Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • I've broken my golden rule of owning a car
  • heresjonny
    Free Member

I’ve just gone over 100,000 miles, I have never kept a car upto this mileage. Always get rid of them around the 90-95k. But I just love it, its got crap fuel economy, insurance is high, if it breaks it will cost me a fortune.
    Following on from the other thread, 2 kids, 4 bikes,4 seats does’nt really fit. No roof rack, no roof box.

samuri
    Free Member

My cavalier had done 210,000 miles when I sold it. It was fairly tatty by that stage but still went well. Bodywork was a bit dodgy in places. Great car. That’s how I see cars myself. If they’re costing me money and worry sell, if not keep.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Wouldnt buy a car before 95K, only a nutter would go for that sort of depreciation.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

my golden rule is “don’t have a car”.

loddrik
    Free Member

Had my touran for 4 years and it’ll probably hit 100k later in the year. Has never missed a beat in 80k of my ownership and still drives as it did when I got it. It’s the perfect bike car and I’ll probably still have it when it reaches 200k. Buying new cars every year or so is for fools or rich people.

mrmo
    Free Member

got my Octavia at 114k now at 174k, hopefully the mot today will be ok.

bazzer
    Free Member

My Octavia Vrs estate is comming upto 130K miles, I have had it from new and it deffo does not drive like it did when it was new. Would like to change it but cant get up the motivation to waste a load of money.

mogrim

My bloody car’s gone wrong, Renault electrics are indeed made of cheese 😡

5lab

had my diesel mondeo from 120,000 miles (was £1000 at that point). Now on 180,000 miles, and the damn thing just won’t break. The only thing to go other than service items is the central locking playing up occasionally. I can’t justify getting rid of a car that’s so cheap to run – yet thats stopping me from buying something more interesting. Argh :s

wwaswas

Got my (pre-GM) Saab900SE from 70,000 up to 135,000 and still regret selling it…

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve just gone over 100,000 miles, I have never kept a car upto this mileage

No point worrying about that. It’s not really particularly high mileage these days. 100k is a purely arbitrary figure anyway, I’d not expect a decent car to start flagging until 150k or 12 years or so, depending on how it’s been used and looked after.

Hairychested
    Free Member

My Pug is on 180k miles and should keep going for at east another 2 years (40k a year). It’d be faster if I washed it and more comfortable if I valeted it, will it ever happen?

SaxonRider

The Volvo estate I had before I left Canada had 310000 on the clock before I sold it to a friend who was still using it 5 years later.

My current VW Caravelle (T4) has 190000, and doing just fine.

boxelder

Renault electrics are indeed made of cheese

Yes, I’d heard that they suffer ‘from age’……….

I wrote off a hire car in the summer with under 3,000 on the clock – not even run in. Crash wasn’t my fault though, so don’t feel guilty.

willard

Bless… My Frontera’s just done 225k.

Look at all the young cars with their low mileages…

takisawa2

52′ plate Mondeo here, on only 158k. Keep them serviced, drive them sensibly. IMO, modern diesels dont take kindly to stop/start 2 mile commutes. Luckily ours gets a 40 mile dual carriageway beasting off the Wife, three times a week.

ianpinder
    Free Member

I’m no allowed to keep my car over 80k. guess I must be rich

woodsman
    Free Member

168 on my petrol Vectra, still doing the job, 40mpg and I’ve just got a new Mot on it (96)! I had a Cavilier before that that I scrapped at 180K, burnt no oil, better on fuel than the Vectra, body went home in a few places – wasn’t worth repairing I thought.

willard

Ooops. I do a 4 mile commute in my Frontera. Luckily, it’s not really modern so it should be ok.

skiboy
    Free Member

My wifes tdi golf has done 110,000 since she got it new, a present from her dad
    It’s hardly ever cost us a penny , looks tatty but who cares,

I just sold my 1986 military defender 110 which I payed 5500 for in 2003 and got
    4k for it !!! Twice as much as the golfs is worth and the gold is a 51 !!

Scamper
    Free Member

My Mondeo 54 plate 1.8 petrol has done 116k with 35k since I bought it a year ago. Possibly the best car i’ve ever owned. Will just run it into he ground and buy another one.

earbyphil
    Free Member

Willard.
    You do a 4 mile commute in your car!!! Why not ride a bike?

