Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Jack Russell advice required…..
  • 69er
    Free Member

For all you JRT owners out there a canine question:

I've got a Lurcher who loves to come out with me on the bike who can do mile after mile. We've also now got a Jack Russell who in a few months will be capable of doing a few miles with the bike. He will however need to be rested for periods during the ride as I don't want to over extend him.

I'd rather not have a wicker basket on my bars 8O, has anyone got any experience of a dog carrying device? Possibly papoose style or trailer type?

judderman
    Free Member

I know someone who carries his in a rucksack when he gets tired 😯

2hottie
    Free Member

I would second the rucksack option.

69er
    Free Member

Was thinking rucksack, I'll do some more research and report back…. thanks for your replies.

mtbfix

We saw a JR out trail hounding on Sundays ride in the Reading area. I did wonder what the staying power of those lads is given their tiny legs.

thejesmonddingo

Just tie it's lead to the back of the bike,it'll soon learn to keep up.
    Ian
    (or die)

taxi25
    Free Member

I've got a JR he's a great dog but usless as a trail hound. They aren't renowed for their stamina.I don't take mine out on rides ( he's been known to bu$$er of home whilst jogging around the park ) If you do take him, give him plenty of breaks and be prepared to carry him at some point.

takisawa2

I used to carry my Westie Cross on my shoulder when I used to ride to my Mums. He learnt to stay put after leaping after cats a few times. Eventually became quite adept at it with just a steadying hand from me on his back.

jedi

my jrt's can run for a couple hours easy

AndyP
    Free Member

2 weetabix, soak in milk for exactly 8 minutes.

momentum
    Free Member

I've got a lakeland terrier and she's happy in my rucksack when cycling around the place in London. Still a bit young to start taking her mountain biking, but my plan is to stick her in the camelback for sections of longer rides.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Took my JR possibly crossed with a beagle were not so sure out yesterday in the peaks , you have to go slow/ wait on the downhills and flats though, did about 10 miles but he bonked right at the end poor lad so i walked the last 1/2 mile . He was a hungry boy when i got home i tell you.

Not so sure about putting a dog in a rucksack , if you crash your going to hurt it

ourmaninthenorth

I know a couple of ladies who took their road tandem over Jacob's Ladder (from Edlae side) recently with their JRT in a Carry Freedom bArk trailer attached to it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Jack Russell advice required…..’ is closed to new replies.