Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Jake bugg?
  • iridebikes
    Free Member

Does anyone else think he is a talentless twerp?

Mr_C
    Free Member

A talentless twerp who had his second album produced by RIck Rubin, and what would he know about music?

Remind me, who produced your second album?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Slightly less irritating than mumford and sons.. a bit of an annoying twang to nearly all his songs.

Merak

I like the recent stuff.

nonk
    Free Member

Everything is shit didn’t you know ? Your are an stw god so everything is gonna struggle to live up to the expectations of one so awesum no ?

wolly
    Free Member

Modern day George Formby

mikey3
    Free Member

I liked his first album,but hey that’s music,some people like things other people don’t,wouldnt feel the need to call him talentless if I didn’t though,theres clearly some talent there,imo of course:)

deft
    Free Member

A talentless twerp who had his second album produced by RIck Rubin

He did have it written for him as well though.

breadcrumb

I like his first album, although I didn’t rate him much at all when I first heard him. His latest stuff sound a bit like early Arctic Monkeys to me, which is no bad thing.

spidersexual
    Free Member

This being said by someone who can only think of iridebikes as a bicycle forum name (rolls eyes)

Mr_C
    Free Member

He”s got a writing credit on every track and on three he’s the sole credited writer – in what way was it written for him.

deft
    Free Member

Bugg seems to think he was catapulted to platinum-selling fame because he represented a “genuine” and “natural” alternative to “X Factor shit”. It’s an idea that’s easy to mock, not least because much of his debut album was co-written with a succession of songwriters-for-hire, including Matt Prime, also responsible for a string of hits by Victoria Beckham, Kylie Minogue and TV talent show winners Olly Murs, Liberty X and Will Young

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/nov/14/jake-bugg-shangri-la-review

CountZero

iridebikes – Member

Next time I want an opinion on an album I want to buy, I’ll be sure to ask for yours.
    ‘Course, as someone who’s been buying music probably since before you were born, and been going to gigs for forty-three years, I’ll ignore it.

spud-face

A talentless twerp who had his second album produced by RIck Rubin, and what would he know about music?

Isn’t it Rubin who attaches his name to albums where he was present at some point – i.e. i recall he (or whoever i’m thinking of) was recentlyish credited with producing an album having laid on a settee in the booth during the first playback, given his opinion, and left.

Anyhow, a producer having worked on an album is no inherent signifier of talent- they don’t just do it for love of music. See Albini for details.

(i’m indifferent to the Bugg lad – all power to his arm for at least differing from the norm, if doing nothing new. Although he’s on my absolute limit for nasally.)

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

Yes, thought I was the only one. He’s a Bob Dylan rip off.

scuttler

Nah. He’s got loads of talent. As did Formby. Johnny Cash wasn’t so bad either and he didn’t always write his own stuff (also Rubin and others) most notably Hurt.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Miserable fecker for a young lad with a bright career ahead.

P20

Like his first album and warming to the second.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Not remotely interested in his music, but the guy can play.

[video]http://youtu.be/JVDFxP4XoMQ?t=9m24s[/video]

CountZero

I’m inclined to say so ****’ what? It’s probably slipped your notice, but Frank Sinatra didn’t write his own songs, nor did Shirley Bassey, Dionne Warwick, Dusty Springfield, or many, many others during the 60’s.
    So perhaps they’re all talentless twerps, too.
    So what if Jake’s not that original? Neither’s Seasick Steve, you going to call him a talentless twerp as well?
    Jake’s a pretty damn good guitarist for a lad of his age, he sounds like himself, not like all the other Autotuned clones that fill the charts.
    Don’t like him? Fine, there’s no law says you should; I loath the Manics, for a great many reasons, but they’re not talentless, and lots do like them. Good for them.

andeh

Not talentless, but he is very annoying.

….classic STW thread BTW, congratulations guys.

Edric64
    Free Member

Never heard of him I thought of J D Bug who make kids scooters !

Nick

Not my bag but he seems to be enjoying himself without hurting anyone in the process.

montylikesbeer

Watched him in Preston just as lighting bolt made the charts, cleaver and talented lad.

Young and with a talent………………..I’ll get my coat

mactheknife

wordnumb – that video is ace, that flamenco style was amazing. Talentless he definitely is not.

roger_mellie

Not my cup of tea either; mildly irritating that he thinks he’s ‘seen it all’ already, but I wouldn’t describe him as talentless. Is the OP coming back?

tacopowell
    Free Member

Twerp who makes out he was dragged up in moss side, When in reality he was brought up in Clifton, Which is just a standard dive.

Voice is irritating but the last album was alright, Bob Dylan wannabe.

tacopowell
    Free Member

I used to work with his drummer, Nice chap.

brokensoul
    Free Member

I’d not heard of him. So, I watched the video that wordnumb posted above.
    I’d say he’s a long way from talentless.
    Sick!! Sounds about right.

rewski
    Free Member

Lighting bolt was a big tune for him, he’s been hyped but definitely not talentless.

niksnr
    Free Member

Quite like it but just heard him do a Lennon cover. Working Class Hero. Some things should be left alone!!

DezB
    Free Member

Not particularly interested in what I’ve heard, but didn’t sound talentless.
    There are probably better ways to say you don’t like someone’s music. Or even just ignore it, that’s what I do.
    [edit] unless they really are talentless twerps, like Robbie Williams or something. Artless prick just doing it all for money. But yeah, he sells loads so must actually be great! I’d actually like to mortally wound him though.

Merak

I wish I had half his talent.

kayak23

Thanks for the video Wordnumb. Brilliant. Like him more now. Very talented.

legend
    Free Member

mildly irritating that he thinks he’s ‘seen it all’ already

I think you might be taking some of his lyrics a bit too literally

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I haven’t been sufficiently motivated to buy his music, but he shouldn’t be dismissed as talentless.

wallop

He is a terrible, ungrateful radio guest.

roger_mellie

I don’t think he was trying for a metaphor when he sang:

“I’ve seen it all
    I’ve seen it all now
    I’ve seen it all
    I’ve seen it all now I swear to god”

I take that as someone telling me that, umm, they’ve seen it all.

Sandwich

Not my cup of tea either; mildly irritating that he thinks he’s ‘seen it all’ already, but I wouldn’t describe him as talentless. Is the OP coming back?

Given he’s nobbut a youth and most of his own writing will have been as a teenager it’s pretty common outlook on life for the age group.

At about the age he is now that should be toning down a bit.

kayak23

roger_mellie – Member
    I don’t think he was trying for a metaphor when he sang:

“I’ve seen it all
    I’ve seen it all now
    I’ve seen it all
    I’ve seen it all now I swear to god”

I take that as someone telling me that, umm, they’ve seen it all.

No, you’re definitely taking it literally.
    When someone says that it’s usually meaning they’ve seen something unusual.

I just saw a giant chicken riding a unicycle down the high street. I’ve seen it all now……..

Etc….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Jake bugg?’ is closed to new replies.