• This topic has 477 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by db.
Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 478 total)
  • Jacob Rees-Mogg
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

we know he is a bigot fuelled by god and christians want the right to discriminate.

Its perfectly reasonable to judge him on this, you positively because its part of your club and others negatively
    Hitler had convictions we still criticised him

When others hold on to beliefs we disagree with, we bracket them as conviction politicians and criticise (and some even bully) those who dIsagree.

you mean like when you speak about the SNP ?
    Dear god have you no shame?

The beam in thine eye THM the beam

Junkyard
    Free Member

just another example of TJ’s bigotted view when it comes to those of faith.

has he said they will die for their sins or was he more tolerant than that ?
    Did he suggest we stone him as an abomination?

mattyfez

Well legal marriage takes place in a registry office, it’s signing a contract. It’s not a religious event.
    Whether you chose to have a serimony in a church or on a beach is quite irrelevant.

To say same sex couples can’t legally marry is a purely selfish attitude, and even more bigoted.
    They are not doing any harm and have a right just like anyone else.

That’s why it’s fundamentally bigoted to be against gay marriage. They are causing no bother, so what right do you have to stop them?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I hope someone can put a link to this thread on JRMs Facebook thingy – or his nanny’s if he doesn’t have one – he would be tickled pink

5thElefant
    Free Member

To say same sex couples can’t legally marry is a purely selfish attitude, and even more bigoted.
    They are not doing any harm and have a right just like anyone else.

Absolutely. It is also abhorrent that any couple can’t form a legal partnership to take advantage of the legal and tax benefits it offers. Siblings for example.

mefty
    Free Member

has he said they will die for their sins or was he more tolerant than that ?

Judge for yourself, here is where he laid out his cards

Geetee – I loathe and despise religion and the religious, I believe all people who believe in god(s) are feeble minded.
    I think the religious, religion and belief in god as an incredibly regressive, negative, dangerous and harmful mental illness. It is a force of incredible harm and holds back the human race.

Its not biogotry.

Junkyard
    Free Member

IMHO if you cannot legally consummate it then you cannot get married

I never really understood where all this left field thing about siblings marrying came from in this debate.

Is it basically an excuse to avoid tax ?surely even the most tight fisted of right wing tax avoider would baulk at marrying their sibling just to save money?

Have I underestimated their avarice?

tjagain

Hatred? Biggoted? neither are true. I find Ress Mogg odious and contemptable

Just as a little example of my bigoted attitudes to faith – I once worked alongside some nuns for an organisation that (before I worked for them)was run by the religious order. There were also some nuns amongst the patients. This was a good many years ago. One of the nuns ( who had taken a vow of poverty) gave me a cutting off her favourite plant. I still have it and I treasure it. I looked after her in accordance with her faith. Yes I have no time for religion but I do not discriminate on religious grounds.

And predictably while I was posting this post Mefty puts up that quote again from years ago that I apologised for at the time.

mefty
    Free Member

Jacob works with some gay people too. a few Scottish ones.

Junkyard
    Free Member

awesome the some of my friends are black defence 🙄

What a shame he wants to treat them less well than his straight friends due to their sexuality which is the dictionary definition of

1) Tolerance
    2) Bigotry/discrimination

mefty
    Free Member

And predictably while I was posting this post Mefty puts up that quote again from years ago that I apologised for at the time.

Yep, because it is the single most disgusting thing I have seen posted on this website – you say you apologized for it, you didn’t apologize on the thread, and it is hardly something you can apologize for.

5thElefant
    Free Member

IMHO if you cannot legally consummate it then you cannot get married

So intersex, injured or just not interested should be barred? Consumation is all about conception and we’ve decided that doesn’t matter.

I never really understood where all this left field thing about siblings marrying came from in this debate.

It’s about partnership. Two elderly sisters sharing a house together for example.

Is it basically an excuse to avoid tax ?surely even the most tight fisted of right wing tax avoider would baulk at marrying their sibling just to save money?

Having to pay a tax bill when your sister dies is OK then?

Have I underestimated their avarice?
    No, you’ve just missed that people form all kinds of life partnerships. What you do with your genitals shouldn’t be the businesses of the state.

tjagain

What mefty appear unable to understand is that a rationalist like me can have no time for religion and view it as a regressive force – but is able to set this aside and treat everyone as equal and to accept their views. Why – because its the morally and ethically correct thing to do.

Note also it is mefty who brought religion into this. I made no mention of it.

mefty
    Free Member

I understand perfectly what you are.

No, JRM did because that is the reason he voted against gay marriage.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Mefty – your joke/irony was wasted ^

Very funny to see it played out though – in spades. Bravo!!

mefty
    Free Member

Mefty – your joke/irony was wasted ^

Some seed falls on stony ground

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

It’s about partnership. Two elderly sisters sharing a house together for example.

Is nothing like a marriage hence they cannot get married

Do you really need the difference between a marriage and a platonic relationship explaining to you ?

5thElefant
    Free Member

I guess so. How is it relevent?

We can define marriage to mean anything we like. Why do we chose to exclude those who want to make a life partnership because of what they do with their genitals?

Why would we even care?

