Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Jackie Chan or Bruce Lee
  • jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Who is the badass-est?

jam-bo

chuck norris. duh.

mudshark
    Free Member

Lee for sure, less messing about.

wilko1999
    Free Member

I’m a huge Jackie fan, but Bruce has to be the worst-ass(?)

EDIT : Bruce will tear you apart with a set of Nunchuks, while Jackie is more likely to throw a wicker basket at you and then get stuck in a set of folding aluminium steps 😀

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Jackie chan is Ace but Bruce lee was a real fighter/innovator so he’s the baddest!

disco_stu
    Free Member

chuck norris. duh.

Not seen Way of the Dragon then?

molgrips
    Free Member

Have you actually seen any Bruce Lee films? I’m sure you would not be asking that question if you had!

And Lee defeats Norris in Way of the Dragon, so that question’s been answered.

zilog6128

Silly question really, since Jackie Chan trained in the HK equivalent of a theatre school whereas Bruce Lee made it his mission from an early age to become the hardest bastard on Earth (and arguably succeeded!)

hora
    Free Member

Jackie Chan is a very very versatile acrobatic martial artist. For decades he has been doing stunts and fight scenes that’d leave most of us in a wheelchair. Don’t diss him. He trained vigorously in martial arts.

For that reason I chose him. Project A Part 1 is his finest IMO.

Just don’t let him sing. Ever.

Northwind

I think Jackie Chan would win in a fair fight, because Bruce Lee’s dead.

hora
    Free Member

Samo Hung’s best film is spooky Encounters 😀

wilko1999
    Free Member

Project A is so funny. Classic film. That Jackie era was great – Wheels on Meals, Armour of God, Police Story etc. Classics. Bruce was still the worst-ass though

martymac

for sheer screen presence, bruce lee, by a big margin.
    in terms of fighting ability, i doubt any of the 3 would want to fight each other for real, in fact chuck norris was quoted as saying that in an interview, its on youtube somewhere.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcl81ldNODc

hora
    Free Member

There are alot of very capable martial artists in Jackie Chan’s films.

Does their talent give Jackie’s ‘theatrical style’ credibility or wouldn’t their ability show up someones inability?

Who would win?

Jet Li. Hes a master of many Kung Fu styles (and a Chinese Champion).

Danny79
    Free Member

Jackie’s slapstick fighting is great but Bruce is a bad-ass.

Wenzhuo Zhao (sometimes credited as Chiu Man-cheuk) and Jet Li are where it’s at though.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0158414/?ref_=fn_al_nm_2
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001472/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

grum
    Free Member

Bruce was more bad ass but I’d mostly rather watch Jackie Chan. Drunken Master is my favourite.

Some of the earlier Jet Li films are awesome. Think he was a real life martial arts champion or something.

fasthaggis

Bruce Lee

The only person that I have ever bought a poster of.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

If we’re bringing current badassery into the equation, I’m thinking Tony Jaa is a likely candidate:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znYwq5UOaX8[/video]

scandal42
    Free Member

Ray Mears

richmtb

Bruce Lee

Although I’m pretty sure Chuck Norris would have had him in a proper fight. Bruce Lee was an amazing fighter but Chuck Norris was a whole lot bigger, that tends to make a difference in the real world

gonzy
    Free Member

i have to agree that Bruce Lee is the king badass of martial arts. he was the one who started it off really
    but i have to agree that Jackie Chan is also great in that he has taken it to a different level with the comedy level and his own stunts…police story 1 & 2, Project A, Drunken Master, Snake in the Eagles Shadow…some of his newer stuff although watchable arent as great as the stuff he did pre hollywood.
    Jet Li is the same. a great martial artist and some of his earlier stuff is superb but his newer stuff isnt as great.
    Samo Hung is kind of the same as Jackie Chan.
    another to add is Donnie Yen…another accomplished martial artist who has made some good movies..notably Ip Man (Bruce Lee’s real life teacher).
    they’re all great martial artists in their own right but Bruce is the daddy and if he was stil alive it would be interesting to see how they would fare against each other in a fight…

that Tony Jaa looks like he’s pretty good but his moves in that video make his look like Eddy Gordo off Tekken

as for Chuck Norris….hmmmmmmm!!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Although I’m pretty sure Chuck Norris would have had him in a proper fight. Chuck Norris was a whole lot bigger

