Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • I've just seen a Mutant
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A Melanistic Mutant, to be precise.

One of these;

Stunning green/black plumage. I wonder if it tastes any different to a normal pheasant.

slugwash
    Free Member

I pass several fields with predomianantly black pheasants in them on the ride to work. I've often wondered why they were black and why they'd been there for several years, without all being shot. I guess the landowner breeds that kind of bird then? One Friday couple of weeks ago the gates to the fields all got covered with orange mesh netting. I guessed that they were having a shoot and didn't want the birds spilling out onto the road as they often do. The netting was gone by Monday.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

damn muties!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    derek_starship
    Free Member

Are pictures of big black cocks allowed on STW?

Drac

Seem very common these days far more then when I first started getting into shooting and the answer is no.

Are pictures of big black cocks allowed on STW?

Seems quite proud too.

uplink
    Free Member

With the possible exception of chickens, pheasants are probably the most stupid birds you'll ever come across

swamp_boy

Yep, stupid – but tasty.

Though the way they are reared and managed isn't very clever either.

Pheasants don't fly much naturally, but its not the done thing to shoot one that walks out of the woods. Birds that fly get shot, those that walk survive. Even though most woods get restocked each year the breeding pool must be birds with a tendency to walk rather than fly.

So the evolution of the pheasant is being accelerated towards a bird that walks, driven by people who want them to fly. Who's the stupid party in that arrangement?

CountZero

Yep, dumb as a rock. About the only other common country animal that's even less smart is a rabbit, although brown hares aren't exactly University Challenge candidates, either. I've been out for a pub ride before now and had a hare come out of a field entrance in front of me and proceed to lollop along in front of me for nearly half a mile, passing several gates, before finally going back into another field. Lovely animal, but not clever. Those black pheasants turn up from time to time, where I used to work, there was a field out the back, and a pheasant used to turn up after the bird seed I used to put out first thing in the morning. This one was a bit smarter, 'cos he got to recognise me, and would feed from my hand, but there was a beautiful black one as well, which was a lot more wary. Beautiful plumage, possibly from the fjord's… 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘I've just seen a Mutant’ is closed to new replies.