• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by igm.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • I’ve just joined a union!
  • aracer
    Free Member

Which might surprise some on here 🙂

Does that officially make me a Trotskyist lefty? Do I have to vote Labour? Not really sure about the protocol with these things having never belonged to one before.

uplink
    Free Member

Welcome brother

The people’s flag is deepest red,
    It shrouded oft our martyr’d dead
    And ere their limbs grew stiff and cold,
    Their hearts’ blood dyed its ev’ry fold.

Then raise the scarlet standard high,
    Within its shade we’ll live and die,
    Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer,
    We’ll keep the red flag flying here.[/i]

chakaping
    Free Member

Don’t fret about how lefty it makes you, just enjoy the beer and sandwiches.

roper
    Free Member

Good for you.

I hope they are better than the shower of sh*t Union that I was a member of.
    When our office had a racist, sexist, bulling manager (who was finally found guilty and sacked on 6 different sack-able offences)they said they wouldn’t help. Nice.

(apologies for the moan)

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Blue collar or white collar union?

enfht
    Free Member

ha ha uplink

How much is Bob Crowe paid again?

binners

Best thing I ever did. My Employer tried to stitch me up good and proper when I’d outlived my usefulness. The ****!

I went into a disciplinary hearing where he clearly intended to sack me, accompanied by a union rep. His face dropped. He then started throwing stupid accusations at me ie: I had personal files on a company computer (pictures of my kids) which was against company policy. Utter bull**** like that.

The union rep wiped the floor with him. The upshot was he didn’t have enough for a verbal warning. So I ended up suspended on full pay for over 2 months while he dug around for increasingly desperate things to use against me. I used the time i was suspended to set up my own business, then resigned.

I’d happily pay double my union fees every month to see the look on that bastards face in that first meeting. It was a picture!

aracer
    Free Member

Blue collar or white collar union?

Prospect (google may give you a clue why I’ve just joined them if you’re feeling clever) – about as white collar as they come. Does that mean I don’t get to sit round a brazier singing The Red Flag?

willard

Watch out for brazier burns, splinters from placards and ice-picks to the ear…

igm

Prospect? Welcome comrade

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

all the best – mines were a shower of self interested muppets. waste of time, space and money.

CSFL
    Free Member

prospect you say? QQ me thinks….

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

enfht – Member

How much is Bob Crowe paid again?

Why what’s got to do with you – are you a RMT member ?

If so, I suggest that you raise at the next branch meeting – they should be able to help.

And if you’ve got any issues with the general secretary’s salary, I suggest that you move a conference resolution from your branch.

If you were asking because you were thinking of going for the job, I’ll remind you that the post doesn’t come up for re-election until 2012. And whilst was Bob Crew was re-elected unopposed last time which on the face of it suggests that you might be in with a chance, I’ll also remind you that RMT membership increased by more than a third in the first five years of Bob Crow’s leadership. So I wouldn’t reckon your chances too much.

aracer – I’m not in the least bit surprised that you’ve joined a union, it fits in very nicely with how I perceive you.
    I’d be interested to know whether Prospect know what they’ve let themselves into though ….

igm

Just to put Prospect in perspective, my MD and several of the directors including my boss are also members. It’s not the most left wing union ever.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘I’ve just joined a union!’ is closed to new replies.