Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • J E James, Any Good.
  • Rochey
    Free Member

I’m thinking of buying a pair of wheels from them but dont know what they are like.

Have you used them, good or bad?

Cheers

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yup good outfit.

Blackhound

Got some tyres this week in less than 48 hours. SO happy with that – especially at the price.

martymac

bought a few bits and pieces off em, no problems at all.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Yep, good solid company, been around for ages.
    Bought loads from them over the years.

creaser
    Free Member

Stay away that’s my advice

john_drummer
    Free Member

they used to have quite a poor reputation. but that was years ago, perhaps they heard about it & did something about it

Mintman
    Free Member

Bought a pair of wheels from them – took longer to arrive than i hoped but it was something to do with needing to be ordered in especially (or something a bit confusing along those lines). Either way they arrived in a reasonable time and no other snags – would use them again.

DezB
    Free Member

Yep, good with returns too. Posted something back Tues and the refund was being processed Weds.
    Stock levels on the website seem prtty accurate these days too.

Pook

It’s my lbs

Mackem

Very good, tend to stock lots of strange odds and sods, once posted me something for nowt as it was cheaper/easier than processing a new card payment.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

If you’re female, don’t bother going in to their shops, they’re not interested!

Flapjack
    Free Member

Ordered a freehub off them last week, the wrong one turned up (photo wrong on their website), phoned up to tell them and they emailed me a freepost label to send it back with. Refund gone into Paypal account today, so nothing to worry about if are considering purchasing from them.

fizzicist
    Free Member

Mail order is ok. Their in store price match guarantee is bollocks as they never have anything in stock…

Kryton57

Only one experience, and that was bad. 6 weeks to sort a warranty replacement castelli jersey, and them only a credit because they refused to send a 2013 top in replacement for a 2012 out of stock top. No proactive communication either – we had to email them.

I spent the cash in Evans instead.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Good mail order experience and customer service in Sheffield shop. But unbelievably poor in the chesterfield shop. Was so bad i vowed never to use them ever again!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Anyone got a code?

rbrstr
    Free Member

Only bad experiences here. stopped using them a long time ago

thefaller
    Free Member

Brought loads of stuff off them and always found them great.

porlus
    Free Member

Sheffield shop, they were one of the only local stockists at the time when i got my kuota road bike. Bought the frame from them. Lobbed in carbon stem for free as i bought monococ carbon handle bars from them. Decided to get chorus groupset off them and they sold me the carbon chorus groupset for the same price as the alloy chorus groupset. Think it was a saving of around 300 quiz or so. Zero complaints.

spacemonkey

As above, had a lesser reputation 2-3 yrs ago but seem to have improved on all counts since. Yes they’re cheap, but some items aren’t boxed and IME may not be 100% genuine.

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

This week has sold J E James to me as my number one choice from now on! Ordered twice from CRC once on Saturday and then Sunday, ordered from Wiggle Saturday and used Buy It Now on Ebay on some well known shop sellers Friday, bit’s for a build I’m doing.

Then Monday I realise I have forgotten tyres, what’s this, £14.99 for conty 29er race kings. 2 please! Here Wednesday morning by DPD and regular texts from J E James about the status of my order, Wednesday our roads round here were trecherous…

And the reason I like them most, well It’s Thursday night and I’m yet to see any CRC, Wiggle, Ebay orders!

gmex619
    Free Member

Can’t fault JEJames.

Sheffield branch let me try out a few bikes without any problems.

Rotherham don’t let you try due to thefts and one of the managers is a bit of a prat. In general brilliant store like Sheffield too.

Were able to help me with most of my questions.

bigblackshed

I’ve had good experiences with them. Their website is a bit of a mess. Could do with a proper menu, it’s a pain to navigate through. Same as Leisure Lakes website. Awful to use.

deviant
    Free Member

Ordered a few bit and pieces over the years, no problems.

To be fair i’ve never had a problem with Merlin, On-One or Chain Reaction either.

Harry_the_Spider

but some items aren’t boxed and IME may not be 100% genuine.

That is some accusation! Stuff from CRC doesn’t come boxed either.

I’ve used JE a couple of times recently without issue.

Tracey

Ive use the Rotherham branch for years and have never had a problem.

ross980
    Free Member

I ordered a mech hanger that didn’t get dispatched for over a week despite showing in stock. I rang to speak to someone who appologised, found the item himself and posted it first class recorded. Not ideal but these things happen and they did their best to resolve. That was quite a few years ago mind.

Recently ordered a pair of GP4000s plus a couple of tubes, cheapest place I could find and quick delivery via courier.

