Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Jailbreaking iPhones
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

is it worth doing? what does it give you that the lock down doesn't?

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

There is a rumour that Apple go into sense of humour failure if you do so…

MrNutt
    Free Member

hmmm let me check…

nope I'm not worried about Apples sense of humor tbh 🙂

monkeychild
    Free Member

You can get all the paid apps for free using installious 😀

MrNutt
    Free Member

mmm but doesn't that shaft the developers?

Haze

I jailbroke (?) my Touch a while back, easy enough to do but a bit of a waste of time really.

After the initial novelty I found none of the apps were up to much, so I never bothered again when I got a replacement (unrelated problem).

It was just over 12 months ago so I guess things could have improved since.

It's perfectly legal as far as I know, but Apple may well deny service (should you need it) because "unauthorized modification of the iOS is a violation of the iPhone end-user license agreement"

Although you may be able to flash it back if you need to take it in for service.

scraprider
    Free Member

jail broke my last one , 3G was the best thing i done to it, cant wait for it to come out for iphone 4. (GIVE-A-****-O-METER HITTING 6.5) FOR ME :mrgreen:

MrNutt
    Free Member

erm, its out now for the 4

CountZero

It's a web based jailbreak that's easily reversed, but you must sync and back up on iTunes before you do anything, then you can just do a restore from backup if there are any issues. Apple don't have a sense of humour failure, they just won't allow a warranty claim if you brick your phone after jailbreaking it. And why should they? It's no different to you buying a car, getting a mate to screw around with the ECU and remap it, then blowing up the engine and expecting a warranty repair. I can't honestly see the point. I just can't imagine a single app that I'd want that I can't get or haven't got already for free or an insignificant price. All the ebook readers are free, for example, and I'm damned sure there won't be anything for free that matches Viewranger for OS mapping.

MrNutt
    Free Member

CZ thats exactly how I feel, I doubt any of the programmes/warez use the iOS4 multitasking unless its to make background calls to nigeria?

spacemonkey

I tweeted about this earlier:

JailbreakMe: #iPhone 4 #jailbreaking made easy by iPhone Dev Team: bit.ly linky – remember to backup first though …

spacemonkey

CountZero – on the subject of Viewranger, I've just looked it up in the app store. It looks the pigs figs – is it really that good as a GPS mapper for running/MTBing?

convert

About 50% of cydia apps are multitasking now.

I'm quite new to all this but picked up quite a bit in the last 48hrs. I renovated a 3g over the weekend. A jailbreak is required to unlock your iphone yourself which is obviously useful if you want to use a local sim overseas or just transfer network here. It is also a way of getting multitasking working on a 3G.

I've not fiddled around much further with it yet, and expect I never will. However using a cydia app called btstack gps I was able to unlock the bluetooth so you can use an external GPS on bluetooth. This now means that I rode for hours today with the iphone tracking me on memory map whilst hardly touching the battery- the same ride on a 3g using the internal gps would have killed the battery off.

The only other useful stuff I have got working using a jailbreak so far is turning the screen off for power saving without putting the device to sleep which has some benefits in some situations and also adding a %age of charge to the battery indicator top right on the screen, although I'm sure there is another way of doing this.

Jamie
    Free Member

I just can't imagine a single app that I'd want that I can't get or haven't got already for free or an insignificant price.

Sbsettings
    LockInfo
    Firewall IP
    Bitesms
    iFile

etc etc.

mmm but doesn't that shaft the developers?

It sure does. Pisses me off that people can rock a £300+ device and yet try and avoid paying from 59p upwards for an app. Even some of the more expensive apps go in the sale now and again. I got Navigon for £20 2 weeks ago….bargain!

….for the non-power/nerd user there probably is no real benefit.

MrNutt
    Free Member

now if flash was to work…. 😛

Jamie
    Free Member

now if flash was to work…

Be gone with you!

