Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • James Macaroon in the Mariana Trench
  • joao3v16
    Free Member

Film-maker describes the Mariana trench as ‘very lunar’

Great.

He went somewhere that virtually nobody’s experienced first hand, and to describe it compares it with somewhere else pretty much nobody’s experienced first hand.

So I now know that somewhere I’ve never been (and never will) is a bit like somewhere else I’ve never been (and never will).

(Very lunar? Except for all the water, and pressure, and gravity, and permanent darkness, and life, I assume?)

Really helpful. Thanks for that.

Mark

I understood what he meant. Am I alone in that?

wwaswas

Am I alone in that?

No.

AndyP
    Free Member

He’s been there, you haven’t. How can you question it? For all we know there may be no water or pressure or gravity or darkness or life down there. It may be *proper* lunar, complete with aliens and that.

teasel
    Free Member

It may be *proper* lunar, complete with aliens and that.

🙂

Excellent!

If I’m to base my perceptions of what I’ve been led to believe the moon looks like then yes, I know what he’s referring to, too…

joao3v16
    Free Member

Is the Mariana trench covered in a layer of dust and asteroid craters?

Is it 100,000 miles from earth travelling through a vacuum?

Is there a US flag & a little car that was left down there in 1969?

I’m just trying to compare it with what I know about a ‘lunar’ envt (i.e. the moon) to see if his comment makes any real sense whatsoever.

Harry_the_Spider

So the sea bed is made of cheese?

jam-bo

I’m just trying to compare it with what I know about a ‘lunar’ envt (i.e. the moon) to see if his comment makes any real sense whatsoever.

there is **** all there…

joao3v16
    Free Member

there is **** all there…

There’s **** all in one of my kitchen cupboards, but by any stretch of the imagination I’d never describe it as ‘lunar’

JC’s description might hold a bit of weight if he’d been to an actual lunar place, but he hasn’t, so even his own description is based on his own perception formed from a few photo’s and some guys talking about it from 40 odd years ago.

atlaz
    Free Member

I guess he was referring to the clangers and soup dragon. Obviously the Americans failed to find them in the 60s so they must have moved house to the bottom of the sea. Displacing that octopus and his shitty garden.

boxfish
    Free Member

OP. You seem a tad overwrought.

AndyP
    Free Member

so even his own description is based on his own perception formed from a few photo’s and some guys talking about it from 40 odd years ago.

Oh, the irony.

he’s been to *one* of the two places. You’ve (presumably) been to *neither*. So he, by definition, has infinitely more knowledge of the subject than yow. 😉

joao3v16
    Free Member

Exactly.

I once asked someone what snake meat tastes like.

They said “a bit like alligator, you ever had alligator?”

I haven’t.

So if I ask James Cameron “what’s the Mariana trench like?”

He’ll say “a bit like the Moon, you ever been to the moon?”

I haven’t.

🙄

Dead helpful, both of them.

Drac

Lunar generally means barren dusty rocky landscape. I’m not sure how you’ve missed that.

jon1973
    Free Member

Percy: You know, they do say that the Infanta’s eyes are more beautiful than the famous Stone of Galveston.
    Edmund: Mm! … What?
    Percy: The famous Stone of Galveston, My Lord.
    Edmund: And what’s that, exactly?
    Percy: Well, it’s a famous blue stone, and it comes … from Galveston.
    Edmund: I see. And what about it?
    Percy: Well, My Lord, the Infanta’s eyes are bluer than it, for a start.
    Edmund: I see. And have you ever seen this stone?
    Percy: (nods) No, not as such, My Lord, but I know a couple of people who have, and they say it’s very very blue indeed.
    Edmund: And have these people seen the Infanta’s eyes?
    Percy: No, I shouldn’t think so, My Lord.
    Edmund: And neither have you, presumably.
    Percy: No, My Lord.
    Edmund: So, what you’re telling me, Percy, is that something you have never seen is slightly less blue than something else you have never seen.
    Percy: (finally begins to grasp) Yes, My Lord.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

the moon, for those that don’t seem to know anything about it, never having seen it on telly or seen a picture of it

the mariana trench, as it looks just now

joao3v16
    Free Member

Ah,yes. Dust. At the bottom of the ocean. Well known for being dry and dusty.

