Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • I've found an excuse for some new disc brakes but what to get?
  • splashdown
    Free Member

My elixir 5’s have finally piss me off to the point of chucking them after 2 years of f#8king about with them 👿

What do you recommend to replace them – Hope Tech X2’s or Shimano M785 XT’s?

ruscle
    Free Member

Hope V2’s

richmtb

New Shimano XT’s seem to be getting a lot of great feedback. I’d definitely have them over Hope Tech X2’s

vondally
    Free Member

magura louise fr

dan1980
    Free Member

Formula K24s

flyingmonkeycorps

XTs over X2s any day. Dead cheap on Rose too, if they have any in stock.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Hope Tech X2’s for anything up to “aggressive XC”. If you are of “larger” build and/or do big Scottish descents then Tech M4’s. Just upgraded to M4’s and I can’t believe how much power and modulation they have.

Great thing about Hope is that they need zero maintenance and dead easy to do yourself when they do. Oh and you can get some low cost bling factor with coloured levers, reservoir caps and piston caps

martinhall
    Free Member

I had a very similar experience with Elixir CR’s. Been using Hope Tech M4 front and Hope TechX2 rear for the last month or so. Easy to shorten braided hoses and bleed without faffing about with bleed kits ect. In use, excellent. And replacement parts are a lot cheaper and easy to source.

carbon337
    Free Member

I have X2 and want M4 as i need more power on the front after an innerleithen uplift day yesterday.

Anyone have an M4 caliper – dont need the levers etc so i cant see point in buying a whole new setup.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

SLX here. Very impressive.

I was tempted by the Hopes as I love the levers but you can’t go wrong with Shimano.

splashdown
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback 🙂

I’ll probably go for the XT’s as they are a bit cheaper

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Formula R1.

The best brakes I’ve ever used by miles – sort of feel similar in power and control to twin discs on a motorbike, but with about one millionth the weight. Lightyears beyond the somewhat ‘intriguing’ and charismatic performance of Tech X2s.

sidders34
    Free Member

If you want hopes, Merlin have an extra 10% off on top of the VIP discount for the next day or tw.

Just ordered Front and rear M4’s for £200. Going to use old adaptors and discs

thomthumb
    Free Member

i owuld have shimano every time.

davidrussell
    Free Member

XT +1 – I’ve not used them *that* much but completely fit and forget so far with no maint for almost 2 years.

also used clarks pads with them on a 4 day trip round torridon ( that place eats pads for breakfast) and didn’t even use a full set where others wore out 2+ sets.

I’d love to attribute that to my lack of need for brakes or setup, but i fundamentally believe the pads retract further or have more clearance because i just didn’t use anywhere near the pad material that everyone else riding the same trail did.

they are reliable and powerful. doub’t i’d go back to Avids having had these

fluffykittens
    Free Member

Apparently we’ve got some old Hope brakes that we can let you have cheap… 😉

Brake-neck
    Free Member

I have a set of hope V2 for sale, excellent nick only 6 onths old if yer interested, price negotiable. 😉

toys19
    Free Member

before I opened this thread I was going to reccommend elixir 5’s I have 2 sets and they have been faultless. I also have saints, they are awesome..

fluffykittens
    Free Member

@ splashback

Go for the X2’s then you can get the pretty pink ones, dahling! 😛

splashdown
    Free Member

@ fluffykittens

Andy, you only want me to get the pink X2 so they don’t clash with your lippy 😉 😆

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

XTR 985, £ 270 all in from Merlin if your quick. Faff proof.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Shameless plug but I am selling some effectively brand new Tech X2’s with braided hoses and red piston caps, 183 and 160 adaptors and a 160 floating rotor for £180. Not had a chance to photograph yet hence not up in the FS section

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

And if you want to sell the Elixirs for a good price, i may be able to find them a home 😉

kaesae
    Free Member

Hope brakes are quite good, but the shimano brakes are superb.

I have just taken my mono mini’s from 2007 off and my moto’s as well, swapped them for some XT’s and Saint brakes.

Gribs

Hope for me until Shimano do spares. Having to throw away a brake because a 15p seal fails is wrong in so many ways.

fluffykittens
    Free Member

@ splashback

Oi, I’m not Andy – he’s Mr Fluffykittens! Thankyouverymuch 🙂

lodge
    Free Member

Nothing against shimano but love Hope brakes, because you can buy every spare possible off the shelf and there made down the road.

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

Hope!

had my Mini’s for 5 years, i’m 16 stone and never had a problem with stopping, even on the mojo @ Cwm Carn.

had a big crash and 44p late had replaced a rubber seal- brakes are as good as new again

obviously i’m biased and my only comparison is Hayes So1e which were worse than dragging your feet to stop

chakaping
    Free Member

785 XTs are a good choice, getting on very well with mine.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Brake-neck can you send me pics of the brakes please

mtbmad09@hotmail.com

Cheers

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Hope as they are made in the UK,very good quality and easy to get spares etc!!

jamescoulson
    Free Member

Shimano if you like stopping and Hope if you like supporting British industry!

wm4wm4
    Free Member

HOPE TECH X2s are the best brakes ive ever owned and ive pretty much owned them all…

Never bled in two years of hard riding and have taken a few knocks

Work well in the wet. a friend of mine has the pros if your looking for lightweight however no on the fly adjustability!

Hope is such an impressive UK company as well as having grat tech support

Hope this helps
    ps. Sorry for the lack of grammar

Northwind

Formula K24- better than Tech X2s for about half the price. Can’t compare with the new XTs though, haven’t tried them but I ended up buying a second set of Oros to replace my M775 XTs.

Just as easy to get spares as Hope now too, with the bonus that you’re far less likely to ever need them.

BeveledEdge
    Free Member

XTs! The work brilliantly, are endlessly reliable and bleed themselves!

wm4wm4
    Free Member

Very surprised to hear that someone rates Formula over the Hope. The build quality of the K24s is really poor, never seen one working properly. Seen so many faulty Formula brakes i wouldn’t go near them.

Hope may have gained a reputation for their older sport models but now the build quality is second to none!

wm4wm4
    Free Member

by the way read this article before making your mind up…:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/hope-technology-behind-the-scenes-30437

grum
    Free Member

Very surprised to hear that someone rates Formula over the Hope. The build quality of the K24s is really poor, never seen one working properly. Seen so many faulty Formula brakes i wouldn’t go near them.

Formula The One 🙂

I used to have Hopes which were ok but these are in a different league. Superlight and stupidly powerful – anyone who has a go on my bike nearly goes over the bars and decides their brakes are rubbish in comparison.

They were embarrassingly spendy though 😳

Northwind

I’ve got 4 sets of Oros, never had the slightest bit of bother from any of them… They’re very well made, or at least the newer ones are, the old ones had a stupid point-of-failure in the lever span adjuster which is now replaced. (don’t mistake machining for good build quality btw- proof of the pudding is in living with them). Ended up lending a set to someone at the hope endurance downhill who’d ironically had his V2s fail 😉

Though, some people do have trouble following the bleed instructions which leads to lots of problems.

stevemtb
    Free Member

I believe the SLXs are almost the same as the XTs, just missing one adjuster?

I just picked up a set off Rose with 180 rotors from Planet X (Rose were out of stock) for about £180. Initial impressions are very impressive but will see how they stand up to a muddy Relentless 24….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘I've found an excuse for some new disc brakes but what to get?’ is closed to new replies.