Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • I've never been to the Lake District – recommend where to stay?
  • tyger
    Free Member

I’ve heard that it’s very beautiful so am planning a long weekend in September. Wife can’t cycle any hard trails due to brittle bones but would love some gentle riding trails. Any recommendations? B and B or Hotel? Best places to eat and drink? Many thanks from a south coaster LOL 🙂

footflaps

B&B in Ambleside would be a good place to start. Quite central, lot’s of pubs and restaurants.

djglover
    Free Member

http://drunkenduckinn.co.uk/ for me everytime. My parents are very fond of http://www.seatollerhouse.co.uk/

catsplums
    Free Member

I stayed at a lovely place from lakelandlovers called the swallows nest I think fairly close to the drunken duck, really lovely but didn’t take a bike so not sure of provisions for locking them up securely.

seavers
    Free Member

I have stayed at The Boundary, it’s quite a stylish little place but very friendly and accommodating. There are good deals to be had online too rather than just calling them. They are a short walk out of Ambleside.

faz083
    Free Member

i stayed in St Johns in the Vale. Lovely central access to northern and central/eastern fells, helvellyn, blencathra etc.

plumber
    Free Member

I like Lucy 4 for some ok food. That was some years ago though

marcus7
    Free Member

+1 for ambleside, I know some don’t like it but its a good start position to get to other places.

lapierrelady

Borrowdale is the most beautiful IMO…always stay at Borrowdale YHA (deep in the valley), there is also camping on the river just before it. The Lakes are usually very warm at this time of year if you fancy a dip.

tyger
    Free Member

Many thanks – any pics to get the feel of the place?

grantway
    Free Member

Not in a Tent

Trekster
    Cougar

B&B in Ambleside would be a good place to start. Quite central, lot’s of pubs and restaurants.

If you find yourself in Ambleside, go to Zeff’s. It’s one of my favouritest restaurants in the country.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Heres a picture of Ambleside I took on saturday, it might give you a feel for the place. Hopefully in September it’ll be a bit quieter.

samuri
    Free Member

Ambleside is a good place to start. Good luck on the gentle riding trails though. You realise the lake district is quite hilly? 😉
    It does get a bit busy in summer but it’s still OK.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Compston House in Ambleside.

http://www.compstonhouse.co.uk/

Pridds

Lots of accommodation around. I would have a look on tripadvisor for the Lakes to get more opinions.
    In terms of easier trails there is some great stuff in Grizedale forest that suits a lot of abilities and also the disused railway in Keswick (starts at the leisure centre) is a really nice flattish cycle.

Kevevs
    Free Member

4 of us stayed in Grasmere YHA for a few days in June, pished it down the whole time, still thoroughly recommended cos you get to chat to different bods each day out on their own outdoors shenanigans, makes it more of a shared experience. It’s simple and cheap, what do you want? you’r only going to be there to sleep and eat brekkie!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘I've never been to the Lake District – recommend where to stay?’ is closed to new replies.