Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • I've reached that time of life…yes, a "what lawnmower" question
  • ourmaninthenorth

Finally, I have acquired a house with a garden. I also seem to acquired neighbours who are keen mowers of grass.

Feeling the pressure to keep up with the Joneses, I’m not sure my inherited third hand Flymo is going to permit me to reach the required standards.

So, what strip-rolling, oil spilling petrol mower?

crankboy
    Free Member

Leave yours uncut. Tell your neighbours you’d like to cut it but can’t be bothered and like dandelions anyway. you should find that they are keen to cut it for you.

coffeeking
    Free Member

pedalhead
    Free Member

Honda

Stoner
    Free Member

Im just about to get one of these for our new 600 sq m lawn. Spent most of the weekend researching online.

http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/acatalog/IBEA-55049HM-SELF-PROPELLED-REAR-ROLLER-LAWNMOWER.html

too many reports of poor build quality on mountfields. Honda’s too expensive for similar specification and size (c.£1,200 as opposed to c.£700). Sufficient warranties and a handy feature with a deck wash port. And I prefer Honda engines over briggs and stratton. And I dont like the look of hayters although my dad has one and gets on well with his.

EDIT for the rough ground rather conveniently my neighbours has just got 4 sheep. Easy!

cinnamon_girl

Mine’s a nature reserve!

joolsburger
    Free Member

This

http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/acatalog/THE_HANDY_TH-HMR_TRADITIONAL_HAND_MOWER.html

I have a push mower and it’s remarkably good, no hassle and it’s another 1/2 hours excercise.

ourmaninthenorth

Briggs & Stratton – gets my FIL all misty eyed about the cememnt mixer used to build his house. Ironic, given he didn’t do any of the work.

Hayter – my father has one. Had it 15-20 years. V good and does stripes, but the lawn was so big it used to take hours to cut (he should have stuck with the Wheelhorse ride-on he still has in the garage).

My parents now mainly use the sheep for grass trimming duties.

My lawn is rather smaller than Stoner’s, so nothing so fancy will be coming my way.

binners

You’re in Wigan now aren’t you fella. Best to fit in with the locals mate

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

If your lawn is flat then as already said pushmower all thw way. There are some really nice ones out there. Sadly two dogs, two kids and four chickens mean i can’t use one.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Old (older than me!) Ransomes Ajax push mower. Built to last, built for real men!

monksie
    Free Member

“Spent most of the weekend researching online.”

You party animal, you!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

We’ve used Hondas at Moonter Towers for the last 30 years. We have a lot of grass to mow. They’ve been very reliable, always start first time and stand a lot of abuse.

Its worth looking at local authority plant dispersal sales. I picked up a £3.5k Ransomes Matador cylinder mower for £40. It must have been used for a bowling / putting green or cricket crease. It made a great job, but our lawns were just a bit too mossy for it.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

If your lawn is flat then as already said pushmower all thw way. There are some really nice ones out there. Sadly two dogs, two kids and four chickens mean i can’t use one.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I pay two lads who work for the council to do my lawns. £10 a pop once a week April-November. **** mowing lawns

Stoner
    Free Member

well my plans on an IBEA have gone for a burton: none in stock. Looks like Im getting a honda 19″ instead…

boblo
    Free Member

Have a look for KAAZ.. Japanese made copies of the pre plastic Nondas. Same design with an ally deck and a Nonda engine. They do self propelled and roller ones. Brilliant.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

My dad used to have an ATCO mower. Are they still around? I loved it so much.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I’ve got a Honda and an Atco, push along things. The Honda is wonderful, starts easily even after being stored all winter. The Atco is a lovely piece of historic lawn mowing equipment, and capable of some stunning stripes, but is otherwise a pain in the arse to live with. The main problem is that it just can’t deal with grass that’s more than a few days tall, so I used to have to mow the lawn at least twice a week. Hence why I bought the Honda, and the Atco hasn’t been used since.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

some stunning stripes

Tick. Yay!

otherwise a pain in the arse to live with

Double tick. Booo!

That’s how I remember it. Used to take an age to get started but once it did…zoom.

ourmaninthenorth

Is there nothing people on this site don’t know about?

flip
    Free Member

I use mine everyday for my business, Honda everytime, never let me down 😉

matthewjb
    Free Member

I’ve got a baby Honda Izy.

Starts every time and I got a powered one as the garden is on a slope.

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve some Italian thing. Bought it about 12 years ago. It gets left out in the snow and rain all the time. Usually needs a quick polish of the HT lead after winter to get the rust off, couple of tugs and it’s off! Just like me.

It has been absolutely faultless. Bought it off ebay, brand new for about 50 quid after killing the third flymo. Get one of those, whatever it is.

boblo
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth – Member
    Is there nothing people on this site don’t know about?

Yeah, mainly mountainbiking 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

My Dad gave me his Honda mower when he moved to a small place. No problems and never serviced – should I service it?

boblo
    Free Member

Change the oil every now and again (assuming 4s).

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘I've reached that time of life…yes, a "what lawnmower" question’ is closed to new replies.