Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • I've just been to see DISTRICT 9.. and its was…..
  • neverfastenuff
    Free Member

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME…

racefaceec90

is that the film that's like the fallout 3 game?

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Not sure about the Fallout 3 link, but its action packed and a bloody good watch… You may have seen the trailer – its about an Alien Colony living in J'burg SA.. the main human character gets a biological chemical spray him, and he can use the Alien weaponry cos of it.. the whole world wants a peice of him.. chuffin brilliant film…

Grimy
    Free Member

Raceface your thinking of a movie called "City of Ember" that is extreamly similar to the game fallout3 in that its about a kid trying to get out of the bunker. Not a bad movie, worth passing a few hours if your borred but nothing spectacular unless your a fallout fan, then I guess there may be more apeal?

Ive just watched District9 and I was pleasently surprised! I didnt expect much after reading a couple of reviews on here, however I quite enjoyed it! Id certainly recomend it.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

got tickets to see this tomorrow night.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I wanna watch it again !!

racefaceec90

ah thanks,will have to watch district 9,from the replies here,it sounds like a good film. 😉

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Sorry if it's not got lycra or Stan Lee in it I'm not interested!!

One thumb down.

retrorick

Just seen District 9 tonight and I agree it is an entertaining film. It has a good balance between hilarity and horror, it flows really well like a sh#t hot piece of trail with a few tricky bits in it :D.

Well worth a watch.

Rick.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

Best film I've seen in a while.

rOcKeTdOg

i've seen it, good non hollywood ending and unique style of direction, a bit too "ET" at times with, but overall good, makes me shudder a bit at how the SA forces really acted in the townships on which it was sort of based

well worth seeing though, i thought the lead Human character was excellently played

BoardinBob

its about an Alien Colony living in J'burg SA.. the main human character gets a biological chemical spray him, and he can use the Alien weaponry cos of it.. the whole world wants a peice of him.. chuffin brilliant film…

Well done on spoiling the plot for everyone!

It's a good thing I've already seen it. 🙄

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

BoardinBob,

Have you seen the trailer or read the reviews ?? Ive not spoilt anything.. its all in the trailer what I stated..

househusband

Downloaded it last week and watched it on Sunday – a very good film, and not a glitzy budget Hollywood Blockbuster either!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

well i thought it was great, good balance of action and storyline but towards the end it almost slipped into michael bay territory… thankfully, it stayed just this side of ridiculous explosion fest though.
    would watch again.

rOcKeTdOg

i want a 'humans only' sticker for my bike

sideshowdave
    Free Member

its the bloody prawns man 😀

sslowpace
    Free Member

How cool is this?

Kit
    Free Member

is that the film that's like the fallout 3 game?

No, its the film that's like the Half-Life 2 game.

Very good film indeed, although I think it would have been better without the humour, or timing the funny stuff a bit better.

Setting, SFX, art direction, acting were all excellent I thought. And the LEGO mech is cool 🙂

bassspine
    Free Member

(just back from the flicks) I think that was brilliant! Proper science fiction.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Agree it was good. Deals with some horrible themes and as such I sort of put it in a bracket with films like Schindler's List (although not in the same league as that) i.e. it is a well made film but has bits you really don't enjoy watching. Only slight problem for me though was the Aliens being so good, so 'Alien' and non-humanoid, and speaking in clicks, meant I found it hard to know what they were feling and some of issues beeing dealt with could have been made even more hard hitting had those emotions been portraid more. That is me just being picky though. Overall one of the better films I've scene in a few years.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I liked it. A lot better than the usual hollywood bolox.

