Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • James And Oz Drink Britain
  • jimster
    Free Member

Now t’other week I was watching the episode from Oireland where they couldn’t name “a certain dark stout with a rich creamy head” because of BBC advertising rules etc etc.

Now last night after in Cornwall they had a couple of pints, one from the north coast, one the south in St Austell Tribute glasses – could this be the same as naming “a certain dark stout with a rich creamy head” or is this just product placement – again that the BBC aren’t really meant to do.

AndyP
    Free Member

How odd. They certainly mentioned Glenmorangie in the Scotch episode

mudshark
    Free Member

I think it was mentioning only one product of a particular type that was the issue – when in Ireland hard to stop talking about Guinness as it’s so dominant. Elsewhere they talked about a variety of drinks.

chakaping
    Free Member

Overjealous interpretation of beeb rules in Guinness case I’d imagine.

Only seen a couple of episodes, but they’ve mentioned (and recommended) several otehr drinks by name.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

What the smeg was the deal of drinking that Cornish wine in the caravan? Like a bad chuckle brothers sketch, only I still know nothing about UK produced wine, whether it is any good or what any of it has to do with Camels.

Bleeding idiots the pair of them.

Harry_the_Spider

The caravan scene was pi55 funny.

The cider men made me laugh too. “We’ve got three types of cider. Sleeping cider, fighting cider and errr… sleeping cider.”

Oz made a bit of a tit of himself with the morris dancing tantrum though.

matthewjb
    Free Member

It’s mildy entertaing. But you’d struggle to learn anything about drink from it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think it’s one of the best programmes I’ve seen for years. No script, no plan, no bull**** just an excuse to drive round in a Roller, have a laff and get drunk.
    How bad can that be?

And the way they argue and bicker cracks me up.
    I’ve been glued to it.
    😀

corroded
    Free Member

Much as I like the idea, the execution is woeful with the overly-scripted banter cut into by the voiceover. A shame really.
    Masterchef on the other hand is quite brilliant … ‘I’d gladly rub my face in it’ is the house catchphrase now.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

PeterPoddy
    I think it’s one of the best programmes I’ve seen for years. No script, no plan, no bull**** just an excuse to drive round in a Roller, have a laff and get drunk.
    How bad can that be?

Would you be suprised to learn that it is planned, scripted and full of shite? As above, it’s painfully contrived and very laboured in places.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

it’s painfully contrived and very laboured in places.

Ah yes, that sums it up beautifully. Though I’d replace ‘in places’ with ‘throughout’. Which is a shame becuase I quite like May in other things.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Would you be suprised to learn that it is planned, scripted and full of shite?

Nothing I see on STW surprises me. People can’t bear it if you happen to like something they don’t.

I still love it, don’t give two hoots about that….

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

PeterPoddy –

Nothing I see on STW surprises me. People can’t bear it if you happen to like something they don’t.

I still love it, don’t give two hoots about that….

I dont care whether you like it or not, I was commenting on your bold assertion that the programme was unscripted and unplanned and free from bullshit. Whether its shite or not is debatable, whether it’s scripted and unplanned absolutely is not. There is probably an amount of ad-libbing and improvisation which makes the final cut, but that’s it.

dave_aber
    Free Member

TBH I’ve been enjoying it, but I wish they’d just not bothered going north of the border.

To investigate Whisky by simply going to a single distillery, and a far flung remote and almost unique one at that, and not even mention Speyside did seem like they were missing the point really. At least in Ireland they did mention Guinness a few times.

And as for

“nobody likes neeps and tatties anyway”

and having peas and carrots with Haggis – get a grip FFS. If Oz Clarke doesn’t like neeps & tatties then fair enough, don’t eat them, but to declare that his taste reflects that of the whole country? Fathead!. I didn’t hear them saying

“nobody really likes yorkshire puddings, so we’ll have roast beef and pancakes instead”

. Grrrr..

chakaping
    Free Member

Of course it’s scripted, so is Top Gear.

I still like it too.

biggulp
    Free Member

Preview of next week’s episode shows the caravan parked pretty close to some big cliffs. I wonder what will happen next?

anagallis_arvensis

the first series in france was good been a bit downhill from there

TheSanityAssassin

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    the first series in france was good been a bit downhill from there

Les Gets?

Muke
    Free Member

Forget the rest of the show,Groovin with mr bloe is a great bit of music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaQWOne1sfo

Air Harmonica anyone ?

chakaping
    Free Member

Forget the rest of the show,Groovin with mr bloe is a great bit of music.

Yesiree.

Danny Baker often uses it on his BBC London radio show too, a stone cold session-funk classic.

goon
    Free Member

almost unique

AAarrggghhhh! (Sorry.)

Muke
    Free Member

Anyone tell me what was the name of the Gin distilery they went to with a visitors centre where you could blend your own Gin or was I imaging that ?

salad_dodger
    Muke
    Free Member

Thats the one,Thank you.
    No mention of blending your own Gin though maybe I misheard that bit.

andywhit
    Free Member

Well they let James blend his own gin, not sure if that’s a service on offer to the great unwashed though (would be surprised if so).

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘James And Oz Drink Britain’ is closed to new replies.