Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • I've gone to the dark side!
  • ianpinder
    Free Member

My first new bike in 3 years that’s not a nicolai!

I’ve ordered a ti genisis Equilibrium

Should be a nice ride… http://roadcyclinguk.com/news/gear-news/genesis-equilibrium-ti-995.html

Anyone risen te standard equilibrium

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ive got a standard steel once and its great, largely because it cost less than 250 quid.

To be fair, it looks like they’ve done an alright job with that titanium frame. But still, £2300 for a bike with 105 and (i imagine) shite wheels is alot of cash.

But, get some nice wheels and tyres for it and I reckon it’ll be a very good bike.

scaredypants

pretty frame. carbon fork painted to look like Ti ??

lemonysam
    Free Member

I have the standard equilibrium and love it to bits – bit of a genesis fanboy really. Have to say that if I was spending that kind of cash on a road bike it really wouldn’t be on that.

ianpinder
    Free Member

It is a large premium over the steel bike, however I looked around for a nice frame with eyelets for guards and bigger tires and this is what I found.

Hopefully should be a nice bike. It’s going to be my training bike as I have ordered an argon 18 for my ‘race bike’

geetee1972
    Free Member

I like mine also although I bought the frame and fork and built the bike up with super discounted parts but all good stuff, Ultegra and SRAM force. Its a very comfy bike and in the red paint with black components is aesthetically pleasing. I just did a comfortable 30 miles with a mate this evening. I think the Argon is going to break your spine though. I’m not sure I see the point in a Nicolai road bike. Steel is the best metal to make a frame from I think and if it’s not metal then carbon is the way to go. The Nicolai website doesn’t seem to indicate that the Argon is especially light either. Isn’t it something like 1.5kg? Makes it about the same as a fully custom built steel road frame. Something like an enigma or chas Roberts would be cheaper and built specifically for you, I.e. they would measure you up cut the tubes to fit and select the right tubing for your weight and riding style.

djglover
    Free Member

Frame looks nice, would be tempted by a frame only option. Built up with some campag and open pros.

Then again, if I was doing that it would probably be an enigma etape or a condor, not a genesis.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Nah geetee, an Argon 18

http://www.argon18bike.com/velo.html

ianpinder
    Free Member

I spoke to Simon about the argon road bike and came to the conclusion that it wasn’t a very good bike. Not because it was stiff, but because the geometry is all wrong. The argon 18 is going to be stiff, though I have ridden one and was comfy enough, an more important was stiff enough for me. I’m not your average biker!

Having said all that, I did ride across Africa on my nicolai Mtb, that was quite stiff too but my back survived. I’ll happily ride that all day. Last week we did from forking to Brighton off road and was perfectly comfy!

ianpinder
    Free Member

Geetee, David was right

I mean the argon 18 http://m.argon18bike.com/bike-detail.html?Id=9292484b-159f-4334-9e92-5de547cb6c3d

Not the nicolai argon, though that was originally a contender.

sefton
    Free Member

wow, you’ve really jumped into it! (its the way forward tbh) 😉

bike looks nice, not a huge fan of the painted fork

geetee1972
    Free Member

Geetee, David was right

I mean the argon 18

Ah I see now, that makes more sense. Mate I imagine people will be hardly able to recognise you these days! I’m trying to tread a similar path with the road bike, get some of my former fitness and glory back. The road bike makes just getting out for a pedal so much easier and I’ve been riding 32 miles a few times a week on my commute to and from work.

I didn’t know the Argon road bike was such a basket case but looking at the specs on paper you just knew that it wasn’t going to be a great road bike. Not sure of the point of a bike that weighs 1.5kg for a frame in uber stiff Aluminium when a good quality steel frame can weigh the same and be more forgiving.

BTW, my new AM arrived last week. Will post up some pictures on the MTBR forum shortly.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘I've gone to the dark side!’ is closed to new replies.