You can quickly pole-axe any bloke no mater how big. Infact BL in an interview once stated that in a proper street fight, eye poking and a kick to the bollox would even be his preferred method to dispense with someone quickly.

zilog6128

There are alot of very capable martial artists in Jackie Chan’s films.

Does their talent give Jackie’s ‘theatrical style’ credibility or wouldn’t their ability show up someones inability?It’s irrelevant really because they all adopt a theatrical style for cinema. It’s all based around very elaborate choreography and it’s much more like dancing/gymnastics than fighting. All of the “best” on-screen fighters (including Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Jet Li, Tony Jaa) have trained specifically to look good rather than to actually fight. Not saying they couldn’t kick the arse of most people though because I’ve no doubt they could.

Very few of the big-name martial arts stars have fought much competitively, if at all, because actual fighting skills don’t make for cool looking screen fights. A few who spring to mind straight away are Van Damme, Dolph Lundgren and Chuck Norris – I wouldn’t say their screen fighting is up to much but they were all very competitive fighters in their day.

You can quickly pole-axe any bloke no mater how big. Infact BL in an interview once stated that in a proper street fight, eye poking and a kick to the bollox would even be his preferred method to dispense with someone quickly.

This. Real fights are nothing like you see on-screen, or even during a “proper” fight (with rules).

Northwind

Vin Diesel could take them all with one flying headbutt.

grum
    Free Member

All of the “best” on-screen fighters (including Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Jet Li, Tony Jaa) have trained specifically to look good rather than to actually fight.

Li was eight when his talent for wushu was noticed at a summer course at school, and he began his practice there.[3] Li participated in the sport of wushu in the non-sparring event. He began his wushu on the Beijing Wushu Team, an athletic group organized to perform martial arts forms during the All China Games. He was coached by renowned wushu coaches Li Junfeng and Wu Bin,[4] who made extra efforts to help the talented boy develop. Wu Bin even bought food for Li’s family because they could not afford to buy meat, which was essential for the good physical condition of an athlete.[4] As a member of the team, he received wushu training and went on to win fifteen gold medals and one silver medal in Chinese wushu championships, where, despite his young age, he competed against adults.[5]

My winning first place caused quite a sensation, because I was so young. I was 12 years old, and the other two medallists were in their mid- to late twenties. During the awards ceremony, as I stood on the top step of the podium, I was still shorter than the 2nd and 3rd place medallists. It must have been quite a sight.

Li is a master of several styles of wushu, especially Changquan (Northern Longfist Style) and Fanziquan (Tumbling fist). He has also studied other arts including Baguazhang (Eight trigram palm), Taijiquan (Supreme ultimate fist), Xingyiquan (Shape intent fist), Zuiquan (Drunken fist), Yingzhaoquan (Eagle claw fist) and Tanglangquan (Praying mantis fist). He did not learn Nanquan (Southern fist), because his training focused only in the Northern Shaolin Styles. He has also studied some of wushu’s main weapons, such Sanjiegun (Three section staff), Gun (staff), Dao (Broadsword), Jian (Straight sword) and many more.[8]

It is Jet Li’s authentic martial arts prowess that enabled his rise to domestic and international fame.[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_Li

zilog6128

Vin Diesel could take them all with one flying headbutt.

I would have agreed with that before I watched the latest Fast & Furious film. He looks like a scrawny old woman when he’s standing next to The Rock!!

Grum, if you actually bothered to read that article you posted, it clearly says Jet Li trained in non-sparring forms, which are basically aesthetic versions of fighting moves.