RustySpanner

Edited.

It’s just tempting fate, isn’t it?

spandex_bob

3 Series touring diesel, 243k miles. Does that put me in second place?! Think its still on its original clutch, exhaust and turbo too.

IHN

I got rid of my Golf (to fund a camnper) with 137k on the clock. I was gutted, it just kept going and going… loved that car 😥

molgrips
    Free Member

Ooops. I do a 4 mile commute in my Frontera. Luckily, it’s not really modern so it should be ok.

Dunt matter. Still won’t do it any good.

Take it for long runs weekly.

scotabroad

Why worry about it? If its reliable, suites your needs, you like it etc. flogging it for tuppence and spending several thousand on a newer model will be far more expensive (generally speaking) than any benefit you will get in better mpg/ lower road tax etc.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

passat is on 190k now, still on first clutch

never cost us enough to justify getting rid of it, if it costs me more than £1500 at any point then it’ll go. until then it’s just a car that works. The cost of paying interest on a loan to buy a new car will outweigh the costs of keeping it on the road as far as i’m concerned

rich_tee
    Free Member

always amazed how people seem to think once a car gets to 100K or is older than 5 years old it’s going to turn into a pumpkin. Having worked in the trade, amazed to see that thought when it reached 3 years old.
    You should see some of the antiques used on a daily basis in France.
    VW Passat diesel 192K.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

it’s a myth perpetuated by the lease hire companies

I think the fact that the majority of company cars are replaced every 3 years is an absolute travesty

mind you it keeps the market full of 3 year old cars that i can buy satisfied that the big whack of initial depreciation has been payed by someone else 🙂

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

saab 9-3, bought @ 80k, p/ex’ed @ 125k
    only went because i got when commuting in from the country and was an amazingly cheap car to run on cruise control down the dual carriageway. fuel figures went mental when i moved into the town though, so when a hefty mot bill came in, it went.

company cars are replaced every 3 years is an absolute travesty

may be bollox but don’t cars skip mot for the first 3 years? so fleet managers don’t need to think about scheduling mot’s and time off road for repairs (hire car costs) when they fail.

singletrackmind

Y plate Passat PD TDi

Just clocked over 257K. Bought at 234K for £800 . Cost me a Cat Conv (£139) and 3 oil changes and a set of tyres so far .

Bangernomics at its finest . Will be for sale in April , will be looking for another Passat ,a little younger.

Basil

Furthest I’ve got so far is a Mk1 Fiesta 1.1l. Managed 154000 before inner wings called time.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

All these posts make me feel better about the 100k A3 TDI that I am getting in a fortnight, mind you its been owned by my brother in law since new and has a full audi service history.
    Anyone want to buy an 03 Mini Cooper?

Inbred456
    Free Member

Saab 900T16 Aero sold it at 285K. I was the second owner, my uncle owned it from new passed it on to me at 260K. I sold it to a lad who restored the bodywork. Engine and running gear spot on, the window pillars were starting to go. That was a quick car, turbo boost valve was faulty. Bang whoosh hold on to the steering wheel for dear life, wahayyyy! 😯

Bought my current motor a year ago with 2.5k on the clock, it now has 42k. Cost me £11k for a £20k+ motor

I’ll only keep it another year, as it’s residuals will fall approaching 100k, it will start to have problems that cost me money and it will cost me money in lost time if it breaks down.

I may lease, or buy nearly new, dunno yet.

DrP

I was in a diesel Octavia taxi the other day – had just tipped 400k!!!
    Kept shifting into reverse rather than third, though….

DrP

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ll only keep it another year, as it’s residuals will fall approaching 100k, it will start to have problems that cost me money

Not necessarily.

And getting a new car costs money just the same as fixing an old one. Quite possibly more so.

Not many old cars cost 2-300 each month to keep running, do they? Not even TINAS’s old banger I’d wager 🙂

hora
    Free Member

bazzer thought of a bushes/etc refresh? could work wonders for relatively cheap..

It costs me £200 pcm in finance at the moment and will continue to do so for the next 4 years, so I may as well just transfer that cost to a newer vehicle.

It’s a business cost and will probably exist in one form or another throughout the life of my business.

One of these next maybe if leasing…

Or one of these…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘I've broken my golden rule of owning a car’ is closed to new replies.