Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • I've never dropped my seatpost
  • GW
    Free Member

Stevo – “bouncing boy” Barlow was also a Scottish junior DH champ many, many moons ago too.

stevomcd
    Free Member

GW – BMX as well, right?

He came out here for a week and rode with us. Far and away the best rider we’ve had!

GW
    Free Member

Aye, he’s pretty good on a BMX and roadbike too.
    one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet, just loves riding, always has a smile on his face! 😀

portlyone

I think you’ll find that if you can drop the saddle with a simple flick of the thumb you’ll take advantage of it more and more.

pitduck
    Free Member

i`ve never dropped my phone,or my keys.(well maybe my keys but only once mind)

mamadirt
    Free Member

I’ve never dropped my post ‘cos I only ever have 4″ showing anyway 😕

steve_b77
    Free Member

I got a Joplin when they were first released and loved it.

I got another one (new frame) last winter in the CRC sale and I wouldn’t be without it on my full suss. An added bonus is it fits my HT too, if I ever feel that way inclined 😆

Northwind

bigthunder – Member

If ya want to be betterer then put 100quid into a dirtschool day.

And Andy’ll tell you to drop your seatpost.

winterfold
    Free Member

I was faffing with dropping then putting it back up then decided to leave it down and just be slow and chilled about going uphill and not bother if I was first or last in my group uphill if I was able to cane it on the fun bits.

If I want to go up hills fast then I’ll get the road bike out.

That said, reverbs look ace

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I don’t own a uppy downie post, but I tried a reverb in Molini. Did it make a difference to my riding?

Consider this: I’m not a racer (no desire, no pace). At the top of each decent the guide says “ok what we have coming up” or one of the fellas says “last one to the bottom is a rotton egg” or whatever. the point is there always seems to be a point at the top to manually drop the seat if it’s required.
    At the bottom however it’s a different story: at the bottom you are looking up the next technical climb with a whole bunch of kinetic energy which you want to keep going the make the climb as easy as possible, but the seat is slammed coz you just dropped a super tech section. so you lose grip and spin out when you want weight on the rear tyre and the best pedaling position.

THIS is when the remote reverb comes into it’s own. you simply keep pedalling, bounce the post back to the optimum pedalling position & crank the climb.

& thats why I’m saving up for a reverb.

HTH

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 crotchrocket

Much more useful for raising the seatpost than dropping it. I was sceptical when I first heard of them, half persuaded by owning a KSi900 and now a total convert after buying a Reverb.

steve_b77
    Free Member

You know what you’re right, my mate said the exact same thing last week at Llandegla.

After the new red/black descent the trail points back up hill pretty quickly, all I did was press the remote and the saddle came back up, he had to get off and raise his manually.

By which time I’d gained a fair few meters on him and used my momentum to start the climb, the best bit? Dismounting at the top to sit on the top tube and look back waiting for him to arrive 😀

messiah
    Free Member

Much more useful for raising the seatpost than dropping it.

+1 This

I’m a recent convert to Reverb-ness and would not go back… I now have two Reverbs ❗ . My local forest is very techy with short sharp decents and climbs; for years I’ve done the drop the post an inch and use skill/luck to get by on the descents and knee-pain/effort on the climbs. Or, stop/start to raise and lower the post to make the most of the descents and climbs… but this means a lot of stops in a ride. For the big mountains I figured it wasn’t worth getting an uppy/downy as you only raise and lower the once right ❓

In the local forest with the Reverb I can really enjoy the descents with saddle dropped and then role right into the climbs with a stab of the thumb – absolute bliss as at the bottom of some of the steep river crossings there is actually nowhere to stop and raise the saddle before the techy climb starts… the Reverb is awesome for these sections (as is a HammerSchmidt – but thats another topic). Up in the mountains I also use the Reverb all the time… not on the climbs obviously… but all the way down the descents I can change the saddle height and rest on the pedally bits with the saddle up, and then slam it down for the gnar.

I love my Reverbs, there is no going back.

wwaswas

Tried a seatpost drop today. I’d already fallen off once so didn’t feel I had much to lose

Things I noticed;

1) I seem to use the saddle to push against my thighs when cornering. The bike leans over far more without the ability to do this when the saddle is lower.

2) I sit down and pedal on the straights more than I thought. Standing up the whole time was ‘odd’

3) climbings done a bit like with the singlespeed – standing up.

4) I didn’t fall off again – although this may just have been brief lapse in mediocrity on my part

So, I may try it again, i think. My carbon post may regret it though.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘I've never dropped my seatpost’ is closed to new replies.