers fans did cause abit of trouble in Picaddily Gardens!!!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Japan disappeared completely?’ is closed to new replies.