Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • I've discovered i like rum
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

This is the only rum I have tasted, only because it was free at many sailing events I raced at. I do remember vividly the colour of the sky, the wind and the motion of the yacht I was racing on after a night in the yacht club drinking this stuff.

I’ve never touched it since.

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

If budget permits then this bad boy is worth ever penny: Diplomatico

ulysse
    Free Member

The Austrians in the hydraulic industry my brother in law was schmoozing to buy UK PTFE hose were knocking back a measure after a ski run to ward off the cold, that’s how we were introduced to it… Yeah it’s more traditional in baking though! To me that’s a waste as the taste is sublime

mechanicaldope

Bacardi? 😈

spw3

Diplomatico.

iamtheresurrection

+1 for Pussers if it’s dark rum you’re after. I think it’s easily the best of those readily available.

professor_fate
    Free Member

Stroh 80 is really only recommend as an ingredient for baking/cooking etc but the 40 is lovely as is… Had to stop buying it on my recent Austrian trip as was getting too used to it 😯

zeesaffa
    Free Member

Hot treated to a bottle of this last xmas. Made me realise how good rum can be!

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/4478/el-dorado-rum-15-year-old-special-reserve

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Went to a great place in the BVIs, Callwood, good rum. But for UK drinking Mountgay every time..

And making a Mojito or any cocktail with Bacardi is wrong, Havana Club is better, and the owners didn’t flee to Miami when the revolution happened.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Havana Club.

breninbeener

Thank you for all your suggestions and advice….a trip to the shops is required!!

RichPenny
    Free Member

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Anyone tried Brugal?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Or Gosling’s?

matt10214
    Free Member

I’ll second Cockspur and Woods 100!

Ron Barcelo is nice too.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Flor de Cana have some tasty brews…

riddoch

Any one tried dark matter, claims to be the first uk distilled rum.

poolman
    Free Member

Flor de Cana 12 year old if I am feeling wealthy 7 year old if poor. Always in a huge glass on loads of ice

Mikeypies
    Free Member

If you like Woods try ODV rum not as strong and as recommended my dad who had a tot of rum issued every day in the RN. It’s also great neat over rocks or with coke if you wish.

El Dorado is available at Aldi at Xmas at much cheapness both the 8 and 15 year old (well has been for 2 years or so)

ulysse
    Free Member

Tesco finest limited edition Cocoa & spiced rum crisp, anyone? I’m finding them surprisingly moorish

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

And making a Mojito or any cocktail with Bacardi is wrong, Havana Club is better,

yep, and a proper syrup makes all the difference.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

yep, and a proper syrup makes all the difference.

Where does a syrup fit into a Mojito?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

gomme

seosamh77
    Free Member

havana 7, kraken is the usual fair for myself. though i’ve not tried any expensive rums(actuall i’ll stick something on my christmas wishlist). personal favourite when i see it behind the bar is Angostura 1919, lovely stuff that.

jairaj

lovebadger – Member
    Diplomatico… Outstanding

You can get it from

Amazon

You sir are my new best friend. Tried some last year on a Stag party in Annecy absolutely loved it!

Another vote for Mount Gay XO for sipping on its own. If mixing I like Kraken with ginger ale and lots of Lime. Old J’s is also good for mixing.

frankconway

Go to Cuba; original Havana Club distillery in…..Havana – forget the 3/7/10 yr stuff in the uk; taste and buy the stuff they don’t export for retail; better still for something really authentic go to Santiago da Cuba but whatever you do, go now – before the place is overrun with americans and their culture.
    Nothing against US – one of my sons lives there but they like conformity, standardisation, homogeneity; within 5 years Cuba will become an extension of Florida.
    Individuality, history, culture – how little will survive the ‘mighty (?) dollar’.’
    Bad enough that too many Canadians visit now but the worst is yet to come.
    Fidel is out of the picture; Raoul is an old man; population generally want higher standard of living and the end of the dual currency; interesting…………..

sbob
    Free Member

jamesgarbett – Member

Or Gosling’s?

Gosling’s Black Seal?
    75.5% ABV?

Delightfully warming! 😀

hora
    Free Member

Mount Gay
    Cockspur
    Appleton’s

matt10214
    Free Member

Good call on Santiago De Cuba Frank, you can visit Ron Bacardi’s old house and distillery there!

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘I've discovered i like rum’ is closed to new replies.