Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • I've got an iPhone!
  • bearnecessities

After cracking my moto g, a friend has generously given me her old 5s. It’s my first iPhone and my, they’re nice things aren’t they?

What do I need to know, or is it generally just the same stuff as my old android phones, but a lot sexier?

Do I need to join a local cult group? Is there a handshake? Will it murder my android phone in the middle of the night?

ski
    Free Member

I take it you have not let your iphone handshake itunes yet?

dannybgoode

Hateful things. If I was given one it’d be on eBay and sold to fund a decent Android phone.

The limitations imposed by Apple on what you can and (mainly) cannot do with your own phone are ridiculous.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Was it Lisa? Very generous, you should give her a mars bar as a thank you 🙂

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Yes…

Most likely..

Or not..

CountZero

The limitations imposed by Apple on what you can and (mainly) cannot do with your own phone are ridiculous.

Such as?
    Most of the stuff people seem to obsess about being able to do appears to be largely geekery and nothing that most users would be doing on an everyday basis.
    Having used iPhones since the 3 came out, I cannot think of a single thing that Android could let me do any better, especially as Android started as a cheap knock-off of the Blackberry OS, and was then modified to look like iOS after Google’s representative on the board of Apple saw the early versions of iOS and Google went back on their agreement with Apple not to compete in the mobile phone market.

bearnecessities

If I was given one it’d be on eBay and sold to fund a decent Android phone

Well that wouldn’t be very nice thing to do realistically, would it?

Cheers, Apple B

dannybgoode

The main irritation is not just being and to put the phone in and have a PC see it as a mass storage device.

Have to use iTunes for everything.

I like just plugging my phone in via USB and dragging and dropping files and music where I want.

Complete lack of decent live view widgets is another. I mean come on, let me see my dammed emails without opening the email app or weather straight on my home screen.

Pain in the **** arse…

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

You do need to know that as soon as you mention that you’re phone does something or other in a way that you find quite easy to use that someone will call you apple fanboi or possibly refer to you as sheeple. Other than this the experience is fairly pleasant.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I have an iphone and it works.
    I also have a Samsung Galaxy S6 which also works.
    I apologise for not being able to be excited about either.

mrsfry
    Free Member

You don’t really need to use itunes….just sayin

convert

Hateful things. If I was given one it’d be on eBay and sold to fund a decent Android phone.

Anyone who could get that worked up about one phone over another (either way around) needs to have a long hard look at their sad little lives.

Mr B – glad you are happy with it.

rOcKeTdOg

Just don’t try to blue tooth anyone with anything but an iPhone, u’ll be disappointed

thecaptain
    Free Member

Apple stuff is good. Get over it. It’s rumoured that some other people make good stuff too, but IME it’s harder to find. My samsung phone is shit but v cheap which makes up for it.

dannybgoode

@rd – forgot about that nightmare! Add it to the list 🙂

bearnecessities

The main irritation is not just being and to put the phone in and have a PC see it as a mass storage device

My moto G didn’t either TBF, as I found out when trying to use Recuva etc after deleting all the photos..

..the day before I dropped it.

Anyhow, wasn’t spoiling for a scrap – it’s a very nice free thing, just wondered what I needed to possibly be educated in. Cleary, it’s taking sides 🙂

Drac

Connecting a phone to a PC? How very quaint.

It’ll work pretty much the same as an android.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Bargainous!

You may need a decent case for it?

I got an i-Blason Armorbox job for mine for about 13 quids off that big online store, and it’s been worth every penny. Have accidentally smacked it off the tarmac a few times and the phone and case survived. Not fully waterproof like the Lifeproof but it does well in rain showers.

You also need Quell+ because it’s a great game.

We have two (used) 5s in the family, no probs except for knackered batteries. Mrs MR’s was literally draining in 10 mins, so I finally had a go and replaced the battery after kacking it deliberating for weeks. Amazing! It lasts two days now…

Worst things IMO are the lightning charging cables, you can spend a pretty penny replacing them every few weeks as they are obviously designed by Evil Agencies of Apple – ie for obsolescence. Have just purchased a pack of three with a 3 year guarantee – one of which lasted literally a day :-/

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I’ve got a two week old Lifedge case if anyone’s interested in a case for a 5?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@bear well as you can see from here you’ll have to cope with jealousy from others.

I suppose plan A should be to get an Apple ID setup (if you haven’t already) get iCloud setup to save your contacts etc download the apps you want / had before

My lighting cables have been good for years btw, all Apple originals

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Has my brother called you on it yet?

v8ninety

Get the lightning cables that Aldi sell every now and again; work perfectly and feel a LOT more durable than apples own, or anything else I’ve come across. Barginous, too

Superficial
    Free Member

Worst things IMO are the lightning charging cables, you can spend a pretty penny replacing them every few weeks as they are obviously designed by Evil Agencies of Apple – ie for obsolescence. Have just purchased a pack of three with a 3 year guarantee – one of which lasted literally a day :-/

I presume they’re 3rd party cables if you’re buying them in 3 packs. In my experience, third party cables are universally rubbish whereas the proper ones are fine. I’ve spent more on 3rd party lightning cables / car chargers than I care to remember. With hindsight, I definitely should have just sucked up the price of official cables from the outset.

