Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • I've just been wheel jissed :( (Exploding Schwalbe Content)
  • younggeoff

Just mounting up a UST Nobby Nic and the damn thing exploded off the rim, upon inspection the bead on the tyre has gone. This is the 2nd Nobby Nic that I've had this happen to. The tyre wasn't weakened by using tyre levers to install / remove so why did it happen. Could've been nasty as I'd just filled the tyre with stans fluid and inflated it, then as I picked it off the stand it exploded covering me and the garage in liquid

Schwalbe will be getting an email and if they want to inspect the tyres I'll even post them off, I've never had this happen to any other tyre and at £40 a pop I'm a bit peeved that I now have two completely unuseable tyres that have plenty of tread left on them.

Your thought's and comments

matthew_h
    Free Member

Send them back to Schwalbe and they will warranty them as this has been happening quite a lot with their UST tyres. Whether you actually want more in return I can't comment on but it might be worth trying to get some non-UST tyres instead as they are far less likely to do this and can be run tubeless fine.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

i had this happen to non ust nobby nic i got from wiggle. They replaced it from photos i sent them.

also – i run non ust nobby nics tubeless absoltuely fine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    firestarter
    Free Member

My racing Ralph did it nearly blew my ear drum as I was listening to it make an odd noise, bad move lol. it was ringing for hours. I might send them back. Other one didn't blow but they were bought together and not sure I trust that either now 🙁 just threw both in the shed

scaredypants

UST NN here too – fault in the sidewall leading to a major overhang on one side and tyre failed to hold even 30 psi or so on 1st inflation

younggeoff

Spoke to the guys at bohle and they're sorting me out some new tyres 🙂 so +1 for good customer service

ononeorange

Hmmmm….just ordered a couple of UST ones…..

johnny63

Geoff,
    exact same happened to me but it was because I'd over-inflated it -I heard this strange whining noise, then bang – the kitchen looked like an explosion in a sperm bank – took ages to clean it up too

scaredypants

May I suggest that it's daft to put in the jizz until after you've checked that the tyre seats ?
    (you can just put it down the valve once the inner bit's removed)

mogrim

Sort of like this, then?

MrNutt
    Free Member

god hates you. that is all.

younggeoff

In reply to scardypants, that's exactly what I did, seated teh tyre sans jizz and it was fine, added jizz in thru the valve, 2 minutes later explosion and sealent everywhere

drain

@ yesiamtom / matthew_h – are you running non-UST Nics on UST rims, or converted ones?

Tim
    Free Member

I've had a tubed Schwalbe cross bike tyre do this, but i think that was due to me whacking 100psi in a tyre rated to 80psi 😆

firestarter
    Free Member

I emailed schwalbe uk but still no reply

oddjob
    Free Member

I've been running non UST Racing ralphs tubeless for a year now without any problems. Just one puncture from a big flint which I fixed with a magic patch on the inside of the tyre.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘I've just been wheel jissed :( (Exploding Schwalbe Content)’ is closed to new replies.