Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • James May on bicycles
  • uselesshippy
    Free Member

Cheers for that. Nice to see a motoring journalist sticking up for bikes.
    I deliberately avoided the comments though. 😀

CountZero

Nice article, typical May. Always comes across as a really nice bloke it would be great to chat to over a couple of pints. And I’ve noticed how many cyclists ignore you when you say hello, too. And not always roadies, either…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    butcher

That’s a surprisingly refreshing article in amidst all the fighting of late. Even the comments are positive (if you ignore the first one about bikes being for poor people).

nealglover
    Free Member

Is it only people who don’t like Bikes that get lectured and talked down to for using the term “Road Tax” then ? 😉

aP
    Free Member

Ah. He lives next door to one of the guys in my office.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

He’s spot on, when I’m out on the bike I say hello to pretty much everyone, people on foot pretty much always do back but I don’t know what it is with cyclists, and the ones with all the gear do seem to be particularly ignorant. May does does seem a decent guy unlike the other two tools.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Teenage Mutant Ninja Bellend

Awesome!

davidjones15
    Free Member

Nice article, not sure what the beef is with cyclists not responding. Some do, some don’t. Some people hold doors open, some don’t. Some people say thank you, some don’t.
    Intereting pov on the pro RLJing and pavement riding though.

parkesie
    Free Member

Teenage Mutant Ninja Bellend.

stavromuller
    Free Member

I’m with schrickvr6, I always say hello and smile and the lycra boys are the worst offenders for being a bit mardi. Trouble is I like the other two silly sods as well.

br
    Free Member

But he’s a Biker anyway, so understands 2-wheels.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It was more balanced than usual guff but still full of the same stereotypes re lycra clad warriors

As you are all fat MTB ers who think you are jolly and sociable because you stop – in reality you are to unfit to continue without a pasty or jelly based sweet- it appealed to you 😉

Kevevs
    Free Member

May’s a good egg. He’s the square peg in a round hole and I kind of love that. I reckon a few beers would be a good laugh and a very interesting and rewarding chat with him. The other two would just annoy me and I’d be making my excuses.. anyway what’s wrong with a pasty and a jelly based sweet!

GrahamS

Good article. Not sure I recognise his issue though.
    I get pleasant “Good mornings” or nods from all users of the path, including cyclists (Lycra or nay).

I’d suggest either:
    a) he doesn’t recognise the “cyclist nod”
    b) said cyclists are too busy thinking “Bluddy hell isn’t that him off of Top Gear” to respond
    c) he lives in London

aP
    Free Member

Knowing where he’s talking about riding he’d be better off avoiding rowers and people spilling out of riverside pubs.

Harry_the_Spider

c) he lives in London

Here in Manchester we hug each other like Frenchmen.

Cougar

… then check you’ve still got your wallet?

chojin
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    c) he lives in London
    Here in Manchester we hug each other like Frenchmen.

I hope you check your wallet after such a hug.

IanW
    Free Member

Not sure I agree about the pavement cycling bit, otherwise he makes some good points especially the ninja space warrior bellend look. Does more harm than RLJing IMO.

MSP

WTF is with this arrogant selfish need for acknowledgement from complete strangers as they go about their own business, get over yourselves for christs sake.

davidjones15
    Free Member

WTF is with this arrogant selfish need for acknowledgement from complete strangers as they go about their own business, get over yourselves for christs sake.

I couldn’t agree more.

nealglover
    Free Member

I couldn’t agree more.

Now that’s comedy gold right here.

(Unintentional possibly 😉 )

peterfile
    Free Member

I couldn’t agree more.

Now that’s comedy gold right here.

+1 😉

The irony is just too much to bear!!!! 😆

GrahamS

LOL.

It’s called basic manners, politeness and civility.
    Sadly undervalued these days.

Do you genuinely think the correct behaviour when approaching someone on a path is to stare fixedly ahead and pretend they don’t exist? (Outside of London obviously 😉 )

mt
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with a hello back to someone who just acknowledged your existence and shows your banal boring life is not so bad. Being friendly and showing a little good manners is the way to show who the good are from the up their own arse ignoramaces.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Nice ironing!

dogbert
    Free Member

I can feel a t-shirt coming on

davidjones15
    Free Member

(Unintentional possibly )

From one so great, I will take this as praise.

nealglover
    Free Member

From one so great…

Did someone make you sulky.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member
    It was more balanced than usual guff but still full of the same stereotypes re lycra clad warriors

As you are all fat MTB ers who think you are jolly and sociable because you stop – in reality you are to unfit to continue without a pasty or jelly based sweet- it appealed to you

POSTED 17 HOURS AGO #

Mr Junkyard i represent your remarks

jota180
    Free Member

I have absolutely no issue with people that don’t want to to speak to others as they they pass by but it takes a special kind of miserable to be able to ignore it when the other party initiates it.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘James May on bicycles’ is closed to new replies.