Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • I've had my spine surgery
  • vickypea
    Free Member

I mentioned a couple of months ago that I had spondylolytic spondylolisthesis and might be having surgery to fuse 2 vertebrae and release the compression on the nerves between L3/L4. Anyway, I got in loads of MTB rides and Pilates right up til I had the op 2 weeks ago. I was really nervous beforehand but came out the other side! The surgeon said that the procedure lasted 5 hours as my spine at L3/4 was in a bad state, and the nerves had been compressed for a long time. Two days later I was walking up and down stairs, and home from hospital after 4 days. The worst of the pain was from the nerves going through my upper right thigh, irritated at having been set free! It was somewhat reassuring to have that pain, as I’d been experiencing loss of power in my quads while cycling, so I hope to get a bit of that power back eventually. Two weeks later and I’m doing two 30-min walks a day, and feeling a little better each time.
    No MTB for 6 months though!!

Pigface
    Free Member

Way to heal. Best wishes for a full recovery

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Two weeks later and I’m doing two 30-min walks a day, and feeling a little better each time.

Great news ! 🙂

No MTB for 6 months though!!

Not so great. But 6 months, if you get on with stuff and don’t think about it too much, will fly.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    solarpowered
    Free Member

That’s absolutely great news! Lovely to hear you’re getting on so well concidering what you’ve been through…. Healing vibes on their way right now xx

Junkyard
    Free Member

at least it is the winter 6 months and not the summer 6 months

heal well them mountains are not going anywhere

oreetmon
    Free Member

absolutely no comparison BUT,
    smashed my clavicle and spent 6 months waiting for it to knit,,, it didnt.
    had plate put in and after a depressed 4 mnths later got on a bike for first time and managed a bit of mild XC,
    loved it,,,,**** massive smile on my face,,,,,,first time on a bike after 10 months of trying to keep sane ( PMA/spin classes etc )

moral of story…… in 12 months time you will see this as ‘just another injury’ and adapt to riding at the level your capable of ,then its onwards and upwards,,,, CHIN UP. 😉

bigblackshed

Heal well Vickypea.

I’m about a month away from my back op. Not as bad as yours sounds, but mine is compressing the nerve stem around L4/5. The discs are horribly compressed and bulging. I’ve got constant pain and the occasional loss of function in my waterworks. Waiting on another MRI to see what changes have occurred. I’ve managed one ride since 4th March.

Whole summer lost.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Good healing

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

Hope the healing goes well for you, I had surgery in May (microdiscectomy and laminoscopy on 3 Lumbar discs 3,4 and 5 IIRC ) and i was amazed at how soon they have you up and about! Make sure you go very careful for the first week or so, I didn’t and that probably put me back a week.
    Sounds like you’re already seeing improvement in nerve function, Mine was down my left leg and was so much better after the op, but even now, 6 months later it is improving. They’re very slow at healing!

chambord
    Free Member

spondylolytic spondylolisthesis

These doctors don’t mess about when they name things do they.

Heal fast and heal strong and do all the physio you’re told to.

And just remember next time you get on a bike the bluebells will be coming up 🙂

eckinspain
    Free Member

Nice one. Look after it.

nbt

Good news. Mrs NBT is also off the bike for a while, we’ll have to organise a pootle for spring time to get all these crocks back on the bikes

vickypea
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for your messages 🙂

I may be allowed to use my spinning bike fairly soon, so I hope to retain some fitness.
    Forgot to say that when I was coming round in the recovery room after the op, I thought I saw a Canada goose on my bed, and told the nurse to move it!

vickypea
    Free Member

Bigblackshed- all the best for your op when you have it

bikebouy
    Free Member

Excellent news, wouldn’t woory too much about the bike yet, plenty of beautiful places to visit and enjoy in the mean time.. Buy a camera, take pics of all the beautiful things you see.

Have fun, keep smiling. 8)

neilwheel
    Free Member

Best wishes, find a new hobby for 6 months. Maybe geese keeping?

wwaswas

Glad all is going well and that you’re looking to be able to mtb again next spring 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘I've had my spine surgery’ is closed to new replies.