• This topic has 45 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Japan and damage to bike trade ?
  • scruzer
    Free Member

Maybe this has already been done, and I know the human cost is un measurable but will the recent disaster effect production/export of bike bits from the likes of Shimano. I imagine it will hit us at some point..? Anyone panick buying?

Jamie
    Free Member

I know you popped in a caveat, but this is still in poor taste.

In my humble opinion of course.

JoeBones
    Free Member

Knock knock

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jamie, agreed.

woffle
    Free Member

wow – really? 10/10 for troll though (which I presume it is)…

chakaping
    Free Member

I saw a story on another site with Shimano basically saying: “We know it’s really terrible and all that, but we want to let everyone know we are miles away and completely unaffected.”

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/shimano-unaffected-by-japanese-earthquake-and-tsunami-29599

They were probably asked about it by journalists rather than putting out a press release though, or at least I’d hope so.

pastcaring
    Free Member

who give a ****! thousands of people missing and your worried if you can get a new bit for your bike.

scruzer
    Free Member

No not worried about bike parts, thinking about this after Honda have released information about their car production etc and the likelyhood of parts being stocked up. I am being curious here and relating a general consumer issue to our interests? So no intention of being insenitive or offensive.

phatstanley
    Free Member

em·pa·thy
    noun \?em-p?-th?\
    Definition of EMPATHY
    1 : the imaginative projection of a subjective state into an object so that the object appears to be infused with it
    2 : the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner; also : the capacity for this.

pastcaring
    Free Member

you may have had no intention, but you must see how insensitive and offensive this is?

my friends parents are still missing, their town isn’t there anymore. if i could swap riding for their safety i’d never get on a bike again!

please don’t reply! just let this drop down the page

stumpyjon

who give a ****! thousands of people missing and your worried if you can get a new bit for your bike.[/quote]

which is what most of us do everyday….doubt if many people on here stopped ordering from CRC because of the horrors happening in New Zealand, Libya, Bahrain, Tunisia, Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Syria, Australia……

Very easy to take the selctive moral high ground isn’t it. Probably the most practical thing most of us can do short of donating directly to the disaster appeal (i.e. http://www.shelterbox.org/ ) is carry on buying Japanese components and support their economy.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Not really concerned. If we run out of Shimano in the shop or parts for my Honda, I’ll deal with it. You’re kidding, right?

yunki
    Free Member

to be honest… parts availability hasn’t been the first thing on my mind over the last few days.. but to accuse someone of having no empathy.. of being insensitive..
    for asking a bike related question pertaining to current affairs.. on a cycling forum..

some of you socially uptight sanctimonious malcontents really need to pull your heads out of your arses..

absolutely ridiculous.. if you honestly feel that strongly about it what the hell are you doing wasting time loitering around on the forum when you could be doing something far more noble and heroic..?

cringeworthy

stumpyjon

yunki

I thnk you just had the balls to say what I really wanted to ❗

Oxboy
    Free Member

hear hear Yunki

OCB
    Free Member

stumpyjon:
    Probably the most practical thing most of us can do short of donating directly to the disaster appeal (i.e. http://www.shelterbox.org/ ) is carry on buying Japanese components and support their economy.

Summed up perfectly.

Top.Dog
    Free Member

i’m with yoy Yunki 🙂

parkesie
    Free Member

yunki takes the nail and hits it on the head.

El-bent
    Free Member

to be honest… parts availability hasn’t been the first thing on my mind over the last few days.. but to accuse someone of having no empathy.. of being insensitive..
    for asking a bike related question pertaining to current affairs.. on a cycling forum..

Could have left it a little while though, The disaster is still going on and will be fresh in peoples mind for a while.

some of you socially uptight sanctimonious malcontents really need to pull your heads out of your arses..

Some of you people, T*ssers I call them, can only think of how this may affect them, even before the Japanese have buried their dead.

The lack of Humanity never ceases to amaze me.

pastcaring
    Free Member

@stumpyjon

no selective moral high ground! i would have the same attitude if the op had posted about New Zealand, Libya, Bahrain, Tunisia, Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Syria, Australia……

but he didn’t, he posted about shimano/japan!

Jamie
    Free Member

Well, to back up my own statement, which I thought was a fairly even handed expression of how I felt, but apparently translates to me having my head shoved up my arse due to extreme malcontents, allow me to elaborate.

I am currently seeing the shitstorm that is currently playing out in Japan. I have donated money to the Red Cross as that is really all I can do. I just found it curious, and yes in slightly bad taste, that the thought of panic buying XT groupsets could be at the forefront of anyones mind currently. Evidently others feel differently.

That is all.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m going to quickly defend my statement..

I’ve spent today waiting to hear news of an old friend and his Japanese wife and children.. and of their extended family.. it’s been quite tense but we finally got word that all are safe and well earlier this evening..
    so I have a personal emotional interest in the events occurring on the other side of the planet..

