Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • I've just bought a Graveleux bike frame
  • flashinthepan
    Free Member

At least, that’s what the label says 😉 . It could just be old-fashioned, or a light tourer, or a heavy CX, or maybe just a ‘bike’

Whatever, It’ll be used for non techy bridleway, The Ridgeway and some road sections largely in the Chilterns.

Anyone want to help me with advice on tyres? (700C, max 40mm)

And a few questions about drivetrain and brakes (discs).
    I have some old tektro cable calipers – but these won’t work with a road lever – right?
    9 speed MTB and road derailleurs are interchangeable – but 10spd and beyond not?
    MTB chainsets run a different chainline. Am I likely to be able to use a triple crankset (RaceFace Ride) with a single ring (NW) and find an acceptable chainline?

I’m hoping a cheap set of Sora / Tiagra / 105 shifters from eBay will work with a Deore 9 spd mech and cassette I already have. Then it’s just some cheap road calipers required

Any other experience or advice?

johnnystorm

Nano 40c are good, as are Panaracer Gravel Kings. Currently trying some Vittoria Adventure Trail in 38c that are 8 quid each at PX/OO for folding tubeless ready versions!

tinribz
    Free Member

1Osp stis (105 5700 or presumably new tiagra) will work with 9sp derailleur (on 10sp Cass). Might have to be a specific slx one? Or try an Apex 10sp if you can find one.

Have used stis with mini Vs and cable disc, dunno about the ones you mention.

I have an Apex 10sp groupset with not much wear sitting in my spares box if ur interested inc bb7s.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Another vote for 40C Nanos- I really rate tham. Unless you run them tubed, then they’re puncture magnets ime.

cp

All Shimano road 10 speed EXCEPT Tiagra 4700 will work 9 speed road and MTB rear mechs or 10 speed road mechs. 10 speed MTB uses a different pull ratio.

(4700 uses the same pull ratio as road 11 speed)

joemmo
    Free Member

The chain line should be acceptable if not perfect with the ring in the middle, you might also need spacers on the BB for the wider crank axle of the 73 vs 68mm.

If the tektro calipers don’t work then the Shimano cable discs are fairly cheap and effective if a bit ugly.

+1 for Gravel King SK on grass, light mud and, er gravel but you might want more tread on wetter mud.

Finally, because what’s a gravel thread without pedantry: I think Gravelleux would be the plural term for people who ride gravel – Gravellers in English. You’re welcome 😉

mattsccm
    Free Member

Middle ring position will be fine. I sue that with a 42 and the inner with a 28 on my bike. As the 42 is great for almost everything with a 11-28 cassette it gets all the use and covers the cassette perfectly.
    Nanos are great but a bit draggy compared with something slick. Remember, on gravel you won’t run out of grip.

steve_b77
    Free Member

johnnystorm – Member
    Vittoria Adventure Trail in 38c that are 8 quid each at PX/OO for folding tubeless ready versions!

Up to £13 already, I’m certain their website pricing has some clever internet traffic tracker that changes prices depending on popularity

steve_b77
    Free Member

johnnystorm – Member
    Vittoria Adventure Trail in 38c that are 8 quid each at PX/OO for folding tubeless ready versions!

Up to £13 already, I’m certain their website pricing has some clever internet traffic tracker that changes prices depending on popularity

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I am using a Shimano XTR M972 Shadow Mega 9 mech on my tripster with an XT 11-36 cassette and 10 speed 105 brifters. I changed the upper jockey wheel as well to a slightly smaller one, but you could also use a lindarets adapter http://www.lindarets.com/

joemmo
    Free Member

FYI my mongrel drivetrain is: Apex double chainset with 38T raceface NW on the outer position, SRAM 11-32 10spd cassette, 105 5700 shifters, XT 9spd long cage (because I plan to put a 40T and a 11-36 on eventually) and a KMC chain. It shifts really well and I’ve only lost the chain once due to excess gunk.

OP – what frame did you buy?

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Thanks all, some helpful advice

Joemmo – wife has ordered me the PX Full Monty (fir Xmas). Took the plunge as frame and fork was available for £180 so it’s a cheap way to ‘test the water’

joemmo
    Free Member

nice – that’s really good VFM. Hope you enjoy it

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘I've just bought a Graveleux bike frame’ is closed to new replies.