MrNutt
    Free Member

hah heh hah

monkeychild
    Free Member

I had flash on my jailbroken 3g. To be honest on my 3gs i dont miss it at all.

MrNutt
    Free Member

well, in the interests of science…

MrNutt
    Free Member

…I can confirm its not worth the bother! now the ballache of restoring everything!

the best thing about the iPhone is that it WORKS, Clymidia or what ever its called just doesn't properly, if you want a phone that is buggy and a long winded chore to do anything with may I recommend something like a nokia n97, hell I've got one sat here doin nothing very well should I ever desire to be sat there staring at a phone that involves some kind of double jointed reach around just to make it do a simple task!

pfft!

Jamie
    Free Member

You're an amateur Mr Nutt. JB'ed iPhone working flawlessly here 😉

MrNutt
    Free Member

oh it worked, its just the interface is not very refined, scrolling for example, instead of scrolling up and down it'd select an item and wtf its riddled with ads!

Jamie
    Free Member

Which interface? Parts of Cydia, mainly the BigBoss repos, have adverts in them in the same way a lot of free apps do. You will probably see them once in a blue moon once you have everything set up. JB'ing is not for everyone tho. Saying that, a lot of JB apps etc had to be re-written for ios4. So maybe revisit in a week or so, or even less, when most of the rough edges have been taking care of.

Milkie
    Free Member

Toying with the idea of giving it a try…

If I don't like it, can I restore it back to the Apple iOS?

MrNutt
    Free Member

yes you can, just make sure you turn off little snitch when trying to restore to avoid the nervous breakdown phase of the process.

its worth remembering: Homebrew has no killer app. for all its appleness the app store is the best available.

flamejob
    Free Member

Anyone know how to Unlock a 3GS with 05.13.04 firmware? I'm not bothered about JailBreak (been there etc)

Mine is on Telefonica and I need to use it in the UK.

The mega irritating thing is my UK contract is with O2 who are owned by Telefonica!

Will pay with cake/gimp services/local knowledge if anyone can get the bloody thing unlocked.

Ewan
    Free Member

If you're on a contract O2 will unlock for free – just did my 3G. Took about a day to come through, and thne next time i connected it to itunes it was unlocked.

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

convert

FJ – it's either Jailbreak or bended knee to your provider. Are you still within your contract period? If so, JB might be the only way. Very easy though.

Milkie
    Free Member

Just Jailbroken my phone… Are there any "must have" apps!?

Jamie
    Free Member

Anyone know how to Unlock a 3GS with 05.13.04 firmware? I'm not bothered about JailBreak (been there etc)

Unless you are going the official o2 route, you have to JB to unlock. Incidentally a new unlock for ios4 was released a short while ago. So you should be good to go.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Homebrew has no killer app

Does the appstore though? For me, it has several really good apps which Cydia does also. One being infinifolders that came out this morning. $1.99 to be able to have more than 12 apps in a folder seems worth it to me.

Just Jailbroken my phone… Are there any "must have" apps!?

Have a lookie here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=983730

Personally I really missed sbsettings while I was waiting for the JB.

Milkie
    Free Member

Is there an app or a way of being able to drag n drop music and files over the iphone as its now jailbroken?

flamejob
    Free Member

FJ – it's either Jailbreak or bended knee to your provider. Are you still within your contract period? If so, JB might be the only way. Very easy though.

I don't mind jailbreaking it… but the devteam's site says…

If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0 PwnageTool 4.01

Doesn't that mean mine is un-unlockable?

…sulks

convert
    Jamie
    Free Member

@flamejob

The new JB works on all devices and is done via the jailbreakme website. So you are still good to go.

Milkie
    Free Member

I am totally not impressed with the Jailbreak. Still can't seem to drag music across to the phone, apps don't seem any better than Apple's.

Thought I would try TomTom app through installous which didn't work! I wanted to compare it to my real TomTom guess I wont be!