BillyWhizz
    Free Member

Van der Merwe throwing cans . . .
    "Is that tear gas?"
    "no its cat food – I just distract them . . . "

rOcKeTdOg

Only slight problem for me though was the Aliens being so good, so 'Alien' and non-humanoid, and speaking in clicks, meant I found it hard to know what they were feling and some of issues beeing dealt with could have been made even more hard hitting had those emotions been portraid more.

if we ever find aliens i doubt they'll speak English and look like us, otherwise they wouldn't be alien!, i thought the subtitles added to the 'realism'

grumm
    Free Member

Yup really enjoyed it, superb effects and action sequences – loved the bit with the suit.

alexathome
    Free Member

I saw it the other night, i laughed a lot, not sure if i was supposed to. I was wondering if it would of worked so well in another city, say LA or NY, i think definitly not on a personal level, and can't help but feel it would not been nearly as good on so many levels.

mtbfix

makes me shudder a bit at how the SA forces really acted in the townships

tinker-belle informs me that the 'one bullet, one prawn' thing was taken from an ANC slogan concerning white folk. She was cheating by understanding all the Afrikaans asides and getting the extra gags.

grumm
    Free Member

The references are not only to the oppressors of apartheid and their historical relatives, but also to the former victims. At one point a character declares: “One prawn, one bullet,” in a direct adaptation of the old slogan of the Azanian People’s Liberation Army, the armed wing of the anti-apartheid Pan Africanist Congress, “One settler, one bullet”.

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090824/FOREIGN/708239911/1017

crazy-legs

I saw it on Sunday, thought it was excellent.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Took my missus to see it when we stopped over in ashford on the way to France the other week.

She hated he, thought it was the worst film ever.

I thought it was really good.

"foorkin prawns"

BillyWhizz
    Free Member

Understanding Afrikaans and recognising the landscape certainly allowed me to get more "into" the film for sure. But it's not just the language, there are a number hidden subtletes in there if you know where to look.

I actually know people who are sooo like "Wikus van der Merwe". Hard working, family loving, church going, so called "respectable" people who, when dealing with (in this case) Aliens, will say things like (this needs to be in a strong SA accent btw) "but you know they don't understand the way we live – you have to hiiiit them to make them understand what you want them to hear. They not like us. They like to b treated hard, you know? It learns them respect"

Also the surname Van der Merwe – pronounced Fan de Merva, is funny, because years ago when in the UK people were telling "Irishman" jokes, in SA they were telling Van der Merwe jokes. Why did Van der Merwe cross the road . . etc. IMO the film makers knew what they were doing when they gave him that name but I doubt anyone outside of SA would have got it, and possibly not anyone under the age of 20, cos Van jokes are not really done anymore.

I drive past settlements like that on a daily basis. They spring up over night, and they ARE run by the Nigerians, as is most of Jo'burg. These people don't have water and lights. They live in awful conditions under a baking hot sun.

Also the vehicles they were using to carry troops are basically the same "Spook" vehicles that the defence (or oppression – depending on what side you were on) forces used back in the 70's and 80's.

For me one of the most poignent things to see, was the SA blacks saying "they don't belong here" etc. You would think that someone who has been oppressed and survived would help anyone else they ever met in the same situation, but I can tell you it just doesn't happen. If a less fortunate person in SA (i'm struggling to explain with out labeling people with colours here) gets a way out, you'll never see them move so fast, and they tend (often) to have nothing but contempt for those they leave behind. I know black south african people who would rather go hungry than work for a black boss, becasue the black bosses are (their words not mine) the worst in the world to work for.

So much for solidarity.

Good film anyway.

My fav line – at the suprise party "I need to get to the toilet, I think i've crapped by pants"
    "SURPRISE!!!!"

MrNutt
    Free Member

is that the film where the shark comes up on the boat?

tinker-belle
    Free Member

Best film I've seen in ages, well worth the trip to the town centre on a Saturday.

(or as us saffers used to say "I went to the bioscope to see a great filem")

Enjoyed it on so many levels.

Doubt it would have worked so well if it had been set anywhere other than SA, would have probably seemed too unreal.

Billy – did you see the clip (I say clip it was about 45 minutes iirc) done in a Carte Blanche documentery style that did the rounds a few years ago, very similar vein to the movie, I couldn't help wonder if that was a viral too?

Definitely well worth the 90 minutes of your time to go and watch it.

BigJohn

Just been to see it.

Which one was Frodo?

rOcKeTdOg

🙂

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘I've just been to see DISTRICT 9.. and its was…..’ is closed to new replies.