Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • I've just resigned.
  • donsimon
    Free Member

😀

scaredypants

earth’s premiership is up for grabs ?

all I need to do is beat Blair to it

(congratulations d s – what are you going to do instead?)

(edit: aren’t you self-employed?)

donsimon
    Free Member

(congratulations d s – what are you going to do instead?)

Cheers. Ain’t got a clue. 😆

Looking at setting up a business in the UK connected to the building industry importing some stuff.
    This time next year Rodney……

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Isn’t it odd how ‘resigned’ and ‘re signed’ have such different meanings all because of a space

chewkw
    Free Member

don simon – Member

Looking at setting up a business in the UK connected to the building industry importing some stuff.

Is that a good idea?

😯

binners

You’re going to be a teacher aren’t you? 😉

Well done fella. Onwards and upwards! The worlds your lobster! And many many other cliche’s. Good luck!

donsimon
    Free Member

Is that a good idea?

Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse
    Only fools
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    There’s only one way to find out. Even in the slump, there’s still a fair amount of building going on………………………. Isn’t there?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Isn’t there?

Yeah, lots 😐

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

In a word. No.

Hence why half the geotech industry that relies on it is buggering off abroad. Me included if I get the chance!

chewkw
    Free Member

Yes, agreed. No pain no gain … :mrgreen:

Just watch out for (or avoid) Mr T in his tank throwing sneaker chocolate bar at you …

donsimon
    Free Member

*Gulp!*

marsdenman
    Free Member

It is said that recession is the best time to start a business – reasoning goes that, make it work in the hard times and you’ll be prepared for the good – plenty of time to get processes & systems right…
    Start in a peak and you run the risk of running round in circles as you’ve planned the systems but, they don’t settle in well – things start to go wrong, clients let down etc….

Least, I hope that’s what it’s all about – I walked away from the day job the month before the world fell in on itself. My business now pays for itself. One day soon it might pay me… 😉

miketually
    Free Member

Sounds like a well-researched business venture. Still, you can always go into teaching if it doesn’t work out.

chewkw
    Free Member

I will do the same few months down the road as being a bureaucratic maggot is a no go in the long run. Better to install myself as the Dear Leader to step on maggots.

TimP
    Free Member

The building trade seems to be very up and down at the moment, but if it is anything to do with loft conversions you should be OK, as people seem keener on extending than buying at the moment.

donsimon
    Free Member

Sounds like a well-researched business venture.

It is actually, but thanks for your concern………. Oh! It wasn’t. 😳

allthepies
    Free Member

No building ? The bloke who sits next to me is having a right old time trying to find a builder to do some substantial house renovation works.

Lots of “sorry, booked up until next year mate” responses.

argyle
    Free Member

I resigned in feb. Freelanced for a while and now starting in awesome new job on Monday. Can’t wait, plus it’s very empowering to tell a work overlord where they can ram their job, politely of course!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Remember that while lots of people are encouraging, there are those sat behind their desks wishing they had the courage to do the same waiting to see you fail.

Best of luck! You’ll be amazed by how lucky you get when you work hard.

donsimon
    Free Member

Cheers old boy, jealousy can be soooooooooo ugly. I enjoy working hard and being challenged which is why I’m leaving teaching. 😉

Travis

I’m an Independent Product Auditor in China for the British Construction Industry, let me know if you want to check something out over here 😀

donsimon
    Free Member

Thanks Travis, but I’ve got the manufacturing base all set here in Spain for the time being. 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Presume it depends which part of the building industry and you probably know more about it than us, but I do know a lot of building/civils companies in the mire at the moment, not a field I’d have picked!

donsimon
    Free Member

Even in the mire 125,000 new homes were built in 2009, I only need about 500 of those to make a good living. 😉
    Got to be worth a punt.

MrGrim

Hope it all goes well for you. I resigned on Tuesday. Great Feeling 😀

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Make sure whatever it is has got its BBA certification or no one will spec it. It needs to be green/sustainable as well these days.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have a plasterer in at the moment, he has plenty of work on. The guy I want to do some groundwork outside is also too damn busy. I think there is work around for the right people, maybe it depends what you have to offer.

Good luck with the new venture & let us know what you are offering once you are ready.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Poles ?

billysugger
    Free Member

Construction industry dies and resurges first IME

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Construction industry dies and resurges first

Hence it is sometimes called “the economic indicator”.

Kevevs
    Free Member

easy for you to say. good luck.

footflaps

No end of building work going on in Cambridge – forget to mow your lawn for a couple of weeks and someone will build 20 flats on it!

jamestreg
    Free Member

I did the same thing about 5 weeks ago resigned from a top paying role with a major contractor in the SW and started on my own! Got fed up with all the corporate bulls..t and H&S madness, plenty of tenders and work out there. Good Luck. I’ve got no money but I feel great!! Lidls is cheap mind!

donsimon
    Free Member

Make sure whatever it is has got its BBA certification or no one will spec it. It needs to be green/sustainable as well these days.

Is BBA certification compulsory/a legal requirement? If so, from when? In a previous life selling to architects and specifiers I wasn’t once asked about BBA certificates so this is new to me. I presumed that ISO 9001 was sufficient.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

The majority of our clients insisted on BBA certificates for all the products we used or specified. Its one way of proving the the product you are using is designed to be used in the way that you are specifying.
    For example, cavity wall insulation – only some products can be used in a fully filled cavity, the BBA certificate will tell you if the insulation can be used in this way.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Good luck Don! (quitting is kind’a nice on your own terms)

donsimon
    Free Member

That still hasn’t answered the question, or maybe it has in a roundabout way.

In my time working with air conditioning, not once was I asked for a BBA certificate. It is possible that things have changed though. It looks like, from what you say, that a BBA is not obligatory.
    ISO 9001 will satisfy production methods and the quality side while the CIDEMCO will either suffice or give easy/cheap access to BBA certification. Good job we’re in the EU, you had me worried for a minute.

Thanks for all the positive words.
    Is it still raining there? 😥

mikertroid
    Free Member

Me too. Feels great!

resisted
    Free Member

Good luck don simon. I too am starting a new business, same as what I do now but am looking forward to all my hard work lining my pockets as opposed to someone else’s! Resigning Tuesday and expect the company to be wound up the same day, even if it’s not I’ve got a month’s worth of holiday owed so will be an easy notice to work!

geoffj

I did it 3 months ago. Feels really good being your own boss – bit scary too though sometimes. Good luck

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘I've just resigned.’ is closed to new replies.