Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • I've just got 4G.
  • zippykona

From the top.
    BT WiFi at work
    4G at work
    4G at home
    Virgin WiFi at home.
    I’m on o2 and very impressed. BT are officially shit!

lerk
    Free Member

Unless you have an issue with latency and then they appear to be pretty much shit hot…

cp

Yep, is very impressive. I’m on work EE and whilst i use Wi-Fi on virgin at home, I keep it on 4g wherever I can otherwise. It’s great.

nealglover
    Free Member

Network is getting better all the time too.

I’m on O2 and at my parents little village 10 miles outside York, get a steady 60 Mb connection !

Frankenstein
    Free Member

BT at work: how many devices were using it and how far away is the exchange?
    My old place in Bristol was super fast but I lived a 1 mile from the exchange.

BT are cheaper for me where I live now but I’m 6 miles away from the exchange so the speed is slow/poor.

Virgin Broadband are 73 DL and 5.4 UL. Supposed to be 70/5. Stayed with them as I’m still paying the same as I did in 2001.

Three are 75DL and 35 UL. Inside home/weak signal.

Tempted to just use the mobile only, but Virgin don’t penalise if you use tons of data via NowTv or Netflick.

iolo
    Free Member

I get around 95 down and 50 up on T mobile in Austria.
    Unlimited data for 30 euro a month.

zippykona

BT at work was just my phone. Not sure where the exchange is but we have lots of boxes near us that open reach people are always playing with.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Y’alright zippy?

Welcome to the 20th century. 😆

takisawa2

Iphone6
    38 wifi at home (on VM120mb service).
    39 4g at home

Home Pc
    94 down / 11 up on (VM120mb service through ethernet).
    If I plug my works i7 behemoth it gets pretty much the full 120mb.

I was one of the first in my old street to get VM cable BB (or NTL as it was), at a whopping 512kb !!!

zippykona

kebouy – Member
    Y’alright zippy?
    Welcome to the 20th century.

Getting colour telly next week.

Del

using the stock virgin router? by all accounts if you’re the sort to worry about connection speed this can be a severe bottleneck.

sharkbait
    Free Member

4g rocks. I’m running both EE (PAYGO data as a trial) and O2 (Tesco) and I’m about to dump O2 as it’s just pants here.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Network is getting better all the time too

Unless you’re on Vodafone.

Lucky for me I went on Three who’s 3G network outperforms Vodafone 4G. Their 4G is pretty impressive too and outperforms my Virgin wifi connection.

Drac

4G you say?

This is slow for me on EE.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Something wrong with my post for it to be deleted?

olly2097
    Free Member

lucky you. I live in a town with a population of 20k. I get no signal unless I go into the attic. On any network.

which is odd because 300m down the road I can get 4g.

I dont even live in a dip.

thank god for whats app

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yup its great isnt it ? Been on 4G with 3 for 12+ months, all I want data/calls/sms for £18 a month. Frequently better than my home BT broadband (whuch can be uograded now as fibre installed)

raincloud
    Free Member

Only 6 mins to check you 4g at home and then go to work and check it there. Beats my half he train journey every day.

nealglover
    Free Member

4G you say?
    This is slow for me in EE

Inside Westminster Abbey, lead roof ?

Drac

Something wrong with my post for it to be deleted?

No, clumsy fingers on an iPad. Sorry.

Inside Westminster Abbey, lead

Close. A car park in Northumberland ex-mining village.

Alex

O2 is rubbish here. GPRS on a good day and no signal the rest of the time. Even in the two closest towns (Ross and Ledbury) no 4G or even 3G. Switched to EE, 3G at home (and we live in a dip), 4G in town. Similar speeds to Drac on 4G. Honestly I thought I was in some sci-fi movie. Never seen speeds like that!

Two bonded ADSL lines at home (4km from exchange) is about 8meg. 3G is 7 meg. I don’t think the future for the last mile in rural locations is going to be twisted pair 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

Close. A car park in Northumberland ex-mining village.

So close, almost nailed it!

slackboy

Ive just taken out vodafone’s 20Gb 4G package and have no data service at all. Utterly shambolic.

peteimpreza

What app are you using on your phones to do the test ?

zippykona

Just type in speed test . There’s loads of different ones.

spacemonkey

+1 Vodafone 4G being comparatively shit. Everyone I know on rival carriers receives significantly higher speeds than me. The only reason I renew with them is quality of customer service and overall value of package. Plus their signal booster works brilliantly off the router.

Drac

Speed Test I think ooolite it’s called.

peteimpreza

I know but if I use the same app it’s a more accurate comparison

zippykona

Ookla speed test.

craigxxl
    Free Member

The only reason I renew with them is quality of customer service and overall value of package.

Customer + Service when referring to Vodafone is a first. Their idea of customer service was to allow me to buy myself out of my contract for a service that didn’t work and if I did so they wouldn’t allow me to transfer my mobile number that I’d had for well over 10 years.
    Slackboy, I feel your pain and no doubt you will waste many hours and days trying get it sorted without success.

Drac

Oookla that’s it. 😳

Vodafone customer service and pricing? Cost me more than most networks when I was with them and paying for a service they couldn’t provide so far from good value. When I rang to complain they tried to tell me there was 3G in the area, was there bollocks.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Those O2 speeds highlight just how rubbish the Giff Gaff speeds I was getting on the same 4g O2 network were……
    They’re the ones in single figures!

peteimpreza

I am getting a 400% variance in the results depending on which server is selected .

The closest one is not the quickest .

zippykona

Check out today’s mega performance from BT.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

EE 4G Darwen 86.72 dl and 10.54 upload. Super fast. 10gb data.

Virgin media broadband 78 dl 8 upload

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Getting 160+ down and 25+ up on my home wifi. (Almost exactly the same on a wired connection)
    3g is giving me 22/6.
    4g is about 60/20. But the mast is being upgraded at the moment, so no 4g. 🙁

Plan was to put a local wifi network in. Just our little village. No point now. Gone from 5/1 on the mobile to full 3g/4g in the space of 3 years.

Superficial
    Free Member

Having had flaky internet that does 2 mbps on a good day with a following wind etc, I’m quite content with a reliable 17 mbps from Plusnet. My 4G phone is quicker at downloading large files but the latency isn’t as good so I’ll use wifi when I can.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘I've just got 4G.’ is closed to new replies.