Wu-shu is massive in China, and although it’s a martial art, a lot of people (most?) just train solo for display competitions, not for actual fighting.

hora
    Free Member

A 17yr old Sierra Leoni boysoldier with a AK47 would make mince meat of them all.

Northwind

zilog6128 – Member

I would have agreed with that before I watched the latest Fast & Furious film. He looks like a scrawny old woman when he’s standing next to The Rock!!

That’s all done with camera positions, like the Hobbit- the Rock is actually only 4 foot 7.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Think he was a real life martial arts champion or something.

wushu is closer to floor gymnastics than fighting is it not though?

zilog6128

The way Jet Li does it, yes.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Anyway why are we going into massive detail about Jet Li’s supposed level of badass-ness? The question was which out of Jackie or Bruce, to which there is an obvious answer – Arnold Schwarzenegger

grum
    Free Member

Grum, if you actually bothered to read that article you posted, it clearly says Jet Li trained in non-sparring forms, which are basically aesthetic versions of fighting moves.

Wu-shu is massive in China, and although it’s a martial art, a lot of people (most?) just train solo for display competitions, not for actual fighting.

Oooh get you!

Fair enough – didn’t realise that.

brakes
    Free Member

And Lee defeats Norris in Way of the Dragon, so that question’s been answered.

but which one of them is dead?
    coincidence? or Dim Mak Norris attack?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pffft.

Seagal.

AlexSimon

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Pffft.

Seagal.
    Fast hands (or whatever bollocks he said)

Speshpaul

Seagal! one slap around the back of the head and his face would go slack.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Anyway why are we going into massive detail about Jet Li’s supposed level of badass-ness? The question was which out of Jackie or Bruce, to which there is an obvious answer – Arnold Schwarzenegger

There is a great deal of evidence to suggest Arnie may indeed have a bad ass…

google

‘Arnold Schwarzenegger Jimmy Savile’

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHv_rmPid3o[/video]

neilnevill
    Free Member

good god, I agree with flashie.

McHamish
    Free Member

As above, Jackie Chan’s foundation is Peking Opera School…basically glorified gymnastics. Although a core component of that training is Wu Shu kung fu which includes the various animal forms and tai chi chuan etc.

Bruce Lee’s foundation is Wing Chun, which is a close quarters Southern Chinese kung fu style favouring linear movements and direct effective attacks. Wing Chun isn’t supposed to look good (like Jackie Chan’s kung fu), but is supposed to be effective. Although fans of MMA believe that wing chun is something to be laughed at – in my view this is because there are many practitioners who have little or no real skill. He didn’t complete the style so would not have ‘mastered’ the more advanced forms from wing chun. He didn’t think that flowery attacks were effective, but recognised they looked good on the screen so he learnt them. He then developed his own ‘style’ Jeet Kune Do which was effectively a style without a style. Basically you adopt what works for you. This is his contribution to martial arts – in my opinion, although a Hong Kong movie star, all he really wanted to do was master martial arts.

Jet Li competed in martial arts events after learning wu shu from a young age – he has apparently mastered various traditional forms (such as five animals and other Northern and Southern styles).

Someone mentions Tony Jaa…the style he portrays in his films and the video above is Muay Boran the original militaristic, non-competitive style that spawned Muay Thai. However, from what I understand he didn’t study this style, and went to an acrobatics school. He learnt tai kwon do…of which the Olympic style is largely ineffective against other more ‘martial’ based styles. There are many, many Muay Thai fighters across the world against whom, Tony Jaa would lose a competitive fight.

This is all my opinion of course. Calling a martial art ineffective is a sensitive topic as you’ll offend any practitioner of that style. It largely depends on the individual…you could argue that all of those people mentioned are movie stars first and martial artists second.

neilnevill
    Free Member

[video]<iframe width=”420″ height=”315″ src=”//www.youtube.com/embed/cwFwSIMmq4g” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Jackie Chan or Bruce Lee’ is closed to new replies.