Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • I've got a little thrush, thought you should know…
  • GrahamS

MrsGrahamS came home at lunchtime yesterday to find this poor little critter being tossed between two magpies. 😥

She took him to the vet, who cleaned out a nasty wound on its chest, but said it was otherwise fine.

We took him home and managed to give him some food, water and a dose of antibiotics via syringes. I constructed a little house for him and we left him overnight, hoping the shock and the wound wouldn’t kill him…

Woke up this morning to the sound of chirping. 😀

Little fighter was looking much brighter, but we couldn’t persuade him to take any breakfast so after much debating we decided, after applying more antibiotics topically, that the best thing was to release him and hope we’ve done enough for him.

Good luck little fella!

GrahamS

(Excuse the cameraphone photo by the way)

Drac

How nice you even bought it a high chair.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

What did you call him?

*sniff, sniff*

😥

thepurist

@GG In tribute to STW it must’ve been “Robin”

Drac

Robin?

Haze

So you had a little thrush but the vet fixed it?

Good work!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So some baby magpies are now going to starve to death ? ………thanks to you giving a helping hand to the caterpillar eating feathery fiend. And won’t someone think of the butterflies ? 😐

bigyinn
    Free Member

Magpies are vermin, and much more common than thrushes these days.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

How nice you even bought it a high chair.

He couldn’t be bothered to strap the ickle birdy in though could he?

Very poor parenting skills there

loddrik
    Free Member

Cannot bloody stand magpies. Our cats have took care of a few over the years, not enough though…

Stoner
    Free Member

and much more common than thrushes these days.

well the RSPB think there are twice as many breeding pairs of songthrush as magpie…

therider
    Free Member

no that why magpies and crows get shot on the farm for raiding sonbird nests dont get me wrong beutiful birds just rats

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

and much more common than thrushes these days.

And the reason for that provides a clue to why there are so many more these days. It isn’t because the songbird population is sustaining them btw – as we all know, that is in decline.

GrahamS

So some baby magpies are now going to starve to death ?

yeah I did consider the overall environmental impact ernie :-). Plentiful food supplies around us so the magpie chicks won’t starve – plus the Song Thrush is a protected, endangered species whereas magpies are thriving.

Very poor parenting skills there

You should have seen us trying to get a nappy on the little bugger.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

well the RSPB think there are twice as many breeding pairs of songthrush as magpie…

I doubt whether that is the case in towns. And there again is a clue. There is no connection between the increase in magpies and the decrease in songbirds.

Look at the two-legged vermin for more clues……..not natural species which fit in perfectly within the balance of the eco system.

GrahamS

Song Thrush is on the RSPB Red list which means it is in severe decline. Magpies are on the green list.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/status_explained.aspx

(Yes I’m an RSPB member)

Diane
    Free Member

Lovely – well done 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Eating my breakfast, I watched two magpies dive bombing a pretty sizeable pheasant.

Pheasant was trying to eat recent sowed maize seed.

Which one should I have shot?

GrahamS

I’d have probably just watched that one unfold omitn. 😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well the pheasant is an alien which has no right to be that far from Asia, whilst on the other hand, the good old British magpie is indigenous, and pre-dates the arrival of human beings from Africa.

I would therefore shoot the pheasant.

Having said that, the maize which the pheasant itself is eating is also an alien specie, so you need to get rid of that too.

loddrik
    Free Member

But pheasants aren’t ****…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Where you from Ernie? Are you indigenous?

GrahamS

Is that the BNP approach to wildlife control ernie? 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d have shot the pheasant. They taste good.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member
    racefaceec90

hope the thrush is ok now 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well TJ, I wanted to add that afterwards the poster should shoot himself, on account that he himself represents a non-indigenous species, I just didn’t like to.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ooh! Can I shoot you, Ernie?? 😀

wrightyson
    Free Member

Pheasants, singularly the thickest bird after Jordan to have graced this country. Ooo is that a car I see coming, right I must run/fly directly at it!!

GrahamS

Pheasants are specially bred to be stupider than the inbreds shooting at them – it’s quite an achievement!

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’ve shot hundreds (literally..well numerically) over the years. They are handsome, intelligent and resilient birds but as they have no natural predators they must be controlled by shooting and trapping.

I’ve witnessed many nests emptied of eggs, chicks and fledglings over the years.

They are the avian equivalent of Col. Gadaffi.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Oooooooooooooh that’s made me all smiley inside big hugs for this one!!!
    Debs x

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

They are handsome, intelligent and resilient birds

What are, magpies ?

Well they are extremely intelligent and have a great sense of dress, but they certainly have natural predators. If they’re a bit thin on the ground it’s ’cause we’ve killed them all.

Joe

How much did the vet charge you for all this? Are you out of your mind.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

How much did the vet charge you for all this?

Vets are obliged by their professional code to treat during practice hours small wild mammals and wild birds free of charge, and provide any necessary pain relief or euthanasia. They may ask for a contribution towards any medication if you want much more than that.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I’ve got a little thrush, thought you should know…

My next door neighbour has great tits…and swallows!

GrahamS

They charged us £30 all in.

I don’t have a problem with that – it covered the antibiotics, a tin of high protein mushy food, two feeding syringes, and cleaning/treatment of the wound. Plus they looked after it for 4 hours, gave advice and loaned us a plastic pet box to take it away in.

Are you out of your mind.

Possibly, or maybe we just have different values?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘I've got a little thrush, thought you should know…’ is closed to new replies.