Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • I've never had a road bike, what should I get for around £600
  • mountainchub
    Free Member

I'm doing a works charity cycle ride from Glasgow to London via our offices in Manchester and Birmingham and it turns out my work have a cycle to work scheme (rubs hands). So I've never owned a road bike before because in my younger years it was a bit jey; but since growing up I've often considered getting one and I'm now thinking this would be an ideal opportunity for me to get out a bit more training too 😀

Any ideas as to what I should get for about £600? I was thinking a Specialized Allez and I also saw a Trek 1.2C but no idea really.

Cheers
    Dan

Finchie85
    Free Member

I've just bought a Trek 1.2 for a bit of training to increase my endurance and got it on the cycle to work scheme and i think its great. Really light and it eats the miles. It does take a bit of getting used to the seating position compared to a mountain bike.

I was in the same frame of mind as you were completely slating road bikers and saying i would never do it. I since went to the alps and after being destroyed up every hill by road mtbers that are also road bikers i took the plunge.

I'd definitely vouch for the Trek, great bike.

grim168
    Free Member
    marco
    Free Member

I have a Giant FCR 2. its based on the Defy 2 road bike but with flat bars and triple ring. Great for road riding and very comfy

slowjo
    Free Member

If not the Boardman how about the Merida 901? Both are pretty good.

mountainchub
    Free Member

Thanks Finchie, yep I've been there and watched as road riding MTBers flew past me on climbs – it's very upsetting. I'll check out the Trek this week…

I haven't really looked at Boardman bikes, but will check em out thanks Grim!

Cheers Marco I'll check out the Giant this week too!

Ta Dan

poppa
    Free Member

The Boardman will be about the best value off the peg bike you will be able to get for £650, but Halfords service and set-up can be poor depending on which store you buy from.

mogrim

I bought a Decathlon BTwin Sport 2, http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/sport-2-51-63-69567479/

Nothing special, but seemed reasonable value, and more than good enough for the training rides I plan to use it for.

RichPenny
    Free Member

You will want one that fits. I tested one frame, nominal 54cm size. It was agony after 25 miles. The bike I bought is a nominal 53cm, and fits perfectly. If you have a friendly LBS, try and demo one or have a go on a friends to see what you'll need. For £600, they're all going to be good bikes, the fit will be the most important thing.

iggs
    Free Member

In terms of spec for £650 the boardman comp will probably be your best bet. I brought one 18 months ago and love it. Halfords ate also pretty good to buy through on the cycle to work scheme from what I understand

problem is that my experience of halfords advice, expertise and post sale service has been shocking! This is reiemforced by everything I hear from other people

so

firstly find out who your work will let you buy from through the scheme, different companies have different policies on this. Once you know this info you will know if your choices are limited or not

boardman comp is recommended as long as you have an alternative bike shop to use for servicing etc

ian

iggs
    Free Member

Sorry, also forgot to +1 on the fit being more important than spec

TheFopster
    Free Member

I can also vouch for Spesh Allez. Got mine as first road bike in years and it's been great. Amazing how quickly miles slip by compared to an MTB, and very light compared to my old steel framed steed of years gone by…

Junkyard
    Free Member

second hand full carbon road bike or a perhaps a time tial set up 👿

EDIT: Try them they take a bit of getting used to. Fit is also a personal thing to some degree. I ride a 56 cm despite being only 5 10 – really this is for 6 foot + but I find it suits me better than smaller frames which dont feel right. Remember experts will say all sorts but only you can decide. Look at Michale jordan running style for example – not like all pro riders use same sized frame or gearing is it

IGGS a time trial bike or full carbon [imho] would be rather uncomfortable for anewbie hence the devil sign

iggs
    Free Member

junkyard – the c2w scheme doesnt work for 2nd hand bikes

lyons
    Free Member

I recenlty had a look at some of the Orbea range – they seem very good. The 600 pound one is about half a pound lighter than the 800 pound spesh allez…. It's whaat I would buy for that money

llama

First time on a road bike they will all feel (a) wrong (b) fast (c) frightening.

Fit is all very well but you have to overcome a, b, c before you know what suits you, and that doesn't happen on a quick ride arounf the car park.