Apparently there’s also a heck of a lot of microorganism/microbe type life at the bottom of the Mariana trench. Which is not like the moon where no living anything has been found.

Maybe I’m just being awkward, but saying something soaking wet and full of life is like somewhere bone dry and (as far as we know) sterile is bonkers.

Parts of the Peak District are rocky and dusty. Is the Mariana trench anything like the Peak District? I can relate to that better than the moon.

teasel
    Free Member

In light of recent forum topics I think you could’ve been more imaginative with the thread title. Something along the lines of James Cameron smoking Rocks? or some such outraged questioning…

yossarian
    Free Member

none of you have ever been to the isle of sheppey I take it?

wwaswas

the dark side of the moon as it looks just now;

see, it’s like the same.

jon1973
    Free Member

none of you have ever been to the isle of sheppey I take it?

No, is it very Lunar-like or very Mariana Trench-like?

Drac

No, is it very Lunar-like or very Mariana Trench-like?

I think it’s rather Blue.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

#firstworldproblems
    It’s really distressing when people describe a place you’ve never been and are never going to in terms that are relative to another place you’ve never been or are never going to. It can keep you night worrying about it that sort of thing can. Don’t they realise how little imagination some people have, and how little brain resources they can afford to dedicate to resolving the seemingly irresolvable.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member

the dark side of the moon as it looks just now;
    with added infra-red technology

jon1973
    Free Member

Drac

Here’s James Cameron’s artist impression of his planned lunar visit.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f20BLJGHNXY[/video]

wwaswas

It’s no picnic on the Moon, you know.

oh.

Macgyver

Anyone else see him in his beeny hat and think of The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou?

almightydutch
    Free Member

No sign of the Turnip Fish down there then?

Bloody S.O.P lied to me!!!!

hels
    Free Member

Maybe it was his time of the month ?

mikey74
    Free Member

I’d have refused to let him up again until he promised to stop making sh*te films.

Seriously though, it would have been a useful exercise if someone with scientific knowledge had made the dive, instead some rich playboy chose to fulfil his boyhood dream. Great!!

If it paves the way for proper scientists to make the dive then great. Otherwise, it was no better than Richard Branson ballooning (baffooning?) around the world.

Drac

Seriously though, it would have been a useful exercise if someone with scientific knowledge had made the dive, instead some rich playboy chose to fulfil his boyhood dream. Great!!

If you find yourself in the financial to achieve the seemingly impossible boyhood dream would you say “Nah! It’s all right you go mate your a scientist” or would your finish that dream.

He also despite some rubbish films does have some serious talent for directing so I’m looking forward to his documentary. He even designed cameras to achieve the shots he wanted.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve got nothing against him doing it, I’m just questioning the scientific merit of the exercise.

He does indeed have a talent for directing, which makes his more recent drivel even more galling.

zippykona

If you look at the shadow on the sea bed you can see it goes the wrong way. There are also footprints on the edge of one of the pictures and the flag is fluttering. He never even went.
    The conspiracy starts here!

molgrips
    Free Member

Why did you even start this thread? Coming over as very bitter.

AndyP
    Free Member

Why did you even start this thread? Coming over as very bitter.

joao3v16 wanted to be an Octonaut, but failed the selection.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Just wait until Richard Branson comes back from space and describes it like being in a submarine- joao2v16’s head will explode.

wwaswas

At least he didn’t say it was like ‘Das Boot’

joao3v16
    Free Member

Why did you even start this thread? Coming over as very bitter

Partly to amuse myself, and I thought it was amusing/strange/pointless to use the trench/lunar comparison.

Bitter? About …?

Just wait until Richard Branson comes back from space and describes it like being in a submarine- joao2v16’s head will explode.

Yes, if he comes back and says it was ‘very aquatic’ … at least him and James Macaroon will be able to have a meaningful conversation

“so James, what was the Mariana Trench like”
    “it was very lunar”
    “luna you say? I’ve been there, I can totally relate to that”
    “yeh, but the general public can’t Rich … ”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘James Macaroon in the Mariana Trench’ is closed to new replies.