Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Jamaica Inn mumbling
  • Harry_the_Spider

Endured episode 1 on Monday. Now I have the joy of sitting with the missus for 2 & 3 tonight.

Did the sound improve, or should I just make my excuse now and watch a DVD on the laptop whilst she shouts at the TV?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Lived in Cornwall for 3 years, the recording’s perfect, they really do all sound like that.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Better in 2. In fact the whole episode was better. I thought E1 was only ok, then was so bored watching Chelski that switched over to watch E2. Much better on all counts IMO.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Gave up after 20 minutes of episode 1. My thought process went something like this.
    He looks like he’s gonna be a pivotal character.
    I can only make out about 40% of his dialogue.
    No point watching this.

I was quite pleased that other people couldn’t understand it, thought it was just me getting old.

wingnuts

Apparently they did something with the sound after complaints in episode 1. Like the way they haven’t spared the grime. Getting better IMO so will hang on.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Old Lady Sybil gets herself in some funny situations…..

johnners
    Free Member

I could understand it just fine, but I live in the SW. I was impressed how far they managed to go for a bit of smuggling in an evening though, Jamaica Inn was hardly handy for the coast in 1821.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Kernow King not impressed by sound quality or accents.

And he would know, some bleddy fine Roche boy innum.

JulianA
    Free Member

Well that’s three hours of my life that I would like back. Unintelligible for the most part, characters I didn’t really care about – not a great show.

I guessed it was the vicar in Episode 1. I thought the idea had been stolen from Dr Syn, but that was a bit after Jamaica Inn, though, so I don’t think D du M stole the idea from Russell Thorndike, as I suspected at first.

It’s a shame that this was a bit shite, as I was expecting something of the same quality as Rebecca – a great story, and the Olivier film was brilliant. No special effects to speak of, wobbly sets and black and white, but great acting and a great story.

Bring back Andrew Davies and get him to adapt it!

tthew

I quite liked it, but we turned the subtitles on for a bit of help tonight. Best bit was when Mrs Tthew said, (while Mrs Jos was being dead in her yellow frock) ‘Is she showing nipple?’

If anyone can confirm would be appreciated, I didn’t want to rewind it and risk losing the hard of understanding assistance.

zippykona

Mrs Zip watched the first. What a complete misery fest.
    Luckily we have guests tonight and the telly isn’t on.

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

Nice to see Kirkby Lonsdale getting a good bit of air time as the Market Square.

batfink
    Free Member

Meh

We watched it with the subtitles on – it was really only the uncle that you couldn’t understand, everyone else just seemed to have a volume problem, but i think that got fixed on the iPlayer.

Re: mumbling. I think they we going for this:

But ended up with this:

I haven’t read the book, but it was pretty obvious that the vicar dunnit as soon as he appeared on screen – there was no mystery at all, who else could it have possibly been? None of the other characters were even remotely well developed.

I suspect that the BBC are dumming-down stuff like this now for the hard-of-thinking who are are content to be impressed with the costumes and misty-location shots. Fair enough I suppose, maybe that’s their key demographic?

Harry_the_Spider

Well, that’s three hours that I won’t get back.

Whoever instructed Sean Harris to mumble his way through the script owes the BBC a couple of million quid or whatever that cost to make.

Also, how come we could see the ship from a mile or so away yet it could not see the cliff that it ran in to?

Tthew :Re the phantom nipple. A quick go on the IPlayer (32m 49s) would suggest that your missus has a filthy mind.

oldgit
    Free Member

I liked it and fully understood every word. Must be my Cornish roots.

Also, how come we could see the ship from a mile or so away yet it could not see the cliff that it ran in to?

Better telly than this…

Harry_the_Spider

I beg to differ.

oldgit
    Free Member

🙂

nickc

I suspect that the BBC are dumming-down stuff like this now for the hard-of-thinking

It’s based on a novel by Daphne Du Maurier. It was 30’s chick lit, not Shakespeare.

batfink
    Free Member

Last BBC drama I enjoyed was “the fall” with Gillian Anderson TBH – I’ve been subsisting on US imports since then

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Last BBC drama I enjoyed was “the fall” with Gillian Anderson TBH

“37 days” is still on bbc webnetplayercatchupthingy, I think. That was pretty good.

wwaswas

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Jamaica Inn mumbling’ is closed to new replies.