Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • I've finally joined the modern world of Fibre Optic Broadband!
  • mboy
    Free Member

WOW! Never used to get above about 4Mb connection previously…

What a difference… 😀

wysiwyg
    Free Member

mikewsmith
    Free Member

36 is that all 🙂

waiting for my 100mb connection…

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Grr ya barstards. I can barely get 7meg and 300k upload! Not gonna get fibre optic for 3 years!

Points and laughs at aphex – I had 12Mb/s on a Three Mobile 3G connection the other night.

That said, I thing my home broadband is only about 12Mb/s too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

also laughing at aphex, I’m guessing your only getting FTTC(or fridge) rather than FTTP over there.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We currently get about 2.5 mb.

However loathe to pat the extortionate prices that Sky/BT want for their fibre. Can it be got cheaper any other way?

Just now on Three Mobile – got a Huawei mi-fi unit with 15Gb data for £20 a month – for tethering the laptop to whilst working away from home…

aphex_2k
    Free Member

mikewsmith

don’t know what we’re getting, but we’re not getting it until 2015!

fttc would be fine if they laid new copper from the cab to the prem but if they use the existing length of copper its in a terrible state. im hoping for fttp.

im 1.6km from the exchange and can only get just under 7meg max. uploads are god awful and makes skyping the rellies back home a chore. better upload on my phone with 3g. it hurts as i had >50meg in the uk with virgin. for an internet junky like me, not being able to watch hd streaming, download, skype or just a reasonable browsing speed, it’s really missed.

2015. thats when nbn is planned for at this exchange. ridiculous eh?

convert

Off to see my mother in the highlands next week – she has broadband but not as you lot lot clearly know it – 200kb/s on a good day 😕

mikewsmith
    Free Member

edit – half way through post

mikewsmith
    Free Member

don’t know what we’re getting, but we’re not getting it until 2015!

[Australian Discussion]
    If it’s not started building your getting FTTC, good luck getting the crap copper replaced. We are under construction so should be one of the last FTTP sites.

The dates don’t really matter as they are all up for re negotiation and slim down/slash. I would expect it to take longer, cost the same and need more work doing in 5 years. So overall a great saving 🙂

[/Australian Discussion]

Stoner
    Free Member

well **** the lot of you! 🙁

allthepies
    Free Member

Is there much ASCII pr0n out there ? 😆

Drac

Just waiting for our street to be activated estimate is 33mb so good but not brilliant. My old flat around the corner from the good old days of out every night and certainly all weekend is estimating 76mb. It’s getting more and more tempting to go back to being a bachelor.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

A lot of the new builds and “nice” houses in the area have shite tinternet connections. The girfriend’s aunt who lives in a fairly new house worth £300000+ (which is a mansion for this area) cannot use a xbox and or stream films.? Why oh why when they build a new house do they not fire fiber into them?

bigyinn
    Free Member

FTTP? Ha! Not likely that will ever be standard except, POSSIBLY for new builds.

martinhutch

Not doing too badly on standard broadband compared with some of you lot.

Still thinking about BT Fibre broadband – trouble is, it comes bundled with crappy freeview telly.

kimbers

The good thing about free view is that it’s free !

martinhutch

It’s free alright – but up here we only get a third of the channels, and I’ll need a new aerial for £100+.

Pondering a separate freesat box to replace the sky box.

mark90
    Free Member

Virgin 60MB package…

No doubt someone will have faster.

I can remember first getting 0.5MB fibre, after 56k modem it was an absolute revelation. Nearly ended up with a strained wrist 😆

A work mate has moved into a £500k+ new house on a new development and he’s overly impressed that he’s getting 3-4MB at best, when it works! Made all the worse by the fact he was used to 70MB at his old house.

Northwind

bigyinn
    Free Member

Aaah dial up. When downloading a 56mb file took all day. You could start it off, go for a 30 mile ride and it would still be downloading, assuming it hadn’t crapped out first.

kimbers

I had a friend who was an IT whizz with a rich dad had a flat on edgeware road downloading the whole of star trek the next generation (178 episodes) in the early noughties, I believe, Im not sure how long it took him but I think hed been going for a week and still wasnt half way through!

Drac

Still thinking about BT Fibre broadband – trouble is, it comes bundled with crappy freeview telly.

You can get it separate.

chiefinspector
    Free Member

Aaah dial up. When downloading a 56mb file took all day. You could start it off, go for a 30 mile ride and it would still be downloading, assuming it hadn’t crapped out first.

A guy at my work who live out in the sticks told me he tried to download an episode of Breaking Bad only for the computer to say that this would take 7 1/2 months!!!

martinhutch

Pah. I still remember the days of:

[video]http://youtu.be/8fYFsBRVC8Y?t=44s[/video]

For 45 mins before failing five seconds before the end…

beej

Vodafone 4G, from my desk.

That’s not bad is it?

AlexSimon

I keep getting emails from BT saying I can go to Infinity2, but it’s always a lie 🙁

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘I've finally joined the modern world of Fibre Optic Broadband!’ is closed to new replies.