• This topic has 23 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by wl.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Jackets – Montane Prism vs Rab Generator Alpine – which is warmest?
  • wl
    Free Member

Anyone used both these jackets? Interested to know how they compare for warmth. Obviously I’ll not be riding in either – using for walking, bothies, emergency warmth while hanging around on rides etc. Ta v much.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I have standard generator jacket and looked at the prism as well. The generator had a heavier fill of primaloft and was warmer so went for that.

Matt_SS_xc

Not tried that rab, but don’t find my prism very warm at all compared with various others I have/had…

CraigW
    Free Member

Look at the Montane Flux if you want something a bit warmer. Its the same weight of Primaloft as that Rab.

Squib
    Free Member

Generator by quite a margin. It uses a 100/60 fill (100 in body and 60 in arms and sleeves) using PrimaLoft One. The Prism uses a 40g all over except around the pockets where it is doubled for warming hands so 80g. They use PrimaLoft Eco which, although made from recycled bottles, isn’t as warm!

The Rab is also a longer fit as the prism is more orientated as a mid layer.

Outer fabrics are also quite different. Both made by Pertex but the Prism uses Microlight and the Generator uses Endurance, which is tougher and more water resistant, but heavier (the Rab will be over 100g heavier over all).

continuity
    Free Member

Primaloft One is noticeably warmer than ECO.

The rab also has a proper helmet hood.

wl
    Free Member

Cheers all. Good info.

carlphillips
    Free Member

Love my prism… Is my go to jacket for all weathers and I find it warm enough… (I do live in the sw though).

hora
    Free Member

I’ve owned both the Flux and Ice Guide. The Alpine Generator is more equal to the Flux than the Prism. For standing still the Flux isn’t warm enough.

nedrapier

Mountain Equipment Fitzroy is worth a look too.

CHB

I have had a few Montane bits of kit and the cut is not right for me. Prefer Rab or Embers for kit.

hora
    Free Member

Kinda agree

rockstar101
    Free Member

I really rate snugpak’s, cheaper and equal in quality to RAB IMO

http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/clothing/jackets

hora
    Free Member

Equal in performance maybe but it looks lolike something you’d buy in BHS stores.

😀

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Prism is a great jacket, but very short. Mine is warm but it could definitely do with being 2 inches longer ( 😳 )

bonesetter
    Free Member

I have long back and the Regatta – see other thread – fits well, as does the Alpkit

wl
    Free Member

nedrapier – cheers. Considered this one and it would be my first choice, but it’s a chunk of money more than the Rab I found online (£85). Have you got a Fitzroy? Rate it highly?

I’m a big fan of Primaloft One – already own a full-on winter belay jacket and it’s roasting, perfect for a general winter coat. Too bulky for what I have in mind this time tho.

Everyone – cheers for the info. Any more always welcome.

BadlyWiredDog

I have a Genertor Alpine upstairs and my mate accidentally left his Montane Prism in my kitchen last week. The Generator Alpine is bigger, longer and warmer – it’s designed as a lightweight belay jacket and has a helmet hood. It also uses a more water-resistant version of Pertex for the outer shell.

I’d buy the Prism as an emergency lightweight thing, but the Generator for more regular use. That said, I wouldn’t buy the Prism anyway. It’s too short and boxy for me, I prefer the Rab Xenon stuff or maybe one of the ME equivalents. Or a Haglofs Barrier Pro.

Montane’s cut used to be very athletic, but seems to have got more and more ‘generous’ over the past few years. I’m a pretty standard medium and the small-size Prism is ample on me and still slightly loose, but that’s just personal fit.

euain

Mountain Equipment Citadel is a good jacket if you’re looking for something to keep you warm standing about.

Too big to put in a camelbak though it can fit into a reasonable-sized stuff sack. It was the warmest synthetic jacket I could find a couple of years ago.

GregMay
    Free Member

Patagonia Nano-puff. Amazing jackets.

cat69uk
    Free Member

I’ve had the Rab for the last 2 years, great for just about everything. Wife has the Prism, lot thinner as already mentioned.

nedrapier

wl – Fitzroy arrived in the post last night.

I went a bit provisionally crazy on the credit card. Saw the Rab Inferno cheap online, ordered it, it’s a bit big. Rab’s M used to be a good fit for me (slim 5’11”), but not so much any more, chappy in cotswold said they’ve gone a bit chunkier in the body since going more heavily into the American market. I know these belay jackets are supposed to be cut big to work as an overlayer, but add that to the tubbier body shape, and the M is too big in the body, and the S is too short in the body and the arm.

The fill in the inferno recycled polyester and isn’t as warm as Primaloft 1, and there’s only 80/60? fill. Ordered a Generator from Go outdoors (£90)(Primaloft 1), prior year, thinking it might be cut smaller than this years. Still a bit big.

Someone told me that ME has moved to a slimmer cut in the body, so looked at the Fitzroy, the fill is Primaloft Gold for this year – a synth/hydrophobic down mix.

£179 from Facewest , so yes, a chunk more than £85, but a free T shirt and £18 off your next order helps narrow the gap. The fit’s good and it’s the warmest of the lot.

The others are going back.

wl
    Free Member

nedrapier – cheers for this update, interesting stuff. I ended up buying a Generator Alpine from Go – £85 with a code. I bought a small and medium (one to send back) and I’m right between the two. Agree that the body is slightly loose on the med (I’m 5′ 10″ and around 11.5 stone) but the small was very slightly restrictive around the chest, plus too tight really to get anything underneath. Medium is only slightly on the loose side, so I’ll keep it – a fleece will go under it too, which could be useful.

It’s a lovely jacket at that price – not worth retail though, which is double the price. Money no object I’d have had the ME – better brand, I reckon – bit more function, bit less fashion. BTW – I actually have a Prism already (great little coat, but a step down from the Rab in terms of warmth. I’ve been doing lots of solo rides in minus degrees, so wanted a warmer back-up for emergencies etc. Plus I hike and camp – it’ll be useful then. Enjoy your Fitzroy – good choice!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Jackets – Montane Prism vs Rab Generator Alpine – which is warmest?’ is closed to new replies.