• This topic has 32 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • I've discovered the solution to tubeless inflation woes…
  • mboy
    Free Member

And here it is…

http://www.lezyne.com/en/alloy-dirt-floor-drive

Wish I’d discovered Lezyne’s HP floor pumps before, they really are awesome! Pumped a 29×2.2″ tyre from 0 to 40psi in only 25 strokes taking not much more than 10 seconds!

Not cheap, but soooooo worth it… 😀

wiggles
    Free Member

I thought this was going to be a sarcastic post with a picture of an innertube…

Northwind

Aye, HV pumps are ace- my Blackburns are cheap rubbish but they shift air like mad.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

25 strokes taking not much more than 10 seconds!

🙄 😳

Good effort sir, plenty of practice, keep it up

JoeG
    Free Member

^ 😆

On a more serious not, in my experience the gauge on the Lezyne pump are junk. And a PITA to replace; you have to destroy the old one to remove it!

mashiehood
    Free Member

blimey thats a coincidence, i bought the steel version dirt floor from ebay for 30 quid and inflated a tubeless with no issues – wish id found it sooner. No more faff/waster of CO2, ghetto bottle etc.

😀

UK-FLATLANDER

I can also recommend this Topeak pump – massive output. Topeak Mountain Pump

cheers_drive

Agreed the Dirt Drive is impressive

mboy
    Free Member

On a more serious not, in my experience the gauge on the Lezyne pump are junk. And a PITA to replace; you have to destroy the old one to remove it!

Lifetime warranty on Lezyne pumps. If it breaks, it gets sent back to be fixed or replaced!

Aye, HV pumps are ace- my Blackburns are cheap rubbish but they shift air like mad.

I can also recommend this Topeak pump – massive output. Topeak Mountain Pump

I’ve tried a few cheap HV pumps, and a couple of Topeaks before… NOTHING comes anywhere close to how good this Lezyne is! Wish I’d discovered them ages ago, they’re as effective as a small compressor.

birdy
    Free Member

I recently spent an entire weekend trying to inflate a tubless tyre for my road bike after changing the sealant. As i had managed to get it to inflate fairly easily in the summer I couldn’t understand why it wasn’t cooperating. Tried absolutely everything to get the damm thing to go up including coke bottle inflators etc. Getting more and more frustrated as it started to get dark I came in from the garden and tried once again in our warm heated kitchen. Bingo! Went up straight away. Seems obvious now, but a warm supple tubeless tyre is much easier to inflate.

postierich
    Free Member

Compresser £75 every mans workshop should have one!

doubledunter
    Free Member
    Dango
    Free Member

yep

mrjmt
    Free Member

linky?!?

singlespeedstu

they’re as effective as a small compressor.

You don’t own a compressor do you. 😆

I’ve had a dirt drive for a long time now and i’ve still not worked out a way you can use it to clean and dry small parts/power air tools. 😉

Good job work provide me with a compressor for my garage. 😀

mboy
    Free Member

Been doing the same job for a year now with a £15 halfords track pump

I bought one of those from a recommendation on here…

It did the job ok, for just over a year… Then it wore out! Buy cheap, buy twice…

The Lezyne is honestly, sooooooo many times better… And I will say it again, a lifetime guarantee!

Rich, a compressor really isn’t needed, the HV Lezyne track pumps are that good!

doubledunter
    Free Member

Been doing the same job for a year now with a £15 halfords track pump

I bought one of those from a recommendation on here…

It did the job ok, for just over a year… Then it wore out! Buy cheap, buy twice…

The Lezyne is honestly, sooooooo many times better… And I will say it again, a lifetime guarantee!

Rich, a compressor really isn’t needed, the HV Lezyne track pumps are that good!

Not doubting the fact Lenzyne is better but I’ve been using the halfords job for nearly 4 years now, inflating tubless tyres for a year with it, only cos Im too miserable to buy a compressor 😉

mboy
    Free Member

You don’t own a compressor do you.

Yes, but a crappy little 6L one that was about £40 and didn’t last all that long. Inflated tubeless tyres ok whilst it lasted, but small tank wasn’t much cop for anything else.

I’ve had a dirt drive for a long time now and i’ve still not worked out a way you can use it to clean and dry small parts/power air tools.

Well, yeah, I was talking specifically for pumping tubeless tyres up though mate to be fair.

Dango
    Free Member

got mine for free years and years ago so had no idea what they cost

something like this: http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-ranger-7240-2hp-24-litre-air-compresso

singlespeedstu

Blimey mboy.
    You I think you need to lighten up a bit.
    It’s only a bit of banter.

You keep pumping away and I’ll just pull a trigger. 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

fandango
    Free Member

This almost exactly what I’m looking for… I’m in need of a new track pump and immlooking to go tubeless in due course. My only other requirement is that I’d like the pump to get beyond 100psi so that it can also look after the road bike. Does anyone know if Lezyne’s floor drive (ie not dirt floor drive) would be as good as mboy’s experience?

cheers_drive

It needs to be the Dirt drive as it’s high volume.
    Don’t bother with the fancy ones though the steel one does the job just the same. The push on connector is cool too.

fandango
    Free Member

Thanks cheers_drive. (off to look at dirt floor drives)

mudmonster
    Free Member

Thinking about getting one of these on mboys recommendation , shame they only go up to 70 psi. It’s the only thing stopping me.

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLtBojvDEyc[/video]

mudmonster
    Free Member

Wouldn’t wanna try that with lightweight bike tyres.

jonba
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/diy-tubeless-tyre-inflators

built one from a plant sprayer and it has worked well so far.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Bought one, it didn’t work. It doesn’t fit over the valve when the core is removed. Looks nice though.

luffy105
    Free Member

Lifetime warranty on Lezyne pumps. If it breaks, it gets sent back to be fixed or replaced!

Wish i had known that before. The abs chuck failed on mine after 2 months and Wiggle said ‘tough’ and made me buy a new one.

Nobby

All that means is any idiot can change one without worrying about damaging it 🙂

Goldigger
    Free Member

I use a topeak joe blow sport ii, push the tyre down with your thumb so that you contact the rear of the valve, hold it there.
    Then proceed to pump it up..blows up quicker IMHO as less air escapes around the valve.

Works for me every time.

mboy
    Free Member

You keep pumping away and I’ll just pull a trigger.

😆

Thinking about getting one of these on mboys recommendation , shame they only go up to 70 psi. It’s the only thing stopping me.

It’s high volume, or high pressure I’m afraid. There are pumps on the market that have a switch to go from high volume to high pressure, but those that I’ve tried haven’t been ultimately as good at doing either.

The normal high pressure Lezyne Floor Drives are a very nice bit of kit still, but don’t really shift enough air to mKe tubeless inflation easy.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘I've discovered the solution to tubeless inflation woes…’ is closed to new replies.