Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Jacking it all in and going to one bike – warning, hissy fit content!
  • nonk
    Free Member

I don’t get this packing it in lark
    I own one very nice mountain bike and ride it as much as I can
    Why do you need loads of bikes ?
    If the mrs moans at you for being a a bike rider just pack it in and get fat.

JCL
    Free Member

The wife said something about the cost of some clothing. I looked her hard in the face and said, deal with it or divorce, your choice.

That was that.

Jamie
    Free Member

The wife said something about the cost of some clothing. I looked her hard in the face and said, deal with it or divorce, your choice.

That was that.

So how is the divorce going? I know a good lawyer, if you need one.

muggomagic

That was that.
    So how is the divorce going? I know a good lawyer, if you need one.

When he says “said” he means “thought”.

rene59
    Free Member

Invent some expensive repairs that need doing around the house and filter the money back into your bikes.

You get bonus points for doing the repairs yourself rather than getting someone in which would be more costly. Plus you get to go out riding when she is at work and you are at home ‘fixing’ things.

She will never know.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

If you have to lie to her then its not the bike that needs changing.

brassneck

29er, skinny wheel set for road work and maybe a posh carbon fork to complement the bouncy ones.

One bike, sorted .

rOcKeTdOg

I’m currently trying to downsize the bikes, not through OH pressure, she has as many herself just going one MTB one road.

Santacruz super light 29er frame & singular Pegasus frame for sale btw

nimo
    Free Member

I have cut down to one bike only , a singlespeed rigid inbred 29er. There is nothing I can’t ride on this. local xc, trailcentres , bike park wales. brilliant in all situations. and it never breaks. double brilliant……..

adsh
    Free Member

You’ve got to row about something. Get rid of the bikes and it’ll be something else.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

“A knackered CX and an outdated MTB”. Exactly how much cash do you think any right-minded person would give you for them?
    At best you might get enough to buy a VERY entry level MTB.
    Sit tight for now and do the maintenance when you can.
    I’d suggest you and her need to agree a ‘personal allowance’ of spending money for each of you every month that’s yours for your own indulgence.

EDIT: For example, how the hell can Christmas and birthday presents to each other be meaningful if they are bought from a joint account?

cookeaa

I’m having a bit of a purge at the moment, paring down, trying to be realistic, I’ve just got too much “Stuff” and not all of it actually gets used currently…
    Frames and bits are going in the post every other day, and freeing up more Garage space is really nice, I should be bolstering the bank balance (Brownie points with ‘er indoors to be scored there)…

I’m even toying with splitting and flogging my (mostly worthless) DH bike as it only comes out a handful of times every year and I really quite like riding my HT(s) more now…

However I went and looked at the paypal balance and it’ll comfortably cover a new pompino or pompetamine frame and some bits for (yet) another build, or contribute substantially to a cheap 2nd hand CXer, or some new parts for the HT… ARRRRGGGGGGGHHHH!!!

I Really should be disciplined, liquidate my “Unused assets” and enjoy riding what I’ve got… This feels like some sort of “test of character” TBH…

OP examine your bikes and their use and what “Riding bases” you actually need to cover, Dare I say it Strava’s function telling you mileage for each bike is quite handy for this….

My missus knows I need to do some sort of bike riding or else I get just tetchy, once I’m out and enjoying it it doesn’t matter so much which specific Niche I’m riding TBH…
    obviously more bikes need more upkeep and I apparently need task specific riding clothes, but she still gets suspicious of mystery packages arriving…

Yep odd as it may sound I reckon fewer bikes = more riding…

cookeaa

Oh and bikes without gears or suspension are substantially easier and cheaper to maintain IME.

ads678

I’ve recently done something similar, I sold 2 FS frames a HT frame and a few other bits and now have a road bike for commuting and a LT hardtail for MTB’ing/rides with the kids. And put a load of better stuff on the wifes bike.

Although i am now looking at getting a 160-180mm travel FS!!

chakaping
    Free Member

Just keep your head down OP, it’ll all blow over in a week or so.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

its not about the bikes! …. (power struggle plain and simple) IMO of course 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

Depends…if your wife is the main source of income and she doesn’t spend on herself then I’d completely understand why she’d be annoyed.

However, in my experience “One Bike” invariably involves compromise along the way somewhere, so think carefully before you take that plunge.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Jacking it all in and going to one bike – warning, hissy fit content!’ is closed to new replies.