• This topic has 26 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • I've got a week off, a new bike, and a budget of £600 quid…
  • bensales
    Free Member

…where do I go to ride? Something interesting. I also have a passport and a car.

Caveats: it’ll be the 2nd week of October when I have a week off, so would prefer not to camp but can do.

rOcKeTdOg

Tour the trail centres from Wales through the lakes to Scotland then down the north side of England on your way back (depending where you live) b&b in between

Rosss
    Free Member

Where do you live and what sort of riding do you like? I’d be doing 2 days uplift at BPW, Cwmcarn, Afan, Brechfa, FOD, Coed Y Brennin, Snowdon and Llandegla personally – In fact it’s exactly what i’m planning for next summer.

somouk
    Free Member

I’d be heading to Scotland and riding at a few places on the way north and on the way back down again.

Either that or a long bike tour out in the wilds.

MoreCashThanDash

Give me the £600 to buy a new bike and we’ll do something local?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Did a tour of Wales using the van but b+b will add up

muddy9mtb

book us both into the dales centre near reeth and will give you a personal tour of the swaledale…all I ask in return is a pint (or two..maybe three) for my troubles

prawny

After a nice couple of rides in the Stanes last week I’d be inclined to go up there for a week and do the rest if I was free of Family.

GT-inners-Kirri-Dalbeattie-Drumlanrig-Mable-Ae-maybe Newcastleton, not been near there so not sure if it’s worth trip.

To be fair if I had the chance I’d like to do all 7(+Drumlanrig) in a week, treat myself to a Jersey/T-shirt/Buff and a nice bottle from Bladnoch distillery to finish the week off.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Well it depends on where you are based and if you believe the weather will be worse in Scotland than further South.

As an alternative suggestion I’d spend £200 of it on a one to one session with Jedi at UK Bike Skills. If that means you have to cut the riding holiday down a bit don’t worry it will be well worth it.

With Bike Brechfa and Afan Lodge you can do quite a bit of riding local to them and stay reasonably cheaply especially if you focus on Sunday-Thursday nights.

eddie11
    Free Member

Just spaff the lot on wiggle and crc and spend the week talking about riding on here. You’ll be a big hitter after 7 days, easy.

bensales
    Free Member

The 7Stanes in seven days thing had taken my fancy. Although I might skip Glentress as I’ve already ridden there a few times.

Riding-wise… I was an old school cross country racer starting out in 1990 until about 2008 when I stopped for full-time dark side. Last (mountain) bike was an S-Works Epic. So XC, enduro (or marathon as it seems to now be known) are my staples. A result of this, though, as an irrational aversion to uplifts. In my book, you earn the downs by riding the ups 🙂

New bike is of the filing cabinet variety, as I’m now an old man and a bit of comfort is more important than head-down/arse-up speed. Decent distance (30 miles a day?) of red-grade single track would fit the bill.

I’m based near Birmingham, so anywhere in the country is reasonably accessible.

binners

Head north of the border. Its bloody brilliant up there! Call in for a couple of lakes rides on the way maybe

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be heading to a trail centre if I had a week to myself. Either Scotland or the Lakes probably.

prawny

If I didn’t head for a trail centre I’d be riding fire roads on my own for a week. I live on Cannock Chase, but every time I go out looking for cheeky trails, I just end up finding unrideable mud pits.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Dumfries/Lakes

YHA’s/similar – meet some folk

Plan to go big but have whinlatter/grizedale on the back burner for wet days (which you’ll definitiley get)

edit – jammy bastid

MaryHinge
    Free Member

You should be able to get a week at one of the Spanish or other euro guided places for that money.

Ride some great trails in nice weather 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Another vote for as many of the 7 Stanes as possible.

The GF and I did it slightly differently the other week though, headed from midlands to Dalby, rode the red and the black, then onto Hamsterley, then up to Glentress/Innerleithen, then Ae on the way home.

cakefacesmallblock

I’d head north of border and aim at say Aviemore in the first instance, maybe mix it up a bit between natural Cairngorm stuff, Laggan perhaps, then go from there ?

bensales
    Free Member

thestabiliser – Member

edit – jammy bastid

It’s a long promised reward to myself prior to starting a new job. With family and work over the last few years I’ve not had anything myself, so this is it.

I quite like the Spain idea, and did have a look, but adding flights on would blow my budget.

I think a mix of trail centres and some wild stuff up Scottishland is the answer. Maybe a couple of days in the borders and a couple in the Highlands. Just take the tent and be flexible.

Speeder

£600 and a week? Even in October I’d be considering France/Switzerland – there’s a been a few roadtrip articles in Dirt the last couple of issues for inspirations and they’re mostly places with longer opening seasons than Morzine which shuts this week I think.

clareymorris

Lakes…obv!!!

Or if Spain….

Ciclo Montana

STILL FANTASTIC VALUE FOR 2014

All year round weekly centre based trail
    riding packages include:

*Airport Transfers for Riders and Bikes*

*Accommodation with breakfast and evening meals*

*Professional Guiding*

*Shuttle Assisted Rides*

*Optional Two Day Overnight Excursions*

*Based in the Trail Mecca of Southern Europe*

*ALL THIS FOR £430 P/P*

Sorted.

mcnultycop

I’d do a couple of days in the lakes, then spend the rest on coke, hookers and scotch.

bensales
    Free Member

Ciclo Montana

*Based in the Trail Mecca of Southern Europe*

*ALL THIS FOR £430 P/P*

Plus £200 in flight from Monarch (<spit>). Hmm. It’s an option, though thanks.

bensales
    Free Member

mcnultycop – Member
    I’d do a couple of days in the lakes, then spend the rest on coke, hookers and scotch.

The £600 was roughly £200 fuel (diesel), £200 accommodation, £200 fuel (carbs & alcohol).

I think the rugby players would be pushing it.

iolo
    Free Member

Slowenia, Croatia, Northern Greece, Slovakia, Czech.
    Chose one.
    All possible in your budget including flight and cheap pension type digs.

tinribz
    Free Member

Isle of Mann end to end route.

benp1

I’d be doing a bikepacking trip somewhere

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘I've got a week off, a new bike, and a budget of £600 quid…’ is closed to new replies.