Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • I've just moved to Brighton
  • sl2000

Well, Ovingdean.

After living in London for the last 20+ years I’ve finally decided to try living elsewhere and moved house last weekend. It’s the first time as an adult (I’m now 45) that I’ve moved town, so it feels like a big step.

Does anyone have any tips for me on getting out for a regular evening MTB ride?

5lab

https://brightonmtb.org/

thurs evening is the slow one to get your eye in 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

Make sure to OK it with him indoors first.

sl2000

Thanks 5lab. Took some looking on there but discovered the ride details. Leaves from near me, which is great!

@crikey – partner has approved, as long as I also manage also to do something more sociable with our boys.

5lab

there’s a bit of a hill between you and falmer, so make sure you leave plenty of time if you’re riding, however the bit after woodingdean is on a nice offroad gravel track. Hope you didn’t move down for the schools 🙂

muddy@rseguy

There is also Sussex Muddy@rse who do monthly rides across east and west Sussex and Surrey:

https://sussexmuddyarse.wordpress.com

The club forum has the ride details.

chiefgrooveguru

You have to come out this Thursday – the trails are running absolutely perfect and these conditions will not last long now the autumn is here!

sl2000

Thanks for the persuasion! I will come out this Thursday 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

Excellent. Black bike, green hat, stupid glasses, talk too much – say hello!

manmurray

Made the same move a year ago (though more Kemptown way), finally got out on a Thursday a few weeks back. Will be there this week making the most of the dryness (minty spitfire, too-wide-for-Stanmer bars, waves at chief!). See you there 🙂

Some good stuff over at Friston too, with a handy map

pictonroad

pictonroad

We can show you round the West side, Worthning, Lancing, Steyning, loads of stuff over here. Email in profile, welcome to the South Coast.

Just got in from a ride (00:42 hrs!)

I say ride but we finished on the beach via the off licence, sea is lovely and warm, had a paddle and a cold one. Perfect end to a sweltering ride.

muggomagic

Welcome to the area.
    Make sure you have a decentish light if you come along Thursday (if not you can use the contact link on the BMTB page and ask if there is one you can borrow). As you probably get about 15-20 minutes in the woods at the moment before it’s lights on.
    Should be another big turnout again this week with the forecast being good.

senorj

A friend of mine has had mtbing fun and away trips with this lot…

Cycling

brightonmtb
    Free Member

Welcome to Brighton 🙂

the website is largely being left there as a placeholder now – the Facebook page became the place people went to.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/brightonmtb/

It’s a private group but if you make a request you should get approved fairly quickly.

The regular ride details are in there and lamps are available to borrow with a request in advance.

The advice is to start with the Thursday group and see how you get on – the overall pace is ‘social’ and someone will follow you through the singletrack if you’re unfamiliar with it and make sure you know of any obstacles in advance.

There’s various ‘away days’ and trips to Wales etc but these are usually organised informally.

Squirrel

Just wanted to say I lived in Ovingdean for 30 years and my Mum’s still there 🙂

mrl

I have just moved to lewes so would it be okay if I tagged al9ng on the Thursday ride? Does it still leave from the same place as the Web link?

sl2000

Thanks @brightonmtb. I signed up to the facebook group yesterday evening and did indeed get approved within minutes. Properly looking forward to the ride now :-). Although the house moving fairies have hidden my lights :-(.

muggomagic

I have just moved to lewes so would it be okay if I tagged al9ng on the Thursday ride? Does it still leave from the same place as the Web link?

All welcome. Leaves from the Uni sports centre car park at 7 sharp so get the at least 10 minutes before for pre-ride faffing.

muggomagic

Hope you both enjoyed it and don’t have too many bruises. A damp and dark Stanmer can be quite a challenging introduction 🙂

Paceman
    Free Member

Not the dry and dusty conditions we were hoping for last night but still super fun, nice to meet you new guys too, hope you’ll be back 😀

Paceman (trying to look composed on the pinky-red full susser) 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘I've just moved to Brighton’ is closed to new replies.