• This topic has 43 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Jack Russells- talk to me
  • hora
    Free Member

My boss acquired a 6month old boy JR this weekend in unusual circumstances and has asked if we could take him.

I’ve googled and googled and with children it boils down to each individual Jack Russell. 6months is still young enough to bond with a child?

I still deeply miss my Bingo (we had to rehome after he attacked hora junior twice hence the question on ‘good with children’).

Pook

Mark – don’t be so bloody stupid. With current stuff going on taking on even more responsibility is daft.

Say politely but firmly, no.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve got one, male, 4 yrs old. Had him since about 6-8 weeks old, at which time we had a just turned 1 yr old. One incident of the dog snapping at him (and not unprovoked) which he was reprimanded for and has never done since. They’re clever, so learn quickly. Ours is a brilliant little dog, I would have another one without any hesitation. I guess, as with all dogs, the nippy JR’s are the ones that have been allowed to get away with being nippy.

Toasty

Disappointed, I assumed you were hearing little jack russelly voices.

anagallis_arvensis

Hora, with all due respect and me knowing very little about your previous dog, are you sure it was the dog and not you. If you do go for it, have its balls removed straight away,

hora
    Free Member

We had a very male westie. He was in very good shape, the best that I’ve seen. In our local park there was another 7yr old westie who is overweight, many skin conditions etc etc whereas ours had the agility and ‘soul’ of a 2yr old Westie. It wasn’t his problem, he went from being the baby for 7yrs to being ‘the dog’. However he was always suspicious of children anyway. I’ve seen recent pics of Bingo. I’m not happy that hes now overweight!

winston_dog
    Free Member

thegreatape +1

I have 2 westies, both are very fit and have no skin problems etc. Although 1 is quite a bit faster than the other, they both seem to have the “attitude” of younger dogs.

They are both very friendly with people, however, 1 of them does not like children at all. He is very wary of them and does not like any attention from them at all, whereas the other is fine. The wary one once showed aggression to my friends daughter, didn’t actually nip her but certainly would of if he was allowed to continue. He was suitably “instructed” and has never done it again but I do not trust him around children.

As both dogs are from the same stock and have been trained and handled in the same way, it comes down to their individual personalties.

Del

i think you’re in danger of going through a succession of dogs that are really too small for you. have you considered a german pointer?

tracknicko
    Free Member

‘sausages’

binners

I got rid of my dog as it repeatedly attacked my small child. I know! I’ll get another one. You’re really not very bright are you? Just get a cat, or if you must….

rkk01
    Free Member

Not a breed I trust…

Spaniel? too daft to be dangerous…!

tracknicko
    Free Member

Spaniel? too daft to be dangerous…!

google ‘spaniel rage’.

not nice.

rkk01
    Free Member

From my understanding of spaniel rage, chances of this can be minimised with colour / breeding selection…?
    With overbred show cockers, in solid colours being the most prone?

Marin
    Free Member

Owned a JR for 12 years. He disliked everyone who didn’t live in our house and you would have probably have to of beaten him to death to get a point across that he didn’t agree with. He would try and attack any dog bigger than him and his idea of fetch was get the ball and attack it till it fell to pieces. Only mellowed when he got to be about 11 and all his teeth fell out. He was a great dog.

binners

How about a rabbit?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg[/video]

tracknicko
    Free Member

wrote a long old reply but just deleted it. bottom line:

From my understanding of spaniel rage, chances of this can be minimised with colour / breeding selection…?
    With overbred show cockers, in solid colours being the most prone?

this is DEFINATELY not true in my experience.

rkk01
    Free Member

tracknicko – sad to hear that

I do know someone who has had this with a cocker. Never saw the dog, but sounded pretty scary.

In the main though, spaniels seem to be pretty good (IME etc)

tracknicko
    Free Member

yeh definately. seen many many spaniels that are great, attentive dogs.

I was brought up with dogs. have had experience of pretty antisocial farm/yard ‘guard’ dogs from an early age

but with out Belley… well… I’ve never been more scared of an animal in my life.

rage is the only word for it, she didnt have a clue what she was doing. properly, properly firghtening, freakishly strong.

IHN

i think you’re in danger of going through a succession of dogs that are really too small for you. have you considered a german pointer?

Chapeau 🙂

In my experience, Jack Russells vary massively from dog to dog. When I were a lad I did a milk round and encountered loads of different dogs, collies and JRs on the farm (which were great dogs) and out on the round everything from Yorks terriers to Mastiffs as big as me. Some were friendly, some were yappy, some would try it on before I gacve them a sly kick. The only two dogs on the entire round that I was actively scared of were two JR’s owned by an old lady. I swear they would have eaten me alive given the chance.

But, it’s still a pup, so should enter the Hora ‘pack’ at the bottom and be happy to be there (assuming it’s trained properly).

