• This topic has 32 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Bazz.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • I've just had to explain to my kids who Chris Eubank is…
  • Harry_the_Spider

Blimey. 25 years ago!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK2vT9YWTVg[/video]

Watching Eubank, Benn and Collins was part of my growing up.

DezB
    Free Member

Maybe who he “was”. He is a bit of an embarrassment these days!

hugo
    Free Member

This Sports Life Stories documentary about him is fantastic viewing. The bits about his relationship, including up the present day, with Nigel Benn are great. Worth a watch – as are others in the series.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ExTofhPbCc[/video]

As a Partridge fan, this, and the story behind it, made me chuckle:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGG5OhEcpOQ[/video]

deadkenny
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/eouQAx4c3MM?t=1m11s[/video]

ads678

He was great on top of the pops.

….and at thix ith thuggs with thithelia…..

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

He may appear quite comedic but he was still a bloody good fighter.

eatsdirt
    Free Member

Loved boxing then, mcguigan, Benn, Collins, , Eubank, , Bruno, prince naz, Lewis. Great era

hammerite
    Free Member

Show your kids 8 out of 10mCats Does Countdown. The Greg Davies impression of him is brilliant. In a later episode they stitch Davies up by having Eubank walk out. He actually came across quite well.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I like Eubank, mad as a box of frogs but he sticks up for his opinions whilst at the same time not taking himself to seriously when ridiculed.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I bumped into Eubank in a petrol station outside Brighton many years ago, though clearly enjoying being recognised, he came across as very cool and humble. Not like he does when confronted with a large audience and TV camera’s.
    He did have bloody great big US artic truck cab sat on the forecourt mind.
    An ex work colleague used to run the wet bikes from the beach in Brighton many years ago. Cwith turned up wanting to hire one but would walk out into the sea for fear of getting his boxer boots wet. My mate ended up carrying him out to the wet bike. Clearly didn’t occur to him that they would get wet once he was riding the bike.

I guess he has fazes and moments of clarity and complete eccentricity.

I like him, a true English gent! Our nation is far richer for characters like this.

wwaswas

I kind of went off him when he killed someone with his car and got his brother to take the rap.

binners

He drives a massive artic around doesn’t he? I like totally bonkers people like him.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

My Mum had one of his famous handraulic carpet cleaners 😉

duckman

He could take dig and would still be up there today.

scandal42
    Free Member

I like how he more or less tells his son to shut up in his post fight interviews, or he often says the complete opposite of what his son just said.

Funny bugger

jimjam
    Free Member

binners – Member

He drives a massive artic around doesn’t he? I like totally bonkers people like him.

Not after he was declared bankrupt I imagine.

Cougar

When Rik Mayall had just died, I was talking about it at work and the early-20s apprentices had no idea who he was. I went back through his repertoire trying to explain before one of them went, “oh, you mean that bloke from the Bombardier advert?!” Sometimes, I despair for the future.

ninfan
    Free Member

As someone who has grown up with a Lisp myself, I have found his confidence pretty inspirational to be honest

We were subjected to a very similar school of speech therapy, and when you have had it you understand how the enunciation and cadence of his speech is down to the controlling the Lisp.

jam-bo

I came within inches of being run over by him in the back streets of brighton about 15 years ago. true story.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Err, its called growing old. Pick anything from your generation and you’d likely get the same reaction from kids.

Show your kids 8 out of 10mCats Does Countdown. The Greg Davies impression of him is brilliant. In a later episode they stitch Davies up by having Eubank walk out.

First day out of hospital after an op and I watched that episode. Had to turn if off, was in danger of splitting scars with laughing too much.

dannyh
    Free Member

Does Chris Eubank know who he is?

First day out of hospital after an op and I watched that episode. Had to turn if off, was in danger of splitting scars with laughing too much.

I’ve been a miserable mood for months now (work-related), but watching that episode nearly made me choke on my beer on a Friday evening. Easily the funniest thing I’ve seen on telly this year.

Only Phoenix nights and Sammy the Snake have had me laughing like that when I first watched it on DVD last year.

“Have you swept the rest of that cock up yet?”

“One of the balls went over the fence, but the neighbours say we can’t have it back”.

QUOTES MAY NOT BE 100% ACCURATE

SaxonRider

I like him, a true English gent! Our nation is far richer for characters like this.

Absolutely. Being originally from Canada, I had not grown up with him, but rather saw him for the first time on a billboard in Salford when I first moved there. I wondered who the finely-dressed gentleman was, but other than to register his name in my mind, I never thought about him again.

Until I was walking down Victoria Street toward Parliament in 2007, that is, when a bloody great American artic lorry was driving around blasting its horn. When I got close, I saw it was Chris Eubank, and gave him a wave.

Glad I did, too, seeing as he was protesting UK policy in Iraq.

jools182
    Free Member

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Loved boxing then, mcguigan, Benn, Collins, , Eubank, , Bruno, prince naz, Lewis. Great era

This.

Watched Eubank rise from the small time to the big time, a fantastic fighter of his era.

firestarter
    Free Member

The charlatans album some friendly is 25 years old today too. Christ I feel old

BigDummy
    Free Member

He once bit a man’s ear off in a Youth Hostel.

Is that right?

Kryton57

I feel old

My wife was in costco yesterday and returned with 2 orthapedic pillows for £14. 😐

firestarter
    Free Member

😉

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If your kids can’t use google they deserve to remain perplexed.

Harry_the_Spider

If your kids can’t use google they deserve to remain perplexed.

In fairness to her she is only just 6 years old.

jimjam
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member

In fairness to her she is only just 6 years old.

And she doesn’t appreciate the classic pugilistic battles of the late 1990’s???? What sort of creature have you raised? Pfffffft.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

He was eyeing up my wife at Marylebone station a few weeks ago one Friday evening. He was as smartly dressed as he always is and although I obviously was going to go and have a word, I had to run and catch my train!!

I always loved watching boxing in that era – I even liked Prince Naseem when he was at his entertainingly arrogant best!

His son is pretty handy too it seems

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM_rEDg0_Ic[/video]

Bazz

I think the artic has been be down graded to a 29er these days, he nearly rode into me in to me in the lanes in Brighton a couple of months back, friendly fella though, and good choice of wheel size.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘I've just had to explain to my kids who Chris Eubank is…’ is closed to new replies.