Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • I've had enough of this weather
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

That is all.

neilforrow

2nd that.

thepodge
    Free Member

Try being in a static on Anglesey. I’m deaf from the rain hitting the roof

Kuco

Snowing here now though it pissed it down yesterday.

makkag
    Free Member

Me 3 less than 400 miles off road all year.. fitness is crap and drinking too much beer because of it – had a free weekend this week (Rare) and its just bucketed down.. i took to cleaning my carpets .. i want my weekends back

gribble
    Free Member

I hear you. This weather is really stewing my plums.

Local rides all wet/muddy, bike is covered in kak and I can’t be bothered to clean it.

b45her
    Free Member

just put on a rain jacket and ride then you bunch of shandy drinkers, a bit of water and mud won’t kill you.

jambon
    Free Member

I thought that moving to a sunnier country would help with this malaise but I find myself working in London sans bike half the time and, when in Spain, I spend all my time working on the house/land whist trial motor bikes churn up all the once lovely trails. 🙁

jam-bo

rule 5.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Rule 5 doesn’t say you have to enjoy it.

badnewz
    Free Member

My bike must be wondering where I’ve gone.

endurancenut
    Free Member

Get yourself a turbo trainer – and all of a sudden cycling in the rain becomes the better option.

joolsburger
    Free Member

It’s not the wet it’s the grey that I can’t stand.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I’ve had enough of it but it won’t stop me going out, the last 2 Saturday’s I’ve had pretty dismal weather but just desperate to get out, and I’ve still managed 4-5 hour rides in dismal climates

The right clothes are key, I’ve not got wet once, god bless gore!

Wouldn’t mind some nice dry blue skies mind and the usual places to be a bit drierbout too, but let’s face it, it’s been like this since probably September onwards (If not before) so I’m kinda use to it now

Am hoping for a truly nice summer mind

nuke

a bit of water and mud won’t kill you.

Not doing my bikes much good though…sooo many bike maintenance jobs to get around to 🙁

b45her
    Free Member

as above see rules 5 and 19.

flap_jack
    Free Member

a bit of water and mud won’t kill you.

I cannot afford it. In this weather, 3 rides and the chain’s ruined, 3 chains and the remainder of the drivetrain is gone. That’s over £10 a ride, and we haven’t got onto brakes or cables yet. Rules 5 and 19 are for rich boys, not ‘hard’ men.

richmars

One of the things about getting old is you start looking closely at how you spend your time.
    When I’m on my death bed, I will not be thinking: ‘I wish I’d spent more time cleaning my carpets’

Just get out and ride.

ska-49
    Free Member

I was building up a SS rigid over Christmas but ran out of time to finish it. Initially very annoyed but I’m just sorting the last few pieces out and I don’t think it could have been at a better time. I don’t mind if it stays like this.

lambchop
    Free Member

it’s been raining lightly all morning here, however I started reading this thread and it’s now bucketing down and it’s gone very dark outside, nasty!

Klunk
    Free Member

don’t mind riding in the rain, off road locally is water logged/flooded so that leaves the road. Poor visibility and wet roads and the local driving idiots make it very unpleasant experience. Don’t know what it is about the rain but it turns the locals mental.

flap_jack
    Free Member

My training record shows that on the equivalent sunday in 2010 it was 12 degrees and sunny, and I did 77 miles.

Grrr

zippykona

Is conoeing in the rain any better?
    There must be someone who welcomes all this rain.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I have been out more times this year than any other.

I am enjoying riding at the moment and my fitness is improving,and have been eating slightly better food,have managed to lose just over 1st in 2 months aswell,so i think me riding what ever the weather/conditions is helping.

Yesterday was an interesting ride had Rain/sleet/Snow/Hail stones and thunder in 1 ride and was very cold and wet.Still enjoyed it though.

Have just brought a 29er Hardtail aswell so will be honing my skills and keeping up with my riding on that.

vickypea
    Free Member

richmars, being 44 myself, I agree with you!
    I have done less road miles this year, but more MTB than last year. The thought of slogging along in the cold rain on the road, make MTB even more appealing. I feel safer off road when it’s icy.

A bit of nice weather would be nice for a change though …..

mrmo
    Free Member

riding muddy trails not only trashes the bike but also the trail, so many of the interesting woodland trails are now destroyed because halfwits just have to ride them in all weathers. If the weather is crap then pick the trails that can support bikes!!!!

deanfbm
    Free Member

Rain’s fine, pedalling downhill to stay upright isnt.

roverpig

If it was just cold wet and muddy I could live with that, but it’s been impossible to ride large sections of my favourite trails since the end of November, due to snow and ice and there is no sign of that changing anytime soon. It’s got to the point now where we need a good week of temperatures over 10C with plenty of sunshine to clear the trails and there is just no prospect of that happening soon. Instead we get a few days of 5-7C then it turns cold and snows again.

Still getting out though, but I spent most of yesterday’s ride pushing the bike through heavy snow only to have to tiptoe down the descents due to a lethal combination of rain on top of ice. It’s better than not riding, but only just.

richmars

I’m not saying go out in dangerous conditions etc. I try not to let the weather influence what I do.

vickypea
    Free Member

I ride rocky trails in all weathers, not muddy ones, so I ain’t a half wit, innit?

xcstu
    Free Member

Getting very bored of it now 🙁

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Agreed, took to the turbo today as I can’t face a ride through the Somme followed by cleaning the bike and myself. Plus with the state of the trails round here it would be pretty selfish to ride.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Get yourself a turbo trainer – and all of a sudden cycling in the rain becomes the better option.

A massive +1 to that.

Although a groin strain and a knackered wrist are putting me off riding in the rain today.

vickypea
    Free Member

From what I’ve seen locally, the excessive rainfall is making far more damage to trails than a few MTBs ever could.

Drac

Tell me about these blue skies whilst I’m at work are killing me.

timraven

From what I’ve seen locally, the excessive rainfall is making far more damage to trails than a few MTBs ever could

+1

3 rides and the chain’s ruined, 3 chains and the remainder of the drivetrain is gone.

How? What chains/ drivetrain are you using? I’ll avoid it, must be made of cheese 😀 I change the chain twice a year and drivetrain once a year and do a fair off road mileage.

I’ve not been out due to work more than weather for the last fortnight.

mrmo
    Free Member

From what I’ve seen locally, the excessive rainfall is making far more damage to trails than a few MTBs ever could.

rain doesn’t cause much damage, it is the walkers, horses, bikes etc churning up the wet soil that does the real damage, the going round puddles making them wider or through making them deeper, the creation of ruts which allow the water to wash away the soil etc.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Is this where I post my lack of fitness training excuse?

Kryton57

Saturday – long morning doing DIY things. Reward = bike fettling
    Sunday – long morning waiting for the rain to never stop. Reward = listening to woman babble as wifeys mates pop round when I should be outside.

*researches turbo trainers*

bspoked
    Free Member

I went out on Friday. It is like the whole world has been ploughed. 4-6 inches of claggy clay top soil on top of the trails. Bike weighed a ton.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘I've had enough of this weather’ is closed to new replies.