Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Jacket Recommendations for a Sweaty Bugger
  • bighairydel

Looking for a jacket I can wear not just when its raining but for windy / slightly colder days and commuting. I sweat a lot so needs to be very breathable. I was thinking of trying a Paramo Quito Jacket though the fit doesn’t look as close as i’d like.

Any other recommendations???

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Don’t bother and get changed at the end.

If it’s cold, wear a jacket and still get changed at the end.

Nothing can shift as much water as a sweaty guy produces. Most of these fabrics work best when it’s cold and dry outside – think high altitudes.

Last I heard Paramo was the most breathable. I’d also check out Haglöfs and Arc’teryx for top quality fabrics, though the fit for MTB might be wrong…..

vondally
    Free Member

As a really sweaty fellow when exercising nothing waterproof has worked simply due to th the internal being wetted out so stopping any breathable quality

So
    Pitzips help
    Good baselayers and mid…..avoid merino as quickly wet out if you sweat massively
    I have a Scott gore windstopper very think 80% waterproof. And dries quickly

Better being warm and wet

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gore alp-x soft shell. Keeps out all but a drenching, and not too hot at all. From another big sweaty bugger.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

As a fellow sweaty bugger I go either merino base with a simple gilet with a mesh back if it is a wet day, or a merino base and soft shell if it’s cold and wet. Rather be wet with rain than sweat.
    Really cold and wet sometimes sees a waterproof over the lot but I am generally too occupied trying to stay upright in the snow and ice to care about anything else 🙂

discoduck
    Free Member

I’ve found Howies Dyfi active shell pretty good, it’s got breathable panels in it and it just helps keep the chilling wind off.

As other sweaty buggers have said, not much point keeping the water out if your leaking.
    I’d just echo base, mid layers and a Gilet.

Either that or buy a cape, a red one with a big S on the back ?

neilwheel
    Free Member

Montane softshell, although the one, dynamo(?), I have Is not made anymore.

onandon
    Free Member

Rab vapour rise lite – I tend to sweat quite a bit and this has been a damn fine jacket for most outdoor activities.
    Packs up quite small which I ps a bonus.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d go with a light windproof/windstopper with venting or normal fabric on the back and backs of arms if you can find one.

I am tempted to try the endura sublimation printed long sleeve jersey.

I sweat a fair bit and have given up trying to find a waterproof that breathes enough.

andy3809
    Free Member

Montane singletrack has been great for me. Never runs too warm and keeps most of the rain off. Been a great jacket but not sure if they make it anymore

Kieran

If you sweat then nothing beat a Paramo for keeping you dry.

I now have several all collected off ebay. Personally I really rate the Velez for cycling but will agree the cut isn’t great if you aren’t well built.

What most people don’t realize is Paramo is recommended to be worn next to the skin and washed regularly like any other bit of clothing

justatheory
    Free Member

Montane Dyno? I’m selling one in the classifieds right now 😀

bighairydel

Cheers for all the suggestions, given me a few thoughts to explore!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Jacket Recommendations for a Sweaty Bugger’ is closed to new replies.