Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Ivor or Thomas?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Discuss.

Lifer
    Free Member

Dragons rule, so Ivor.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

nbt

Thomas all the way for me. Ivor is ok as a quick distraction but doesn’t offer complete milieu of Sodor 🙂

godzilla
    Free Member

Thomas but in team James, gotta love that naughty red train.

ton

Thomas, my lads middle name.

racefaceec90

easy

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDWk0BCeblQ[/video]

brakes
    Free Member

Chuggington

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ivor is the living personification of a true working class hero and icon of the people and the proletariat where as Thomas is about a pen pushing middle management Cameron like aspirational tory used to keep the masses in their place.

or one, these trains perform tasks dictated by their imperious, little white boss, Sir Topham Hatt (also known as The Fat Controller), whose attire of a top hat, tuxedo and big round belly is just a little too obvious. Basically, he’s the Monopoly dictator of their funky little island. Hatt orders the trains to do everything from hauling freight to carrying passengers to running whatever random errand he wants done, whenever he wants it done – regardless of their pre-existing schedules.

Inevitably, the trains get in a fight with or pick on one another (or generally mess up whatever job they are supposed to be doing) until Hatt has to scold one of them about being a “really useful engine”, because their sole utility in life is their ability to satisfy his whims. Yeah, because I want to teach my kid to admire a controlling autocrat.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/22/thomas-the-tank-engine-children-parents?CMP=twt_gu

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Ivor for me. The Rev did preach too much IMHO.

Nobby

Thomas is about a pen pushing middle management Cameron like aspirational tory used to keep the masses in their place.

Nonsense, they were all scousers. 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

Ivor together with Jones the Steam, definitely.

HughStew

Oliver Postgate or Ringo Starr – no contest.
    Ivor all the way.

igm

Ivor

dbcooper
    Free Member

We (my daughters and I) are big Ivor fans, which pisses my husband off because he hates the welsh. But admits a grudging happiness whilst watching any episodes..

aracer
    Free Member

“when the good engines pump out white smoke and the bad engines pump out black smoke – and they are all pumping out smoke – it’s not hard to make the leap into the race territory.”

only if you’re desperately trying to be offended 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Those who watch the Big Bang Theory may know of the period during which Howard manages to turn absolutely any conversation in to a mention of how he went to space.

This is how I see Junky, able to make absolutely any topic political!

😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Thomas. My eldest son watched nothing else when he was a kid.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I called my boy Thomas, but he is wearing Ivor the Engine socks today, with little dragons on.

Pigface
    Free Member

Ivor for the win

lemonysam
    Free Member

Ivor, no question. For a number of reasons but perhaps chief amongst them the fact that it had moments where it was truly beautiful, a real visual treat.

brakes
    Free Member

psssshhhhhhhttttiiiikkkkuuuuffffffffffffff

igm

Yeah. But Ivor is just betterer aracer.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Ivor on telly, Thomas in the books.

The Thomas drawings were pretty good in some of the nicher books-

ThePinkster

Got to be Ivor, there’s no comparison.

😆 @ Junky’s analysis of it though.

WackoAK
    Free Member

Ivor, for the reasons JY quoted 🙂

convert

Ivor.Disappointed to google that it was made in a cow shed in Kent, not deep in the valleys!

ninfan
    Free Member

My heart was stolen from the moment Postgade described it as the top left hand corner of Wales!

such wonderful moments – recovering the sheep from the snow drift, Ivor singing with the choir, Idris sleeping in the firebox, wonderful, just wonderful

Nobby

😆 @ CFH – the thought had crossed my mind…

Stoner
    Free Member

Skarloey & Rheneas

just because they’re the coolest names ever.

ton

will.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTQVypkQlww[/video]

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

Old thomas or new Thomas? The new stuff is all a bit plasticky and modern. Loved the old original books. But have a soft spot for Ivor too.

tang
    Free Member

Watch Ivor, read the old books. The good Rev Audry was a vicar round this way and his old parish church paid tribute when they restored some windows.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/ssvuYE]Untitled[/url] by tangwyn, on Flickr

Pook

The new Thomas stuff is awful. The old books are ace however, and the old TV stuff pretty true to them

pedropete

Old Thomas on vinyl narrated by Johnny Morris, diggedy-di, diggedy- da, diggedy-di, diggedy-da

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETfiUYij5UE[/video]

Nipper99
    Free Member

Ivor all the way – Jones the Steam and Idris the dragon.

Nipper99
    Free Member

@ dbcooper – your husband sounds like a right charmer.

mogrim

Ivor, any series with a singing dragon is a winner in my book.

neilthewheel

When I was a little lad I loved the rev Audrey books but we never went on about Thomas. He was a bit part player. Things went steeply downhill when he came to the fore. The old illustrations were marvellous.
    Ivor was cool too… like Under Milk Wood on acid.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Ivor or Thomas?’ is closed to new replies.