Mini or micro USB is obviously more versatile, but I like lightning cables.

cbike
    Free Member

Plugging in and dragging and dropping? I have a Mac iPhone and android tablet. Everything is wireless and the only one that crashes is the android. I guess it’s a feature.

molgrips
    Free Member

@bear well as you can see from here you’ll have to cope with jealousy from others

Serious?

As if any S6 owner couldn’t have simply asked for an iPhone instead..?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

In my experience, third party cables are universally rubbish whereas the proper ones are fine

Only original one I used was the iPad one, that lasted maybe a year and I was uber-careful – it lived on the desk. As for phone-charger – so far this year have bought a Silvercrest (Lidl) one that lasted about 6 weeks (3 year warranty but can I find the ***** receipt!), one from the local computer shop (‘that’ll last you, no probs’) that lasted about two months, and now this (well-reviewed) multipack which features some hefty-looking anti-bend protection where the wire joins the jack.

Having used Apple mobile devices for years (I like the screens and apps) have always wondered why they just run their thin cables straight into the jacks with no beefy anti-flex protection at the junction? Apparently it’s aesthetically non-negotiable. Pleased someone has had luck with them, maybe I’m a bit rough and stuff my tech in rucksacks a lot…but I still loop cables carefully and soft-box separately.)

*Edit: Seems I’m not alone – http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/reviews/ME291ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-cable-05m

£15 for the official 1.0m lightning cable? Same again for the 0.5m? 8)

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

I was an iPhone person for many years and never had a problem until my apple ID got locked and no one in Apple including the security team could seem to fix? Then apps started to cease working (my tech director is a massive apple geek and he was also lost) so in the end gave up and got an S6 and it’s like a breath of fresh air – stuff just works (not going to list stuff as it becomes a feature function battle) and I am sure an iPhone can probably do it all its just I don’t seem to need to be search apple blogs to work it out. Lots of my apps seem a shed load better on android

jambalaya
    Free Member

The OP asked about how to get the best oit of his new iPhone, he didn’t ask about Android phones or whether others here think their phone is better. I know this is stw but its ridiculous

mrlugz
    Free Member

put one of these on it.

May be expensive for a screen protector, but they are brilliant.

maccruiskeen

Have to use iTunes for everything.

It is iTunes. The point of the iPod and later the iPhone, was to be able to carry iTunes around in your pocket

Drac

The OP asked about how to get the best oit of his new iPhone, he didn’t ask about Android phones or whether others here think their phone is better. I know this is stw but its ridiculous

It’s how conversations work nothing to do with STW, it’s a forum not an official meeting.

I like just plugging my phone in via USB and dragging and dropping files and music where I want.

Just like in iTunes.

Rubber_Buccaneer

No it’s not like iTunes. A lot of people get used to setting up their own file structure when they first use windows and like that they can do the same in android. If only they would let go of that idea and accept that they can leave it to the OS or an app to worry about they’d have happier lives

Drac

Oh I agree but some like to drag and drop, they hate change, but because they can’t work out how to do it they decide to hate the software.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well all I really want to know is what colour the 5s is. That will make a huge difference to whether I applaud, him or belittle him.

?

As for what to do next, Jam points out the basics, then go subscribe to iTunes Music, then go play in the App store for about 20mins.

Than take photos with it.

If you are sync’ing with a Mac via iTunes then I’d suggest you turn off the photos sync facility and only upload photos each time you plug it in. Other wise you’ll load all iCloud photos then you’ll have the issue that if you delete photos off your phone it’ll delete them in iCloud too. (settings, Photos & Camera, iCloud Library OFF, My Photo Stream OFF, iCloud Photo Sharing OFF) You can retrieve deleted photos from iCloud but you have to call Apple Support who will do it quickly if under 30 days of noticing what you’ve done.

It’ll take a little while to get used to, no longer than a day or so, but once done you’ll be more settled.

dannybgoode

For the record and for balance I have a ipod touch as I think it’s about the best music player going and I do like iPads but they’re pricey. Wouldn’t stop me having one if I could afford it though.

I have used iPhones many times and was my mum’s defacto iPhone support and just do not like using them compared to Android. Don’t like them at all.

The lack of widgets is a big one for me and no I don’t like iTunes one bit. Bloated and unfriendly. I use deezer to get my music on to the iPod and that would be my tip to bn. Subscribe to Spotify or deezer and enjoy…

bearnecessities

Cheers, all. It’s silver & black, if that helps 🙂

It’s got one of those fancy glass things on it already, and I’m not at the stage of using it for music/apps yet, but above points noted thank you.

I’ve not got a Mac to sync it with, so all in all, looks like just a ‘normal’ phone.

FWIW, after a day, it’s sumptuous as a ‘thing’ that I really do like, but not sold on the OS yet – android seems more intuitive but that could be just me being used to something else. The camera is bloody brilliant though!

I’ll stick with it, what being a gift and all that.

dannybgoode

Double tapping the home button thing opens up the task manager to quickly swap between open apps or to close them off.

That’s my second tip for you 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘I've got an iPhone!’ is closed to new replies.