Pook

Mark. Don’t get a dog.

tracknicko
    Free Member

i like JR’s BTW. if i had a farm i wouldn’t hesitate in getting one to run round the yard ratting and alarming me that folks had arrived.

i wouldn’t want one as an indoor pet. they seem both headstrong and aggressively noisy to me!

Orangejohn
    Free Member

Always hated the thought of a small yappy little dog.
    Went to look at a litter of JRs for my sister in-law.
    So impressed with the mother and other JRs on the farm we put our name down for one (sister in-law didn’t bother).
    Great dog, about seven months old, very calm and thoughtful and not that yappy (usually). Deals with children very well even at her young age.

If you are able to look at the parent/s do so, if not go and see the people/dog a few times and walk it.
    I think they are either great or awful; make sure you don’t take on a bad one.

mintimperial

Next door has one called Tilly. This is what we hear when she’s out in her garden:

YIPYIPYIPYIPYIPYIPYIPYIPYIP TILLEH! SHURRUP! YIPYIPYIPYIPYIPYIPYIPYIPYIP TILLEH! YIPYIPYIP etc.

You eventually learn to tune it out. Daft mutt makes an entertainingly loud thudding noise when she skitters into the back door after chasing our cats through the catflap, though.

(I should add that I actually quite like Jack Russells as a rule, the ones I’ve met have been nice and friendly most of the time. Even Tilly is ok when she shuts up.)

alex222
    Free Member

Jack russels are awesome. If you can give them enough time, like with most breeds of working dogs they don’t go mental.

If you can’t give them time they will become destructive.

Pigface
    Free Member

As said some are great some are the meanest small dog syndrom bundles of venom you will ever see.

My mum has a fab one who I will no doubt end up with when she shuffles off. Out of choice I wouldnt have one.

Ladders
    Free Member

Yep, some can be very docile and loving. My auntie had on like this, although he killed a chicken on a walk past a farm!

My Nanna had another that was a bit mad, didn’t like much fuss and would happily bite you if you wound it up!

alex222
    Free Member

My Nanna had another that was a bit mad

If you can’t give them time they will become destructive.

JR owned by senior citizens tend to fall into the destructive category because old people can’t give them enough time/exercise.

loddrik
    Free Member

I got a pup a few months ago but due to uncertainty about work commitments we let an extended family member take him.

Now work a bit more settled and the kids are full on ‘can we get a dog mode’ then I reckon we’ll get another (and keep it) pup soon.

I want another Jack but the wife has reservations.

Could a Jack come riding with me?

hora
    Free Member

A few months? What happens in another few months?..

binners

If you decided one day that you were going to attempt to drop kick a dog over a set of rugby posts, a Jack Russell would be perfect, I reckon

Ladders
    Free Member

JR owned by senior citizens tend to fall into the destructive category because old people can’t give them enough time/exercise.

It was a rescue dog. I assume it was either badly treated, or that other families had found her to hard to handle. She was fine but you just needed some patients with her. Wasn’t much for fuss either

Marin
    Free Member

I’d say so loddrik mine was taken out on 2 big walks a day and a small one. He still had time to destroy things he didn’t like. My mates JR has just gone blind, still goes for long walks, just follows a small bell my friend puts on his belt. Only thing that slows her down are deep puddles, only time I’ve seen one of the little buggers look worried. They are a bit like Marmite, love ’em or hate ’em.

plumber
    Free Member

We had jack russells as a family dog when younger – my dad gave them a very firm hand. Not an ounce of problems with them. Great dogs and not yappy at all given the right leadership.

I’d have another in a second if my lifestyle was right for a dog

MrsToast
    Free Member

Probably depends on the jack russell, as someone else mentioned there’s a lot of variety. The dog of the Follow the Dog trail at Cannock Chase was a jack russell called Zak. He was quite a long legged little fellow though.

Pook

Mark, don’t get a dog.

Expensive things.

brakes
    Free Member

Westies aren’t great with children – I grew up with a couple, and my Nan had a couple too. All game from different backgrounds – pedigrees, non-pedigrees, all well trained but all could be viscious little bastards when they wanted to be.
    Especially if you teased them 😳

hora
    Free Member

I know, I was beaten by a westie. Twice after I wouldn’t leave it alone whilst out on a bike ride 😆

hora
    Free Member

Hes not right for our situation. I met him last night. Amazing temperament, lovely dog. However hes more like 9months, quite a well grown dog and too much of an unknown commodity for me in out situation unfortunately. He was in a squalid flat for the first 9months of his life. So I don’t know if there is anything lurking within his temperament sadly. I was quite firm with him from the off and this turned him very timid and nervous which worried me about how he might have been treated.

For our situation we need from the ground up/puppy to be sure with him/her around our son.

He may be up for rehoming, however we/my boss would only let him go to a current Jack Russell/Terrier owner. Bingo went to a longterm Westie owner- it only seems right.

lazybike
    Free Member

deleted

loddrik
    Free Member

Am now officially on the hunt for a Parson Russell pup myself.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Jack Russells- talk to me’ is closed to new replies.