Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • I've got 3 hours to kill in Shrewsbury…
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

…what to do?

Any recommendations? I’m considering taking the bike but is there anything nearby for a pootle to stretch my legs. Any locals got the day off tomorrow and fancy showing me around?

Long Mynd? Anything closer?

Alternatively, if I don’t bother with the bike any must sees, dos?

Alcohol is out of the question as I’m driving there and back 🙂

somouk
    Free Member

You could head over to the Wrekin and do some of the trails around there, not sure if it’s much closer than the Mynd though.

kayak23

Pump tracks? Lots of them around Shrews.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Long Mynd is certainly worth checking out, but if you’re limited to 3hrs max maybe Eastridge would be a better bet?

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/englandherefordshirethemarcheseastridge

Scamper
    Free Member

3 hours gives you just about enough time to Long Mynd and back, up across and down once, if you plan your route and not hanging around.

Another option is Haughmond Hill which you can cycle to from Shrewsbury or park up there. Hardly epic biking but used to be reasonable singletrack with tracks cut into ridge although not been there for years.

rOcKeTdOg

Armoury for food, & that independant coffee shop opposite the castle for coffee

mrhoppy

Take the bike to eastridge and do laps on the lordshill descents. You’ve got the red descent, topography, beyond the bush and yapp. All of those should see you good for an hour and a half, 20 mins each way to get there and a bit of time to spare. Can’t make tomorrow or I’d have joined you.

Or you’ve got Haughmond to the east that you can ride out to on the old canal path or Nesscliffe to the west both of which have some nice trails on them, nesscliffe has some chunky drop offs too.

Or take your road bike and go pretty much anywhere.

Ridings not bad round here.

mrhoppy

Go to trailhead and ogle bikes.

SaxonRider

Say ‘hi’ to Brother Cadfael for me.

hatter

Grab some food at the Peach Tree, especially if they still have the molasses and ginger spare ribs on the menu.

God they were nice.

jekkyl

Without the bike the park and along by the river is beautiful for a stroll.

funkrodent

Great town. Old man and sister live there so am there quite a lot. Worth taking a couple of hours to just stroll around. Amazing old buildings, winding cobbled streets, eclectic mix of funky little shops. As Jekkyl says great walks by the river. Long Mynd is approx 25mins drive away. Park at Carding Mill, up to the top and left along the road to descend the classic Minton Batch. Back along road to Carding Mill. Easily doable in 2 hours

kayak23

Is Eastridge riding again now then? I thought it’d been knackered by felling?

mrhoppy

Lordshill area (where the best bits are) didn’t get affected by the forestry works, that was the habberly side. Some of the red (car park to the top of the bastard climb) is still shut and the volunteers are working on some of the trails but it’s getting there.

mtbmattie
    Free Member

Have a wonder around the River/ Quarry Park, and then go to the Market Hall for lunch/coffee. The market is on the first floor of a pretty ugly 60’s building (with the brick clock tower), but once you get inside the shops and cafes are excellent.

If your taking the bike it’s half an hour to Church Stretton, Alan in Plush Hill Cycles will give you some good route advice and/or a map of the Long Mynd. Stiperstones above Eastridge is fantastic if you know where you are going.

zeesaffa
    Free Member

I’d suggest hooking up with a local Monner to show you some routes.

There are a couple of Facebook groups for Shrewsbury Mountain Bikers. Join them – and then see who’s about 🙂

When are you here?

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Soooo glad I took the Solaris. Such an amazing day and amazing ride.

I dropped the new bike off with Lee @Invisiframe and drove to Church Stretton. I then rode the MBR published Long Mynd route. Up Cardingmill. Across the top. Down no. 7 Minton Batch. Which, quite frankly, is the business. Up no.1 FC track then retracing the road before descending no. 9 to Little Stretton and then road back.

Top stuff. There looked to be loads more options for loops both sides of the Mynd. Shropshire looks like it has loads to offer too. So, I’ll be back with the new bike sometime this year. The campsite at Little Stretton looked a good base (there’s a pub nearby).

jekkyl

Nice. Minton batch is mint. What a great day for weather you had. Any pics?

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I thought about stopping and taking pics on a few I occasions, especially Minton Batch, but I was having too much fun to stop. So sorry, no pics. It was stunning though…so crappy iPhone pics would not have done it justice.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘I've got 3 hours to kill in Shrewsbury…’ is closed to new replies.