Junkyard
    Free Member

it is the single most disgusting thing I have seen posted on this website

YOU really should get hold of all the stuff the mods delete –

– you say you apologized for it, you didn’t apologize on the thread, and it is hardly something you can apologize for

Yes that was definitely what Jesus said

One can apologise for anything whether others choose to accept it is another issue

tjagain

Another example of my bigoted attitude towards the religious. I once employed some muslim men. We served alcohol and normally it would be part of their duties to do so. I found a way around this for them so as not to put them in a difficult position. Why? Because it was the morally correct thing to do.

tjagain

And note – that statement Mefty keeps on posting that I made ( How many times now? should I be flattered he stalks me that much? ) is not aimed at an individual whereas mefty has sent several personal insults my way

He who is without sin cast the first stone

mefty
    Free Member

JRM’s domestic staff are probably gay too – very common in that line of work

Junkyard
    Free Member

We can define marriage to mean anything we like

Yes we can but currently it does not include sibling marriages of convenience to avoid tax. I am awaiting an explanation of why it should

Why do we chose to exclude those who want to make a life partnership because of what they do with their genitals?

Because platonic friendship or sibling kinship is no more a marriagethan a business partnership is a marriage

How about mum marries son a dad son b all just to avoid tax….still ok with you ?

chestrockwell

I think the point made further up is valid. If you can bonk each other and it’s legally ok you can get married. If you decide not to that’s up to you.

Junkyard
    Free Member

until he allows them to marry who they chose he remains a bigot.

mefty
    Free Member

I am not convinced Catholicism precludes the employment of married gays.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yes we can but currently it does not include sibling marriages of convenience to avoid tax. I am awaiting an explanation of why it should

Because life partnerships exist between siblings.

How about mum marries son a dad son b all just to avoid tax….still ok with you ?

Yes. I know of a mother and son, both elderly, that are in a life partnership (they’ve been interdependent for 40+ years). On the death of the mother the son could get a tax bill and have to leave his home. I doubt the house is worth enough to be fair, but they should have the same protection as any other couple can gain through marriage.

My sister in law and husband lived with her father. I did suggest my sister in law divorce her husband so he could marry her father to avoid them getting taxed on inheriting the shared family home. She didn’t go for it. But what your suggesting is possible now and entirely reasonable.

In fact limiting marriages to couples is a bad idea. If you choose to live with your parents you should be able to form a four way marriage to gain the same benefits as a couple in a life partnership.

Junkyard
    Free Member

excellent news so the priesthood will be awash with married gays then.

Great news eh

Junkyard
    Free Member

life partnerships exist between siblings.

they do but marriages dont as life partnership exists in business. So what its nto what makes marriage special is it.

they should have the same protection as any other couple can gain through marriage.

they do the same as every other couple who are not or cannot marry.
    I know what you think not why.

If you choose to live with your parents you should be able to form a four way marriage to gain the same benefits as a couple in a life partnership.

to make sure you keep all the banjos?

Again WHY

Ok you would let any number of people choose to say they are married to avoid tax

Why?

tjagain

Mefty – I take it religion / Christianity is important to you?

Matthew 7:1 Judge not, that you be not judged.

Matthew 7:12 So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

John 8:7 “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.”

Perhaps follow your creed?

Googled to get the verses. From my studies of religion I knew the quotes and many more

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member 
    This again?

Didn’t we bash JRM a few weeks ago?

Wouldn’t it be better to just “cut and paste” the comments out of that thread.

POSTED 5 DAYS AGO # REPORT-POST

Was it as funny as this one bikebouy?

mefty
    Free Member

I take it religion / Christianity is important to you?

Not particularly, but I detest hypocrisy.

Some good advice there, perhaps you should take some heed of it.

tjagain

Ah – that would be claiming to be Christian but not following the teachings. Or do you mean me? Please explain where I have been a hypocrite? Argumentative git I will give you.

angeldust
    Free Member

Some good advice there, perhaps you should take some heed of it.

I wouldn’t hold your breathe mate 😈

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Was it as funny as this one bikebouy?

God, no!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I detest hypocrisy.

that will be why you are attacking the bigotry of christian re homosexuality/equal marriage rights as much as you are attacking TJ then ?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Don’t bring God into it – mefty might have done, but I think he got away with it….

mefty
    Free Member

that will be why you are attacking the bigotry of christian re homosexuality/equal marriage rights as much as you are attacking TJ then ?

Too much competition, I prefer to plough my furrow.

But on a more serious note, I don’t think sticking to your religious beliefs is bigotry – I am very glad we have laws that protect the religious from discrimination as we do for LGBT community. Sometimes those rights will come into conflict as with gay marriage. We as a society need to find a compromise to assuage both sides.

andyrm
    Free Member

But on a more serious note, I don’t think sticking to your religious beliefs is bigotry – I am very glad we have laws that protect the religious from discrimination as we do for LGBT community. Sometimes those rights will come into conflict as with gay marriage. We as a society need to find a compromise to assuage both sides.

Bloody hell, don’t go disrupting the echo chamber with such sensible comments….. Absolutely bang on. We should be respectful of alternative views, regardless of whether we agree with them, and definitely not be shouting people down or recklessly banding offensive terms like “bigot” about just because someone has a different belief or viewpoint.

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 478 total)

The topic ‘Jacob Rees-Mogg’ is closed to new replies.