Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • I've just been on a ride in a new area, with a map, never again (gps question)
  • cinnamon_girl

I print out a map showing route, often in 1:25 scale cos my eyesight is rubbish, then shove it in my pocket. Also you could print out the grid refs and keep that to hand as a backup.

The key is in the plotting, plenty of trackpoints and referring to a 1:25 map if you have one. For example, just before a turn enter a trackpoint and then another shortly after for reassurance.

Just don't stop exploring! It's addictive, I've had so many amazing rides but naturally there has been the odd mishap, complete with girlie tears 🙄

RichPenny
    Free Member

It's when you start finding sheep carcasses that you need to worry 🙂 Been there on a (with hindsight) poorly planned ride in the Black Mountains. Ended up slightly unsure as to which mountain I was on whilst running out of light. Then I thought I'd lost my car keys when we made it back. Happy days 8)

Karinofnine

Thanks for everyone's input.

I have bought a Garmin Dakota 20 (thought hard about SatMaps but it was just too big) with GB Discoverer Southern England & Wales on micro sd card and using Mapyx Quo mapping software to plan the rides on the computer.

The only problem I have had is that I thought I had loaded a route but hadn't – which was completely my own inadequacy. Luckily I had a paper map with me too.

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘I've just been on a ride in a new area, with a map, never again (gps question)’ is closed to new replies.