If people like the OP are taking the time out of their lives to discuss the business affairs of the stricken region.. then it at least shows that scruzers thoughts are on the event.. it’s been three days… many things will have been discussed..
    some people may be donating.. or volunteering.. others may be keeping calm and carrying on.. others still may be making jokes or perusing the classifieds or bickering on forums about tyre choices and cake..

to believe that someone is callous enough to be first and foremost concerned with parts availability shows a darkness of spirit and a lack of humanity that is as I said..
    cringeworthy

billyboy
    Free Member

I thought it was a legitimate question posted in a reasonable way.

kimbers

i suppose its kind of relevant as the 3rd largest economy in the world has suffered such a devastating event, global trade will be affected, who knows what the affect on the rest of the world will be
    if all it took was some overly reckless mortgage lenders in the usa to precipitate the last global crash that has ruined lives,destroyed pensions, brought down governments, sparked revolution accross the arab world and as plenty of people have bitched about on here the price of bike poarts has gone up massively

already germany and switzerland are talking about ending their nuclear programmes and the usa, france, the uk and others are considering the impact

woffle
    Free Member

to believe that someone is callous enough to be first and foremost concerned with parts availability shows a darkness of spirit and a lack of humanity that is as I said..
    cringeworthy

Conversely, popping up on a bike forum a couple of days after a disaster that is still unfolding, and asking about parts availability, in the way the OP did, at best shows a (IMO) high level of insensitivity. It’s that which I find personally cringeworthy – I can’t get my head around where / how the thought process goes from the horrific scenes to even thinking about whether or not the Shimano factory is still knocking out groupsets and whether or not CRC are going to have plenty of stock.

I don’t know the OP, maybe there was no callousness in the intent, don’t really care. What I do care about it people being pulled up on pointing out to the OP that’s it’s probably not the best time to be asking / the best way of couching that particular thought. Sometimes things are just plain inappropriate – leaving aside any name-calling, I don’t think it’s indicative of ‘darkness of spirit’ to point this out.

pastcaring
    Free Member

@ yunki

i don’t care if you wanna call me names…

i’m glad you’ve had good news about your fiend and family!

i’m still hoping for the same…

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I thought this was a reasonable question too.

I don’t see a lot of people up in arms because the Japanese stock market has dropped 20%.

Are all those people selling shares in Japanese companies “callous” (presumably a lot of them will actually be Japanese), or are they just getting on doing their jobs,which I’m sure many people would say was the best thing they could be doing to maintain as near to ‘normal’ life as possible?

CHB

scruzers original post was measured and entirely relevant to ask on a bike forum. Not insensitive at all.

Frankers
    Free Member

Watch BBC breakfast it’s no different to what they’re discussing, also guy was on from Honda talking of having to resource parts.

I work for Hitachi and as a company we are discussing if the situation will effect the running of our business, it’s a reality!

As above too many people taking the moral highground.

This comment is 100% right in my eyes

CHB – Member

scruzers original post was measured and entirely relevant to ask on a bike forum. Not insensitive at all.
    Posted 9 minutes ago # Report-Post

scruzer
    Free Member

To make a few points: where have I suggestd I am concerned about buying XT parts or flocking to CRC? In all honesty this is not my intention or interest. As some of us are recognising a wider impact (on the Japanese accomomy) I am wondering how their industrial infrastructure will be affected; anything from importing, exporting, suppliers… (The Japanese are panick buying, BBC news now). Since I posted this, I have been in touch with my Japanese sister in law and 1 nephew and 1 neice. Neither have been offended. I have brought it to bikes because we are on a bike forum and we ride bikes. Like wise I could have asked about any aspect of Japanese manufacturing. See ‘chaingangs’ post about donating 5% of Shimano sales … They can only do this if the parts are available and now back to my query… At some point it will hit us in the sense of UK importing, sales etc and therefore the wider impact.

I have my personal thoughts and emotional responses to this disaster, and don’t feel I need to aire them on a bike forum, but would like to be able to discuss the wider economic/manufacturing affects. As its been said, Japan needs to build their econmomy to be able to grow from this event…

scruzer
    Free Member

Correction – re: the bikechain’s, not chaingangs post.

bullheart
    Free Member

You know the problem with the internet?

You just can’t tell how people would say what they post. I have no doubt that the OP had every intention of asking a rational and non-offensive question based upon his interest in the subject matter, and not to be an insensitive arse. I certainly didn’t think he came across in a bad way.

Jamie
    Free Member

There is just the one?

…but in this case I agree. Sometimes it is hard to gauge exactly where someone is coming from just by reading their words. I will be honest, the phrase panic buying in relation to buying bike parts triggered my response, but unlike others I did not call the OP names I just commented on how I interpreted the tone of it.

Anyways. We are getting into semantics now and that is not going to help anyone. So sorry if I mis-read your original intention OP, but hopefully you can see how it was quite ambiguous and open to multiple interpretations…..as the comments in this thread show.

bullheart
    Free Member

There is just the one?

Fair point 😀

hora
    Free Member

I love bike bits but I really really don’t give a **** about the price of bits from there at the moment.

This morning I saw a picture of a young Japanese woman sat weeping on the floor of ruins in this mornings Metro.

🙁

I_Ache
    Free Member

Did anybody else notice the Shimano sign in the Gizmondo Video?

hora
    Free Member

Saw an image of a family on the rooftop of a 4 story home(?) in Iwache that was completely destroyed. FOUR storeys.

LoCo
    Free Member

Radio 4 were discussing the economic implications of the disaster this morning, with an english chap from Honda, I think one of the phrases used was, ‘The area affected is not that economically (manufacturing wise) important’ which made me feel rather sick 🙁

aracer
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Japan and damage to bike trade ?’ is closed to new replies.