EDIT: Would use again. But never had any issue with CRC, Merlin, Wiggle or Evans either – so it comes down to price (or highest % cashback if the same price)

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If you’re female interested in spending some money, don’t bother going in to their shops, they’re not interested

FTFY

More than once I’ve tried to buy a bike from there (Chesterfield), but I’ve never felt welcome or valued as a customer and EVERY TIME I’ve had to go and ask for help rather than being offered help. Not pleasant experiences.

To balance this out, I have ordered from their website before now and have no complaints. Quite the opposite in fact. I bought some Revelations and had some questions about them. The mail order chap on the end of the telephone couldn’t be more friendly and helpful. Maybe there’s just something in the water at Chesterfield.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

2 experiences with them. First was bad. Ordered a bike from them they had at a good price. All paid for, confirmation email received as expected. Heard nothing for a week. Gave them a call to ask when I could expect to receive it. Waited on the phone as I got passed from the shop floor to the warehouse back to the shop floor and finally back to the warehouse. Spoke to someone in the warehouse then checked my order and said it was due to be dispatched and would I hold for 2 minutes so he could go and double check. Waited 5 minutes at which point they hung up on me.

Re-called them, got through to shop floor explained what had happened and that I was a bit annoyed being on the phone for the best part of 20 minutes with still no information. He didn’t apologies and just said “we might be having phone line problems”. Eventually he explained that the ordered had been received (no sh!t) and it would be dispatched immediately.

Waited another 4 days, nothing. Called back again to find out what was going on when they told me they didn’t actually have the bike in stock but might be able to get one from the supplier. Again no real apology just a matter of fact explanation. I cancelled the order and asked when I would received my refund, they advised it would be done immediately and would show in my bank account within 48hrs. 1 week later after a strongly worded email to store manager I received my refund and an apology.

Vowed never to use them again but ordered some very cheap inner tubes from them a couple of weeks ago. They arrived in 3 days which is basically what I expect and would have liked when I ordered a 2.5k bike from them.

jfletch
    Free Member

I’ve found in the shops that unless you are spending £1k + on a complete new bike or are a cliquey LBS chum then they look down their nose at you.

Never ordered online as they are rarely the cheapest and when they are the don’t have stock.

andrewh
    Free Member

they are the don’t have stock

This.
    Whatever I’m looking for they come up cheapest on the google, but every single item is either out of stock or more commonly that price is only for odd sizes, for instance size 1 and 17 shoes would be £5 and all other sizes £200, given up clicking on any links to them from google.

TheStationer
    Free Member

Great Service For me ! Ordered a Madison hammerhead sledge online with them at 9.30pm sunday night and was out sledging on it at 10am tuesday
    now that is service considering the country is covered in snow !!! 😆

AngusWells

One hundred quid for a sledge. Blimey, can you do the Cresta Run on it?

cheers_drive

I’ve had good service from them – recently returned 3 years old Sram shifters and they dealt with Fisher and got me a replacement in a week.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve found in the shops that unless you are spending £1k + on a complete new bike or are a cliquey LBS chum then they look down their nose at you.

What’s always puzzled me is how do they know just by looking at you? I’ve gone in there with bigger budgets than £1k to spend and no one seems bothered. I ask for help and still no enthusiasm. I can’t always be unlucky enough to go in when someone’s having a bad day, can I??

TheStationer
    Free Member

Angus …. Sledge for life ! Fed up buying 9.99 plastic ones that break every five minutes ! 😉

muzzle
    Free Member

I’ve posted this before, but seeing as you asked:

I’ll never go back to JE James in Sheffield after my experience looking for a bike for my 5 year-old son. The woman who served us couldn’t have been less helpful if she’d tried.

I had to ask her if she could possibly bother to get the bike off the display so he could sit on it, which she did after rolling her eyes like it was all too much trouble. Then, when the seat was a bit too low I asked her if she would mind adjusting it so he could try it for size. She sighed loudly and went to get a spanner, which she then gave to ME to make the adjustment.

Anyway, as soon as he’d sat on it and was off looking at another one (as 5 year-olds do), she immediately dropped the seat and put it back on the display and walked away. My son inevitably came back wanting to sit on the bike again, at which point we decided we’d had enough of being treated like an annoyance and took a tearful little boy out of the shop to look elsewhere.

I genuinely don’t think I’ve ever been made to feel so angry at customer ‘service’ in my life before.

blurty

The mail roder website is a bit crap IMO. The stuff seems to arrive Ok once ordered though. I’ve found the type of things I tend to order are just as cheap at Merlin etc, so given the rubbish website I don’t bother with JE J.

The shop at Rotherham has some really good bargains though, especially posh roadie gear. If i’m in the area I always call in and find myself parted from some loot

Rochey
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for there advice, Ill go ahead and order the wheels 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘J E James, Any Good.’ is closed to new replies.