There seems to be even more crap than in the Apple App Store, so trying to find a decent theme or app seems near impossible.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Milkie +1

Jamie
    Free Member

The thing with Cydia and the whole JB process is that initially it is not as accessible as the App store. As anyone knows Apple does pick up and go better than anyone. A little bit of perseverance should see it being worth it and I must admit it is quite amusing seeing people JB then five mins later say its not any good 😉

…but then it is not for everyone.

@flamejob

If you want to unlock your phone do the following:

Visit http://jailbreakme.com via your iPhone and follow the simple instructions. Extra info can be found on Redmondpie.

Once complete load up Cydia and install the new v1.0.1 of ultrasn0w. If you cannot find it you need to add repo repo666.ultrasn0w.com. Reboot and done. Again….more info here.

@Milkie

Still can't seem to drag music across to the phone, apps don't seem any better than Apple's.

What do you mean when you say 'drag music across to the iPhone'? You trying to drag/drop like you would with a creative/sony mp3 player?

Also the point of Cydia apps, well most, is not to be better than Apples. More to offer apps that Apple will never allow in the Appstore.

Some of it is akin to putting go faster stripes on your car, but some are genuinely useful, 2 such examples would be MyWi which turns my iPhone into a wireless hot spot so I can connect to it with my macbook and use its 3G connection if I am out and have no access to wireless or want to pay for access and Infinifolders which allows me to have more than 12 apps in a folder.

Its just little things like that….tweaks and such like to personalise and get your phone set up how you want.

Milkie
    Free Member

You trying to drag/drop like you would with a creative/sony mp3 player?

It would be nice. Couldn't find an app that enabled this feature.

I can see the advantages of Jailbreaking, but it's not as good as everyone seemed to have me believe.

Terminal doesn't work either, so I can't change the default password, I can't seem to find a great resource of information and how to's for Jailbroken phones/Cydia.

I guess the problems could be from using iPhone 4 and iOS 4.0.1. but still seems a little buggy.

Jamie
    Free Member

You can drag and drop music via openSSH, but I just cannot imagine why you would want to? After all you are still tied to iTunes for app/podcast/audiobook etc management.

Edit: Saying that you could always use Iphone Explorer…works with or without JB, you just lose root access, and is freeware. Mac and PC. The thing is due to the way the iPhone file structure is done, random named *.mp3s linked to from the iTunes databas, it will be 'interesting' to see what results you get from dragging in stuff. Fairly sure iPod app will not play what gets chucked in.

http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/

Terminal doesn't work either

Yeah it does, just a bit of a faff at the mo as had to be installed via *.deb.

De-Install MobileTerminal.

Download the deb file.

Then load your SSH client. (I prefer using T-PoT for Total Commander to copy files)

Browse to /var/root/Media/

Create a new folder called Cydia and inside that folder another folder called AutoInstall (both are case-sensitive) — With T-PoT you can create the Folders on your hard disk and move them to the Media folder if you don't know the correct commands to create folders.

Now copy the .deb file into the AutoInstall folder. Then reboot AND respring.

After the reboot it will be installed, after the respring you will find it on your springboard!

Works fine for me!

– Sinfuliphone.com

CountZero

In reply to the query above, Viewranger is really excellent. About the only thing missing from the Sybian version is the Panorama screen, which will come in a later update. I already have the DVD from when I had my N95, (and I whole-heartedly second MrNutt's opinion of the N Series interface), and once I got the app on the phone it was pretty easy to link via wifi to my PowerBook and copy whichever maps I wanted across, then I could also get 1:25k maps from Viewranger's store for whatever areas I needed. The first 600sq km are free. Viewranger consistently gets excellent reviews, I've not had it on the iPhone very long, so I've not had very long to play with it. I didn't get on with the Nokia at all, having to phaff around with an external BT GPS and the piddly little screen just put me off. Anquet are getting their app ready, with a Mac desktop version as well, but it's not available yet, and I'd have had to buy all the maps all over again.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Jailbreaking iPhones’ is closed to new replies.