Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Jamie Oliver's baked beans recipe, help
  • sunchaser
    Free Member

Evening all,

Can anyone help me with a recipe from Jamie Oliver's 'American Road Trip'?
    After a copy of the Baked Beans recipe…

Cheers for any help.

😀

FoxyChick
    Free Member
    tails
    Free Member
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://www.heinz.co.uk

Now, MTFU, stop "drizzling" and saying "pukka, mate" like some over-tongued mockney **** and eat some real beans!

😉

trailmonkey

+1

sunchaser
    Free Member

No luck so far… tried searching the interweb but, no joy yet.

C'mon guys.. don't make me have to buy the book for one recipe (and then return it) 😆

tails
    Free Member

Now, MTFU, stop "drizzling" and saying "pukka, mate" like some over-tongued mockney **** and eat some real beans!

From the man who eats chips with parmesan on them!! Come on flash you didn't think you'd get away with that 😉

crikey
    Free Member

Heston Blumenthal did a 'make your own Baked Beans' recipe, and guess what? He's a complete **** as well.

Baked Beans come from a tin, and taste a certain way, celebrity chefness notwithstanding.

sc-xc

Olive Oil
    4 red or white onions peeled and finely sliced
    1 heaped teaspoon smoked paprika
    2-3 dried chillis (ancho or chipotle if you can get them), stalks removed
    25g butter
    6 x 400g tins of pinto or cannellini beans
    2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
    3 or 4 dried bay leaves
    seasalt & freshly ground black pepper
    White wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons molasses
    8 Rashers of smoked straky bacon (the best quality you can afford)
    2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, leaves picked
    A large handful of freshly grated parmesan or cheddar cheese
    125g good quality stale bread

Preheat oven 180 c/350 f/gas 4, put a few lugs of olive oil into a large casserole type pan on medium heat. Add your sliced onions and smoked paprika and fry for 10-15 minutes or until softened and lightly coloured, stirring often. While that's happening put your dried chillis into a bowl and cover them with 300 mls boiling water to rehydrate and release theor flavours. Add the butter to the pan of onions and once it's melted add the beans, along with any juices from their tins. Add the tinned tomatoes, bay leaves and a good pinch of salt and pepper, then take the dried chillis out of their soaking water, slice them finely, add them to the pan with the chilli water left behind in the bowl.

Give everything a good stir and bring to a simmer, and turn the heat down to low and cook the beans slowly for 1.5 hours – you want it just blipping away so the beans don't split and go mushy. Have a taste and correct the seasoning with salt and pepper, adding a little swig of vinegar and the molasses to bring out the flavour and give it a beautiful sheen.

Wile the beans are simmering, put the bacon, rosemary leaves and grated cheese into a food prosessor. Tear in the bread and pulse until you have fine flavoured breadcrumbs. Sprinkle this mixture over the beans and put the pan into the oven for about 40 minutes to an hour, until topping is golden, crunchy and delicious. Frankly, it's a meal in itself, but it will also go really nicely next to meat or fish.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

From the man who eats chips with parmesan on them!!

+1

And at what? £6 a pop. Tory and stupid? Eh? What? Ho? Tally Ho! 😆

naokfreek
    Free Member

I bought 8 cans of baked beans for £3 today.

bigrich

oliver did a beans recipie when he opened a 15 resturant in london which he later admitted was a publicity stunt from heinz. now he's opening a 15 in new york and, well, go figure as the americans say.

AndyP
    Free Member

go figure as the americans say.

what exactly does that mean?

TooTall
    Free Member

The Americans see beans in a very different way to us. Beans are usually eaten as a side dish to a BBQ or done properly as done by Mr Oliver.

I can get chilli con carne in a tin – but I'll always make it myself.

Baked Beans come from a tin, and taste a certain way, celebrity chefness notwithstanding.

If you have been suitably conditioned, then yes – they do.

Jamie
    Free Member

AndyP – Member
    go figure as the americans say.

what exactly does that mean?

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Long shot, but a shortened version of 'go figure it out'. I think the closest we would have is when we would say 'would you believe it!'. Essentially an expression of false surprise.

Nico
    Free Member

"go AND work it out for yourself". Anhoo, to bake potatoes you put them in the oven (dry) and wait for an hour and a quarter. So presumably you do the same with beans. And shouldn't it be "oven baked". Like "pan fried". And when will somebody point out that a thin stream of liquid is "dribbled". Drizzle is a fine spray. I know, I know. Language is a living <yadda, yadda> …

sunchaser
    Free Member

Big Thanks to Barry Bethel 🙂

CheesybeanZ

just bought some Sainsbury sausages , there`s a picture of Jamie Oliver on the front holding a fork. on the back it says prick with fork
    cant argue with that !!

igmc

konabunny
    Free Member

don't make me have to buy the book for one recipe (and then return it)

Hmm, if only there were some kind of state-funded service where you could find copies of popular books, take them for a while and then return them for no charge. Oh wait! There is! 🙂

Seriously, have you been to a local library recently? They're really good nowadays.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Jamie Oliver's baked beans recipe, help’ is closed to new replies.