Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • I've got an informal chat about a job
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I asked to pop in and talk about the job and whilst I apparently don’t have the experience the chap is looking for other qualities that apparently matter as well.

It’s a research technician position at a university…..any tips on how to impress? Should I offer to do some unpaid work until the posts start date?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Why not. you have nothing to loose and you might get a little experience.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s a research technician position at a university…..any tips on how to impress? Should I offer to do some unpaid work until the posts start date?

See how it goes first!
    Go have a the chat and see how it’s going, if you have nothing else to do and it’s not going to cost you much then give it a go or offer to come in for a few days.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah okay then, I did end up doing a few weeks worth of unpaid work for KCL back in August and then the cheeks told me I came 3rd in the interview. Admittedly I panicked a little in the interview.

At least I can write it down on my cv though, which is always good and it’s a great learning experience.

jezmeister
    Free Member

Read up on the groups publications and see what sort of work they are actually doing. For techie roles they expect to have to give you some training so the essential and desirable skills they have to put down for the HR bit may be complete tosh.

Being enthusiastic and eager means more than skills in a lot of places. If its research based they already have the funding in place otherwise wouldn’t advertise the post, see if they would prefer an earlier start date from you ie show you can be flexible and want to start as soon as.

HTH

Jez

Moses

I’d say, don’t offer to work for free, you’re undervaluing yourself & they may try to offer lower wages. An unofficial chat is a good start, ask what qualities they are looking for, then tell them how you meet those needs. And ask if you can have the job, at the end of the interview

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I apparently don’t have the experience

Less important than skills, in most cases. The fact you’ve been called in shows interest. If you can show that you are just what they are after you will be solving their problem.

The fact it isn’t a formal interview might play away from your weaknesses.

I panicked a little in the interview.

They may be trying to see how you work with others in the group; so don’t start any fights and you’ll be fine.

seadog101

Any other skills or experience which relate to the position indirectly? Emphasise those. As said by Jez, knowledge of their work will mean alot.

jezmeister
    Free Member

Also ask if they have any publications pending that you can read to get up to date with the work, they might not want to give you a paper thats currently at review but again it shows you want to know more and are aware of the nature of research work.

An informal chat would be a good start point, how many academics have time to kill talking to all candidates for jobs nowadays?

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Jez

whatnobeer
    Free Member

An informal chat sounds like a great start, I got my current job through one. Don’t offer to work for free right off the bat either. You might be able to pick up some ‘casual’ non-contracted but paid work for them before the official start date. Good luck!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Less important than skills, in most cases. The fact you’ve been called in shows interest.

x10

When I advertise a job there’s always a “call for informal chat” line. If anyone does it’s brownie points in the interview. Plus, I remember how they are on the phone because interviews can be nerve wracking, if someone’s performance is poor at the interview, but I’ve already spoken to them, I’ll bear their earlier performance in mind.

EDIT – and good luck with it

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘I've got an informal chat about a job’ is closed to new replies.