Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Jammed seatpost on the boys bike…Please help!!!
  • slowclimb
    Free Member

Last night my son dropped his seat post right down to go dirt jumping and now it is completely jammed, I cant move it at all 🙁
    I’ve tried everything – covering it in GT85, heating it, cooling it all this with a combination of brute force and it wont move at all. It had just been washed as it has been a lot recently as its been pretty mucky round here so the post could probably have done with some grease.
    He’s 9 and the bike is his whole life, he was even crying as he went to bed 🙁
    Its a reasonably new bike – April 14, and its been well looked after so I cant think it can have fused, especially as he moved it yesterday! Its a Merida aluminium frame with an aluminium post if that is any help
    Does anybody have any ideas of anything I could try to shift it? I am at my wits end, I couldnt even sleep trying to think of how to fix it for him as I know its the first thing he’ll ask when he gets up! Hence the reason I’m posting on here at almost 2am 🙁

TheFlyingOx

Can you try to grip the saddle in something (workshop vice) and use the bike as a massive lever to try and twist it free?

Or a scissor car jack between top tube and seat?

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Dont worry it will come out…..somehow! Usually trying to clamp the post in a vice and work the frame in a twisting pulling motion.
    It will probably scrap the seat post but its better than damaging the frame.
    If you dont have a vice try taking the saddle off get some good mole grips / stilsons on the part of the seat post that has the fixing for the seat adjuster inside it, to try to avoid it collapsing when you clam them.
    Twist and pull! tapping the frame with a soft hammer block of wood as you pull may help but go easy as the ally frame may dent and make the situation worse!

JoeG
    Free Member
    timba
    Free Member

I’m always wary of vice and twist/pull as a first resort

I think that you’re right, it’s mechanical rather than corroded. Ally to ally isn’t as reactive as steel or carbon to ally, maybe it’s the grit

Have a look at way 13 of the 14 linked to by JoeG ^^ I know it’s CF, but try that

Daffy

If he’s dropped it all the way down and then landed heavily, there’s a chance that the post has hit somthing in the seattube, possibly notching the seat post. If This is the case, directly opposed brute force may be required. Ratchet straps around the pedals and seat attached to something very sturdy on either end and pull in opposite directions.

globalti
    Free Member

Yes, twisting might exacerbate the problem if the post had jammed up against something inside the tube. Best to start by pulling it straight out.

I bet it would come out of you tied the BB to a tree and the seat to a car with climbing slings then drove away.

qwerty
    Free Member

Any bottle cage bolts it may have been rammed into? Remove any on the seat tube.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

If it’s a vaguely valuable bike it might be worth contacting The Seatpost Man!

njee20
    Free Member

Daffy +1, directly opposing force required. Even hitting the underside of the saddle with a mallet may be sufficient.

alibongo001

I can recommend not getting some large plumbers grips and hitting upwards with a hammer.

I have spent hours doing this with my aluminium road bike and seat post.

The result so far is a very poorly seat post with lots of bits flaking off – But still very much stuck!

(I could not use the move the seat method as the bottom of the clamp mechanism came loose on a ride)

cumbrianmonkey
    Free Member

+1 for http://www.theseatpostman.com/
    you’ll get your seatpost back too

deadkenny
    Free Member

Plusgas / 3-in-1 Penetrating Spray and the like will do a much better job than GT85 or WD40 if it’s stuck with crud. In my case I had an ali post stuck in carbon and it bonded. Ski/snowboard base cleaner got it out eventually. Basically citric acid solution.

Does sound like it’s notched by slamming it down though so may be just down to brute force to get it out. Mallet under the seat I can see just smashing the seat off, but worth a go I guess.

slowclimb
    Free Member

Thanks for all your suggestions chaps, I think I’ll give them all a go and if it fails send it too the seatpost man!
    A mate suggested plusgas too so I think I’ll get some of that too.

proutster
    Free Member

Plus 1 for http://www.theseatpostman.com

Just back from a quick trip up to Chorley where John (a top guy by the way) has just removed the seatpost from my turbo-trainer bike whilst I killed an hour and a half with a coffee and sandwich at Bantry Bay (there’s always a downside to any trip 😉 )

Well worth the money, a top job and it saved me from melting myself with caustic soda!

njee20
    Free Member

Dammit, I hoped this resurrection would have been a resolution!

proutster
    Free Member

Sorry, always thinking about myself 😳

kayla1
    Free Member

The Seatpost Man was very helpful when I got in touch about a steel into steel stuck seatpost, in the end I used cola to free it but he was very friendly and patient in his emails.

You could try soaking it in cola overnight, it might start to dissolve any grit that’s stuck in there. I plugged the top of the seatpost with plasticene and turned the bike upside down, then filled the seatpost/tube through the bottom bracket shell (cranks out obviously!) The caveat being I have no idea what cola does to ally.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Jammed seatpost on the boys bike…Please help!!!’ is closed to new replies.