I got a boardman comp just cos it was bike2work and thats what they had there and then. It was OK for about 2000 abusive all weather miles then needed new wheels, BB, headset, chain, cassette etc. So what you would expect really. Now I know what I like I would be more selective, but I wouldn't rule out another boardman.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I'd vote for the Merida 901, mine's lovely.

poppa
    Free Member

And the Boardman is 1.2lbs lighter than the £800 Spesh Allez. Probably doesn't make much difference unless you weigh 9 stone yourself though.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I got a boardman comp just cos it was bike2work and thats what they had there and then. It was OK for about 2000 abusive all weather miles then needed new wheels, BB, headset, chain, cassette etc. So what you would expect really. Now I know what I like I would be more selective, but I wouldn't rule out another boardman.

Only 2000 miles? Did you do no maintenance?

I've changed chain and cassette on my Trek 1200, oh and brake pads. It's done probably over 6000 miles. I have mudguards – apparently they make a bit of a difference to maintenance, but even so, all that stuff breaking in such a small amount of riding is shocking?

For what it's worth, I very much like my Trek 1200 (Trek 1.2 now), although back when I got mine it came with better shifters (Tiagra), which I much prefer to the Sora ones. I'd look at the boardman though, just cos they look quite so good value.

I'd only buy something that fits mudguards as a first road bike, as then you can ride through the winter, or re-use it as a commuter without having to get a wet arse. It is also better for group rides (you don't spray crap in the eyes of the guy behind), and likely to be a bit more comfortable a type of first drop bar bike than a close clearance racing bike.

Joe

justme
    Free Member

2nd the giant as marco above very difficult to get better value for money g

MikeWW
    Free Member

Bought a road bike last July and it has been great. Fitness levels have improved a lot and definitely getting quicker. I decided to buy fairly locally and ended up at one of the Specialized Concept Stores. They were good at sorting out the size( I would have bought one that was too large)so would recommend an LBS. Happened to buy a Specialized Allez but any of the main brands will be fine-just make sure you like the look of it. Personally I would stay away from flat bars. Would be fine for commuting but they don't really fit for much else and limits your options in terms of club riding

adey205
    Free Member

count me in as well for the merida 901.
    damn good bike for the money!!! eats the miles up.
    600 notes well spent. 😀

Ed2001
    Free Member

If you are going to ride from Glasgow to London I would really consider a bike that you can fit mudgaurds to and not race blades because they're shit. Some of the bikes recommended are great but not ideal for what you intend to do, they are bikes for racing not very long steady rides in the great British weather. Go for comfort and practicality. An audax/light tourer would be far better from a proper decent bike shop imo.

al_f
    Free Member

Slightly OT but out of interest, what would people recommend to blow the whole £1000 Cycle To Work budget on a road bike?

Ed2001
    Free Member

It depends what you want to do race? tour? commute? club rides? pose? train?

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

What height are you? I have a Specialized Roubaix comp that I would consider parting with for £700 size XL

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I got a Trek 1.5 last year and compared to the Specialized Allez at the same price, it was lighter and had better wheels but cheaper shifters and cranks. I'd always go for the lighter build with better wheels if there's a difference.

The guy in the shop took the time to let me try different sizes and whilst I'd had a 54cm Giant previously that felt uncomfortable horrible, I ended up with a 56cm and I'm 5ft 10. It fits really well.

This year's Trek frames aren't as good as last years though, so I'd probably look at a Giant Defy or the Specialized this year. Crud Race guards will fit any frame so long as the tyres aren't too wide.

2000 miles sounds like 2000 neglected miles 😉 Any bike of any price will self destruct well before it should if its not looked after. The kit at a given price point will be similar on any bike regardless of brand name.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Just a thought. Maybe not important but just consider the transmission. the lower models in the range of bikes from the big boys may still be running 8 speed when 10 is common on the road. Not a big issue but as time goes by you may wish to be more up to date especially when it comes to replacing bits and the choice of decent 8 speed stuff is had to find. Go 9 at least.

Philby

Try as many brands as you can and get a test ride where possible – some are more race orientated and others more for sportives and will give you a slightly more relaxed price. As highlighted above fit is all important and sizes slightly differ between manufacturers.

Other brands to consider are Cube, Bianchi and Felt.

And don't forget that road riding may also lead to extra expenditure on pedals, shoes, lycra shorts, tops etc.

mountainchub
    Free Member

Cool lots to look at folks! Many thanks
    Let the testing and buying commence!!! 😀

Yep I'll give the TT a miss though Junkyard LOL 👿

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘I've never had a road bike, what should I get for around £600’ is closed to new replies.