• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by j_me.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • I've got £30 and need to buy some whisky from duty free…
  • mieszko
    Free Member

STW wisdom needed. Available for up to £30 are:

Bushmills 10Yr single malt
    Caol ila 12yrs single malt
    Glenfiddich 12yr single malt
    Isle of jura superstition or 10yr
    The dalmore 15yr old
    Singleton 12yr
    Glenmorangie 10yr single malt
    Aberlour 10 and 12 yr old

Looking for something for my gf’s dad. Something nice but as I don’t really drink I can only judge on how the bottle looks. He never tried any good whisky so I might treat him to a bottle. Still have 1.5h til the flight so so please recommend me something from the list of the above.

Albanach
    Free Member

Personally I’d go for Glenmorangie 10 year or the Aberlour 12 year old. Both lovely.

iwluap

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that you should get the Dalmore 15. Deeeelicious. Recently discovered it as the wife is from up that neck of the woods. It has rapidly become my favourite and you don’t see it around as much as some of the others so you may score originality points there! Albanach’s recommendations would be a close second and third.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Present for your gf’s Dad? I’d avoid the Glenmorangie as it’s a bit ‘common’ these days…that said it is very nice and even people who don’t drink whiskey tend to like it.

The 12 year old Aberlour gets my vote therefore. I’d also consider one of the Isle of Juras.

Cougar

There’s not a bad one amongst that lot apart really, so you’re not going to go too far wrong.

If he’s never had a ‘good’ whisky, I’d suggest the Dalmore. It’s really well balanced and won’t take his head off. Both Juras fall into this category too.

I’d avoid the Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie, not because there’s anything wrong with them but because they’re very common and easy to get hold of, rather than ‘special’. Caol Ila is fabulous but an aquired taste, not a ‘my first whisky’ outing so I wouldn’t recommend that here either.

No Highland Park on the list? They do a 16yo which you can only get from Duty Free, probably out of budget but it’s spectacular.

Cougar

Hold it, I’ve just realised, I misread that. They’re doing the Dalmore -15- for under 30 quid and not the 12? Tear their arm off, thread closed.

Cougar

(as an aside, 15yo is a good age for a whisky generally, it’s old enough to be getting really nice but not so old as it starts getting into silly money)

ononeorange

Caol Ila would get my vote, but that’s personal preference.

mieszko
    Free Member

16Yo highland park is over £40. 🙁 the dalmore has another benefit for me the box has a deer head that looks like from Donnie Darko 😉 i think I’ll go for the Dalmore then but will wait till 9 and wait for other suggestions. If he likes it than he was mentioning that he would like to get a nice bottle with a budget of £80-90 seems like quite a lot to me and I would think You can get two good bottles for that. I won’t be limited to duty free as I’ll be back in Edinburgh.

Cougar

At that sort of budget you’re into the realms of 18yo’s, and some -really- nice choices.

FuzzyWuzzy

Are you still talking about Whisky?

mieszko
    Free Member

I’ll report back next week once I’m back for more of STW whisky wisdom. 15min to go, looks like it’s Dalmore 15, it’s £32.99 but if it’s that good I’ll pass on some haribos to up my budget.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My choice would be the Jura – but its marginal over the Dalmore.

I echo what the others have said about Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie

ononeorange

Hmmm, haribo sacrifice – tricky……. That adds another dimension to the decision.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

12 year old Highland Park is £21 in Asda just now.

j_me
    Free Member

12 year old Highland Park is £21 in Asda just now.

£19.99 from your local David Sand’s store (thats not an offer always been that price)….shhh dont tell anyone 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘I've got £30 and need to buy some whisky from duty free…’ is closed to new replies.