Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • I've just had lunch on the patio…
  • MoreCashThanDash

..and I can’t honestly remember the last time I did that in the 16 years we have been here.

Nice south facing sun trap, shielded on two sides, no idea why we don’t do it more often.

Spoilt only by the fact that I’m too busy to have had a sneaky beer with it.

Anyway, I need to crack on and reclaim the front lawn from the wildflower meadow that sprang up after least weeks rain.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s not the wildflower meadow that’s the issue here, it’s the bloody Mares tail, they’ve exploded up this year, I thought I was getting a handle on them last few years!

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s not the wildflower meadow that’s the issue here, it’s the bloody Mares tail, they’ve exploded up this year, I thought I was getting a handle on them last few years!

+1

11 year old and 8 year old. £1 a bucket. Job jobbed.

legend
    Free Member

So it’s not just me fighting Mares Tail then? It’s bloody busted straight through the membrane under our gravel like it’s not even there! Gradually upping the Rosate concerntration until something gives….

globalti
    Free Member

Mare’s Tail is taking over the world, I tell you!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m just trying to turn my mangled matted waste ground into a lawn. Threw the remains of some old seed boxes from the shed on it before the rain – some of it’s come up!

Previously had had to scalp it, then mow the tops off the big shoots regularly – finer shoots are starting to come through now.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I used stuff before that seemed to work for a while, Kurtail it’s called. Tbh, I reckon the best bet is to get rid of my chipped area and turf it, doesn’t seem to like competition, and I hate the bloody chips anyway.

I’ll give that Rosate a shot in the meantime, as it’s a third of the price of Kurtail.

legend
    Free Member

Chipped area was just made about 6 months ago, so wont be going to turf there any time soon. Not sure I’m convinced by the membrane though, might have to go more substantial….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Our entire garden was overun with the stuff when we moved in.

Gallup360 (roundup / glyphosphate) made up a the dilute end of the recommended range and apply via sprayer.

Don’t go for the ‘nuke form orbit’ approach of increasing concentration. You get the immediate satisfaction of the plant appearing to die in 24h, but it kills the leaves before it has chance to be absorbed and drawn down into the roots.

funkmasterp

Dandelions here. I’m sure they could be used as weapons. They spread so far and fast 😯

tjagain

Off to the middle class thread with you. Patio indeed.

sobriety
    Free Member

Mares tail

So that’s the rat bastard triffid that seems to be outcompeting the thistles in my garden.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Mares tail?

Pfffft

Sticky willy and ground elder here.

BikePawl
    Free Member

joshvegas – Member
    Mares tail?

Pfffft

Pffft

Add in Rosebay willow herb and you’re getting close.

bearnecessities

As someone that has had serious mares tail on a plot, these were some steps that might help

1) Dig a physical barrier
    2) Inject diluted Rosate360 into it using cheapo needles from eBay
    3)Follow up with neat Rosate360, then cover for a year.
    4) Murder someone with another plot 100yrs away and assume their identity.

Hope this helps, Paula.

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

Mares tail?

Pfffft

Elder…. never ending.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘I've just had lunch on the patio…’ is closed to new replies.