Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • I've got a new SLX Shadow+ derailleur…
  • edd

…and I’m quite excited!

IMG_0332[1] by eddkh, on Flickr

binners

That’s real purty! you do realise that you’re glowing pride means that as you read this, a gert big, pointy rock is planning its immediate demise?

crotchrocket
    Free Member

was it a good deal?

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I fitted a new XTR Shadow Plus before my Chamonix trip and it is now looking suitably well used!

They’re great – am sure you’ll love it.

llamaknob
    Free Member

Just dropped my bike into the LBS to get my new XT version fitted with a suitable ten speed offering,I cant wait,I is like a small child waiting for christmas morning

continuity
    Free Member

Just dropped my bike into the LBS to get my new XT version fitted with a suitable ten speed offering,I cant wait,I is like a small child waiting for christmas morning

Do you not own a 4mm allen key?

smiff
    Free Member

looks lighter than air.
    remember to adjust the distance from cassette, mine was shifting a bit shit until i loosened that screw a bit yesterday. also remember to turn the clutch on when you ride… yay another switch, brilliant 🙄

Northwind

I ****ing love new mechs. I got a shadow XT a little while back and I had to spend ages just sat in the living room, playing with it. Lovely.

DT78
    Free Member

probably a dumb question, do they do a 9 speed version? Or will I have to buy most of a new drive?

scaredypants

Is it right you have to reset the cluch after every gearchange ?

shortcut

Scaredeypants – yes definitely!

smiff
    Free Member

no 9 speed probably ever.. this is another thing to push you into new stuff you don’t need, more expensive chains etc..
    although.. these may work on 9 speed anyway, anyone tried?

i’m guessing that’s a joke but only touch the switch when you want to take the wheel out. i guess in a few years they’ll do away with the switch and make it auto.

llamaknob
    Free Member

“Do you not own a 4mm allen key?”

Having a whole new drivetrain fitted 10 speed xt all over,just wanted it spot on no mess(i cant even put up a shelf)

Superficial
    Free Member

You can’t use these on a Shimano 9 speed drivetrain – cable pull ratios are all wrong.

The only combination I’m not sure about – can you use 10-speed ‘Type 2’ SRAM mechs with 9 speed (SRAM) shifters and a 9-speed cassette? Not much use to me as I’ve got all Shimano stuff.

It would be a 5mm allen key you need anyway 🙄

STATO
    Free Member

So all you people buying shadow type mechs, do any of you have a ‘direct mount’ frame, or was that another of shimano’s ideas that flopped?

Northwind

Superficial – Member

You can’t use these on a Shimano 9 speed drivetrain – cable pull ratios are all wrong.

Though… Should be possible, and probably not all that complex, to reengineer a shifter to operate 9-speed shifting with a 10-speed mech.

acidchunks

Love my Shadow XT, although I’m v. glad it came with the bike…think I’ve spent enough on upgrades for the time being…

So all you people buying shadow type mechs, do any of you have a ‘direct mount’ frame, or was that another of shimano’s ideas that flopped?

Ha ha. jealous Rich?

Northwind

Thing is- the mechs are compatible with direct mount by default, and it’s one of those rare situations where there’s not really any disadvantage. The Infinite Mech Hanger Standards Folly is something we could really do with sorting out and this could be one way to do it. Or, could be another mechhanger standard 😉

Murray

What’s the difference between the XT and SLX ones?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Thing is- the mechs are compatible with direct mount by default, and it’s one of those rare situations where there’s not really any disadvantage. The Infinite Mech Hanger Standards Folly is something we could really do with sorting out and this could be one way to do it. Or, could be another mechhanger standard

Isn’t it intended to work better with the new 142mm axles? I’ve no idea if all 142mm bikes are the same hangers though.

What’s the difference between the XT and SLX ones?

Vaguely:
    Deore: pressed steel almost everywhere
    SLX: pressed steel back, alluminum front
    XT: aluminium everywhere
    XTR: even more aluminium and some Ti bits.

Superficial
    Free Member

Though… Should be possible, and probably not all that complex, to reengineer a shifter to operate 9-speed shifting with a 10-speed mech.

Someone did this. I saw a picture on here a while back. Did not look pretty!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Should be possible, and probably not all that complex, to reengineer a shifter to operate 9-speed shifting with a 10-speed mech

even less complicated to buy a chain and cassette.

Superficial
    Free Member

And shifter. Less complicated but a big outlay just to have a clutch thingy.

matther01
    Free Member

I’ve bought one too, £40 might be a bit steep but hopefully it’ll work. The write ups on the XTR have been good, but this version is pretty bloody heavy.

cakefest
    Free Member

Got an XT shadow rear mech and glad for the extra protection but it makes a bit of a racket on the downhills, whacking around a lot more than my standard XT that snapped off at Mayhem.

justatheory
    Free Member

I’ve got the XT version, shifting is noticeably stiffer but it’s worth it for the silence.

takisawa2

Serious question now…
    What does the clutch thing do then ?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

stops the chain flapping about

takisawa2

Hmmm. Would (could) it make the chain device redundant on s 1×10 set up…?

Northwind

Not in my experience, still falls off the top. But it does mean I can get away with just a top guide on my Camber, which before I’d have put a bottom one on as well.

elliott-20
    Free Member

I picked up a medium cage Saint 9sd shadow r.mech last week and what a revelation.

Yes it’s heaver and chunkier than the XT it replaced but by jebus does it shift with such a positive and reassuring click-clunk 🙂

Best thing I have bought in a long while.

climbingkev
    Free Member

+1 for the Saint. I smashed the roller off my Stinger chain guide on the Saints first outing, didn’t even notice – and the Stinger made a huge difference when running 9sp XT. The Saint spring is bionic, such positive shifting and reduces chain slap to nearly nil. Have thought about buying another before they become extinct…..

Northwind

elliott-20 – Member

Yes it’s heaver and chunkier than the XT it replaced but by jebus does it shift with such a positive and reassuring click-clunk

Yup- when I got mine I remember thinking it shifts almost as nicely as an X9 😉

That’s the big step forward for 10-speed Shimano as far as I’m concerned, you push the button and it feels like something’s happened. clunk, clunk. Lovely.

perthmtb
    Free Member

I picked up a medium cage Saint 9sd shadow r.mech last week and what a revelation.

Yes it’s heaver and chunkier than the XT it replaced but by jebus does it shift with such a positive and reassuring click-clunk

Best thing I have bought in a long while.

Just thought I’d give an alternative perspective on this…

I’ve relegated my Saint M810 to the spares box and put the original SLX RD back on, as I just couldn’t get on with the thing. For ‘positive’ read ‘clunky’, and the thing seemed to be forever out of tune at one end of the cassette or ‘tother. I’m happy again now with the dainty and virtually imperceptible shifts of my SLX. Shame tho’ as the Saint RD got many an admiring glance, and made me look very gnarr!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Seems to work really well, I was amazed at how quiet my Gyro was compared to my Five. And then I forgot to put the clutch on and did a descent – yep, just as noisy afterall, so it works!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘I've got a new SLX Shadow+ derailleur…’ is closed to new replies.